Need Some Help Applying Skin

Author Comment
 Offline BrenGun

Sort of overwhelmed here since the unexpectedly fast switchover from Forumer. I'd like to customize and probably eventually use a custom skin for my forum, but would like to use one for now from the skin library. Except that no matter what I do I cannot apply it to my forum. I can switch between Beta default skins, but that's it. I can choose a skin from the library, apply it to my customized community skins and hit preview or apply and neither work. I cannot even see a preview of what it would look like. When I hit preview it brings up a new window with the same old default skin.
Is there something that I'm missing in the Community Display Options Tab? Not even sure what those options do, but what is the difference between Yuku and ezboard Default Topic Layout?
I've tried searching here, but only seem to be able to find the instructions as I've followed them above...

Offline andrew

Admin

To be absolutely honest, I have never worked with one of these new beta UI boards and I have no clue what the heck you may have in your control panel and what may or may not work for you. I have to admit that I would sure love to look and see.

From what you are saying above, you seem tp have template (layout) options available to you, which will not work. You also seem to have access to the skin library, where not one skin will work on your type of board. In other words, what you are explaining is what I would expect but do question why you are able to see them as options in the first place.

Again, this addresses why you have searched and found nothing. This is a completely different animal and one that none of us have encountered as yet.

I can understand you being overwhelmed with the sudden move and gaining access again. I can understand you being pretty shocked at that disgusting style you were landed in too. At least you have managed to find a way to get yourself more comfortable colors. I have no idea why they are putting people on a beta template system, which has a very long way to go before it will ever come close to the styles we have on the like of this board.

It may not go down too well with staff but I am inclined to suggest you submit a ticket requesting to be opted out of beta testing the new UI and reverted to the standard board format such as this. You obviously want to customize and I do not believe that is currently possible with that UI (User Interface). This is the reason why around 90% of us rejected it when it was first announced in July last year. We're not anti the change so much, we are anti the losses that are associated with it.

On the choice of layout, which is not working for you, I would suggest either you choose default or yuku. The ezBoard layout is not a lot different and was mainly designed to ease migrations but is quite an old look from the late 1990's.

I really am sorry to hear that you have been landed here like this as it could have been so much better for you. The more they push that in an incomplete state, the more resentment there will be.

In the meantime, we should be able to help with just about anything other than styling.

Oh ... and welcome to yuku! Image

Offline BrenGun

Andrew thanks very much for the quick reply! Hmmm... yeah, I may try to initiate a ticket then. So are all the old Forumer boards automatically put into the beta testing of the UI that I have as well? Are the skins then going to be phased out entirely or I guess what I'm wondering then is can I expect things to be more or less customizable in the future?
I would love to able to do more with the layout but the five default choices are pretty limited and are all pretty well alike. I don't think that I even have the option of going back and forth between the Yuku or the ezBoard layout as nothing really seems to change.
Thanks again for your long reply and commiseration, Andrew! I'll let you know what if anything changes! Image

Offline andrew

Admin

We've been after the same answers and got no reply (as they simply do not know themselves).

No, The first wave of Forumer boards went on the standard format. Here is an example: http://dave.fr.yuku.com/ Not rightly sure how many waves of migrations there have been but I think it is only this last one, where the UI has been changed. One thing in common though, they do tend to pick a pretty disgusting skin to land people in. Found one: http://desiforume.fr.yuku.com/ This poor guy has fallen foul of the multi-layer forums. Mostly Forumer migrants have found their way around and have customized their boards to suit themselves.

Yes, please do let us know how you get on. We'd very much like to know.

I wish there was a way I could get my hands on a testboard with hat UI on. I'd sure like to have a poke around. Maybe I will ask. Image

Offline BrenGun

Thanks again, Andrew. Please keep me in mind if you get any further input into their plans. That first forum that you link to is more or less what I was used to and was hoping to get back to something near to it at least for a start. I will keep you posted as well.
Also, do you have any idea if Yuku allows any form of FTP? I've been playing with the idea of hosting the forum myself with the same webhost that hosts my site that the forum is linked to.
Thanks again! Image

Offline andrew

Admin

No, there never has been any form of FTP and it is unlikely there ever will be.

If you make yourself a test board, you will see how different it is. I have asked for a new UI test board and the CS agent is going to ask a dev if they can make me one. It won't take me long to figure out what you have.

If you are asking if they will allow a dump, the answer is currently no. This is a suggestion I have put forward though but I will get no feedback from it.

Offline BrenGun

Yes, that was what I was wondering... Wish that I had had the savvy back when I started it to realize that it was something that I should have hosted myself. Four years later, its too large to just start over again and lose what I have.
Thanks again, Andrew.

Offline andrew

Admin

Back in 2005, we were promised the ability to do this in the wake of the ezBoard alleged hack, which resulted in major data loss. Things went very quiet for a long while, when this was mentioned. The pages it appeared on were removed. They were also removed from the web archive too. It was around 2008 when a staff member did actually respond and said they could not do this because it contained personal data relating to the members. That did shut people up but the truth is that a backup need not contain user data (everything is done using a User ID) and besides, it is no big deal to sanitize a dump and remove email addresses or whatever. Either way, it was a fob-off.

Yuku has changed hands a few times since then and I have raised this again (in conjunction with providing import tools) as a suggestion to CrowdGather. My angle was "Put your money where your mouth is". The truth is that if they make a good product, people will stay. If they fail, they will run.

I notice your stats do not show the total topics. You do have a lot of posts. That's not bad going for 4 years. We can never be certain how something will work out until we try it. It's very hard to find any free host that will allow you access to your own data.

Offline BrenGun

Speaking of which, I just noticed that now too that there are no stats for total topics as there was with Forumer. Is there any way to customize that?

Offline andrew

Admin

I doubt it.

Just looked at the HTML and I can see no way. As I am already bugging "Agent Green", I may as well submit feedback on it. Shouldn't be too hard for them to add. In fact, the stats look like they were hastily thrown together as an afterthought. Probably more work needed here anyway.

Offline andrew

Admin

Feedback has been passed on.

Offline auntiem

andrew wrote:If you make yourself a test board, you will see how different it is. I have asked for a new UI test board and the CS agent is going to ask a dev if they can make me one. 
I take it from this comment that if I open a new test board I'll still get the old UI?  I was thinking about opening a new test board in hopes I would get one with the new format so I could play.

Offline andrew

Admin

Yes.

If I get one, you can come and play.

Offline auntiem

TY. Image

Offline BrenGun

Submitted a ticket this morning to ask about getting out of this beta test. Wish me luck. My board has been incredibly quiet. I'm hoping that members have been finding it with the new url. I notice that I've been re-directed automatically, but am not sure if my other members have been as well. I have essentially been active with two only other members. I need to send out a mass email to everyone letting them know about the change. I've tried notifying everyone with social media, Facebook and Twitter but am not sure if everyone has gotten the message. Does anyone know how much longer the url will be re-directed?

Offline BrenGun

Wow, got an instant reply, but boy do I feel silly... it was simple. I simply disabled the beta testing of the templates and now I can apply skins... I completely overlooked it. Well, thanks again for the help Andrew. I'm sure that I'll be back eventually with more questions.

Offline andrew

Admin

Oh, I am so pleased to hear that!

Would you mind telling people how to get out of this situation, so it helps future readers?

If you wouldn't mind, would you please start a new topic for anything you need help with? This helps later readers find things.

Offline BrenGun

Hi again, Andrew, yes I will... here's a copy of the email. Again, slapping my head that I missed it!
Hello and welcome to Yuku.

Yes you can turn off the Responsive design and use our normal skins or create your own.
This can be turned off by following these steps:

1) Click and admin link at the top in your navigation bar.
2) Click on Beta Forum Style in the design section in the sidebar.
3) Click the blank tab at the top next to "enabled"
4) Scroll down and click the save button to save the changes.
5) Click customized skins in your sidebar, you will then be in your skins section and any skin you pick and apply will work.

If you have any problems with that, let us know Image.

Offline andrew

Admin

Thanks Brendan. Image

See? We do not have that link in the menu. i.e. we cannot turn it on. I did ask for a test board with it on and I have received a response but no action.

I must admit I was a little confused when I saw what looked like recent migrations using standard templates. Might be an interesting stat to monitor just how many turn it off.