Search fix for words that are "too common" - phpBB3

Author Comment

We have sports boards, and on our baseball board, we're unable to search for the team's best player because both his first and last name are "too common." Is there a fix for that?

As an aside, "photobucket" falls into the "too common" category on this board.

Admin

ACP > General (tab) > Server Configuration > Search Settings > "Common word threshold"

A higher number will allow more occurrences. Zero will disable the feature.

The Search Index needs to be rebuilt after any change: Maintenance (tab) > Search Index > "Delete index" (then (re)"Create index").

Thanks for the heads-up on Photobucket. I think I should disable common words here. For your board, your database will expand horrifically in size. You may wish to consider offering a Google site search at the bottom of pages. Rebuilding the search index should be done at a quieter time of operation, e.g. overnight. For your board, it will certainly take hours and may take longer than a day.

Admin

At 40 posts per second, that would take just under 6 hours. Of course, the rate will fluctuate and probably safe to say that it should be complete overnight. Sometimes indexing stops, and a page refresh is required to restart it. (The pop-up window does nothing really, so you can close this.) If that fails to kick it back into action (after a pause), then go back and click create again and it will continue from where it left off. It may cause a little slowness.

Thanks!

When you refer to disabling, is that the same as setting the common word threshold to something other than zero?

Admin

No. I would guess it is similar to a setting of 100%, if that were possible. I honestly do not know how best to suggest you set it to achieve the result you wish. A higher number may work and zero certainly will work. Talking about a day between trials and the amount of resources used, hardly makes trial and error a good option.

As phpBB search is not that great, you might find a Google site search better and it certainly uses less of your resources.

The trial and error aspect occurred to me immediately. :) It's possible that a very slight bump from zero could address this; it's also possible that a significant one would be necessary.

How would we keep a Google search "under control," i.e. keeping it out of the members-only forums while allowing it to search the fully public ones?

Could we use more than one Google search, e.g. one at the forum level and one for the entire board (public forums only).

Also, there'd be the matter of subforums. We have a members-only subforum of a public forum.

Admin

Sorry, I did not realize you already had a setting of zero. In that case, if common words are still being found, your search needs reindexing.

This is a Google site search for the keyword "Jim". http://goo.gl/RVx1p

It follows bot rules, so whatever your permissions are for bots, it follows them.