Posting video clips

Author Comment

Andrew, I'm having one of my [in]famous "hazy recollections" ~ I kinda/sorta remember you posting that there is a way to allow more than just YouTube video clips to be posted, but I've searched and can't find that ~ will you please steer me to what I'm looking for? ~ or if this is all in my imagination, please let me down gently ~ :P

Sooz

Admin

If memory serves me correctly, you only have a youtube bbCode. This method is absolutely rock solid but as you have discovered, it is limited. There is an alternative bbCode available, that makes use of JavaScript to render (if memory serves me correctly) 72 different types of video. These days, using JavaScript to do this is quite acceptable because it is exceptionally rare for anyone not to have it or use it. The fallback would simply be the they do not view the videos.

Do bear in mind though that there are many sites where this just will not work. In general, most sites would prefer that you view the video on their own pages. The chances are they may not offer embedding in whatever manner. Additionally, sites are beginning to block this practice.

So, long story short: using a generic "video" bbCode is not as rock solid and will need attention from time to time as sites change their methods.

Thanks, Andrew ~ I need to give this more thought ~ no one is really complaining about the limitation ... except me ~ :P ~ and I'm a BIG fan of "absolutely rock solid" ~

Sooz

Hi Andrew! *waves hellooooo*

I just got back from my convention and here's my question.. I have quite a few videos I took with my phone. I uploaded one onto the server (under the videos file). Is there a way to post them onto my forum like how the youtube video bbcode does but from my own server or no?

Admin

You could make a custom bbCode but on the other hand, uploading to YouTube makes them a nice size and format for all viewers as well as giving you the opportunity for inbound links. :)

Ah okay! That's what I figured! I will work on just setting up a youtube account today and doing it that way! Thank you!! ;)