Restriction on email addresses? phpBB3

Author Comment

phpBB3 : I tried to change someone's password and email address from the ACP as the user had not been able to access the forum for a while.

But when I try to insert a different email address , .....@yahoo.co.uk, it says "Warning, the email address you entered is not allowed to be used"

Is there a restriction on Yahoo addresses perhaps? or what?

I sent a test email to that address and, as yet, it hasn't bounced.

Admin

Not on phpBB there is not. Perform a member search for the email address in question. You will likely find that it is in use. Even if the email address does not show on a member list search, it may still be tied to an inactive account. In that case, I know of no way to search for it other than by querying the database or working through them one by one.

How does "user had not been able to access the forum for a while" relate to the necessity to change an email address?

Also, there really should be no need for a Global Moderator to change a password for someone as there is a password reset page they can use themselves. I'm wondering if there is more to this than meets the eye or if something simple is being missed.

The user has not been able to access the forum for ages, but didn't let anyone know.

I was attempting to "reset" his password and whilst doing that changed his email address to the one he'd sent by text, and I could then forward his new login details to his "new" email address.

It's such an unusual email address that I doubt it would be in use, but I'll trawl through one by one just in case as there's only about 50 users on this particular board.

Admin

paul4 wrote:The user has not been able to access the forum for ages

Symptoms?
paul4 wrote:I was attempting to "reset" his password and whilst doing that changed his email address to the one he'd sent by text

Forget the email address for a mo. Just get the guy in whatever it takes. Put in your own email address. Anything! It doesn't matter. After he has gained access, the email address is easily changed.

Check your bans too in case there is a full or partial match there. Email bans serve very little purpose, so there should not be many.

Symptons? None if the user just seems too have disappeared. He's apparently only just resumed contact by phone.

I'll do those things :) , thanks

I usually use the public Members link to search for e-mail addresses. After following that link from the index page, hit the "Find a member" link, and you'll see a bunch of options. An admin will have a lot more search options than typical users would.

Another workaround might be to allow e-mail addresses to be used on multiple accounts. I'm not sure where that setting is offhand, but I do recall that the default was to allow an e-mail address to only be used on a single account.

Outside of that, I like Andrew's suggestion to use any e-mail address that works to get the member in and deal with the problem later.

Also, if you deal with the address change as an admin rather than having the member do it, you can ensure that he isn't locked out again. I don't know what your settings are, but on our boards, if a member changes his e-mail, the account is deactivated until an admin reactivates it. If an admin does it, deactivation is bypassed.

Thanks Casey. Have never noticed a "find a member" link before, now I know it will be useful.

I can't find the settings you refer to, I will have another look.

I used to have a "toolkit" that gave lots of useful things, don't know where that went :\

Admin

The issue is that the advanced "Find a member" only searches the active members and it is the only way to search by email address. i.e. inactive members are not included here. Seems like an oversight to me. The only way to search for an inactive member is query the database. This is a total pain, especially if there are many inactive members.

Email bans are a third place to look. There is a high change that an over-zealous Admin has placed a wildcard ban on say "*@yahoo.co.uk" because they got a bit of spam from there at some point. Perhaps an uninformed Admin has placed a single "*" as a ban and nobody can register or change their email address.

Hence: get the member in is the highest priority on all counts. If it is found that NO email address works, it is pretty obvious where to look.

Email bans are fairly pointless unless you wish to prevent *@mail.ru", *@123.com", a member that you have deleted off the member list if you disallow multiple accounts per email or a particular member if you do allow multiple accounts per email address. (This setting is found on the User registration settings page [General tab].) If there is more than a handful, there is probably too many.

---

I just noticed your post Paul. If this is phoenix, shoot me the username by PM or email.

The toolkit you have installed might be out of date. Ours died once because of that.

I think I've banned only one e-mail address, but I banned characters before the "@" rather than characters after it. It stopped a spammer who wasn't very sneaky. I could probably remove that ban now.

Our inactive list is so short that I could check it manually.

Admin

Yeah, version check is a killer. I only ever find out when I go to use it or someone else tells me.

Nothing in the STK to help anyhow.

No Andrew, it's not Phoenix but a.n.other

As admin I can't change this user's email address - even to a brand new gmail one

Logged in as the user and can't change the email address, it again says "not allowed to be used"

There must be a setting about not changing email addresses? not found it yet.

btw. into 8th week of illness, not firing on all cylinders :\

Admin

Nope.

Have you checked your bans?

Users and groups > Ban emails

Scroll down to "Un-ban or un-exclude e-mails".

Hopefully there are none. If there are, scrutinize them for a wildcard.

I have other ideas. Keep up the bounces and we'll get there.

Dohh :o

There's a whole list of *@ email listed in the banned thingy, including yahoo and gmail

I should have 1. Interpreted the "not allowed" warning as that, and 2. Read what you guys were saying.

Can't do this on my tablet now, but my embarrassment will be complete tomorrow when I remove these and get it sorted. :\

thanks

Admin

paul4 wrote:Have never noticed a "find a member" link before, now I know it will be useful.
That was the give away. I assumed you knew where these things were.

What? the give away to my stupidity? or to my firing on less cylinders? :\

Admin

I think the latter may have made the question necessary.

It was a roll... You showed you were unaware of the only place an email search can be performed (but there are two routes in), then you did not say specifically that email address bans were OK, so I reiterated with directions on how to find them. Once you had the directions, you found the cause.

Do feel free to delete this tail! :lol

Why delete? I'm not ashamed to sit in the naughty corner :lol

All sorted now on the board, thanks.

Admin

Good! Pleased to hear that! :)

The answer? Because I don't really care. Things that are irrelevant to a help topic can easily go as it could make the answer quicker for a later reader to find. I do try to answer any question in the first reply but for one reason or another this does not always work out. How many times have you ended up on some help forums, where people either guess or just say something to take up a post? Quite frustrating for later readers looking for the same answer. It doesn't have to be cleaned up and all I was doing was making sure you knew the option was OK.

True, you could apply the same principle and leave it as there are bound to be others that get in the same position.

What this topic did not even get near was the possibility that it was a MOD causing the issue.

All that is required for a login is Username and Password. While it may be impossible for phpBB not to have an email address for someone, it will still work just fine if they have absolutely nothing in that field. This can happen as a result of a conversion or a database edit. The account will work and the email address is not required. Hence, trying anything (has to be a valid MX record normally) in the email field is worthwhile. This would quickly show you that yahoo.co.uk and gmail.com would not work and if you had persisted, you may have found something that did. The user can have their password changed and you can chase the cause later. People have a lot less patience these days but I think fisherman have a bit more than average.

Once you knew more than one email address would not work, it does point towards the bans. It takes 10 seconds to change an email address, so it is no great hardship to correct at a later time. Why you cannot do these things on a Nexus using Chrome, I have no clue. Having said that, apps like Tapatalk just do not work with Admin controls and it barely works with Mod controls either.

Not Nexus and Chrome simply because

1. It's a pain having iconised bookmarks, especially as they cannot be sorted, so I limit to a dozen or so

2. It's a pain that when typing anything auto-correct often changes the words that you put in. This is not good for usernames or passwords :)

3. I limit the number of passwords remembered by Chrome, so to utilise any of my 200 or so I have to plug in my flash stick, and searching a textfile is a pain so one ends up scrolling, and that's a lot of scrolling.

Hence I'd rather wait until I have a pc, mouse, keyboard, decent copy/paste facility and no auto-correct.

Another thing about Nexus is that on some (not phpBB) Admin CPs the data columns are wider than the Nexus' display, and there's no horizontal scroll

Admin

Aaaahhhh! You were thinking one thing and I was thinking another mostly. I was wondering why you had issues with selection and pushing a button. You don't! :)

I'm afraid "responsive" is not quite up to the mark yet. There are also bad designers. Very often older methods still work very well on today's devices. There is a lot to be said for a fluid layout that works fine at 1024px wide or acceptably at 800px, while expanding to higher resolutions quite well.