WordPress permissions

Author Comment

Given a WP site with 3 x Admins, 3 x Mods, and a special "non-mod team member" group all with access to a team discussion area - not especially relevant to the question below but just as background.

Is it possible to give one of the non-mod team members permission to edit just one of the WP "pages"? I don't wish to make this person an admin, a bit of sledge hammer to crack a nut option, and pretty "dangerous" giving a dashboard to a non-tecchy bod :eek

Admin

I am not at all familiar with moderators on WP! These are non-standard roles. The permissions system is incredibly crude though and it is not possible for a user to have more than one role, unless there is a plugin for this.

I would think what you would have to do is get the user to create another account set as Contributor or Author, which will allow them to manage their own posts.

I tend not to sweat these things too much because I run daily backups. If a user messes up, it can always be fixed. I just make people Editors and rely on version history and data backups. As I am unfamiliar with the non-standard roles you have, I have no clue what the person may lose the ability to do, if you switched them to a regular Editor. These people will see a part of the Admin dashboard but not all.

Sorry, I rushed my lead post :o

I should have said WP with SimplePress forum plugin. It's the SP forum that has the moderators and "non-mod team members" group.

What I need is to allow one on the "non-mod team members" to edit a "news" page on the home page of the site, rather than send stuff to one of the admins to include.

Admin

I understood that.

I Googled your question later and it looks like there are possible plugins that may be able to get you a result. I see a convoluted and unsupported free plugin and a paid plugin. The paid one is much nicer but one would expect that. There are bound to be more, if I found these so easily.

""news" page on the home page" <- That's two or more pages. My suspicion is you are blogging posts to the homepage and therefore there would be multiple posts, with new ones being created all the time.

To be honest, if I was running that site, I would either make him an editor on trust or post his emails. Both are much less hassle than messing around with plugins, their compatibility, their updating, etc., etc. I might consider making him the author of the page and setting him as a Publisher (can edit own posts).

Why? There is more likelihood of something going wrong adding plugins to alter the way WP works, considering the plugins you already have existing (and time) than there is making him a Publisher or Editor. As I said, anything messed up is recoverable and it doesn't break your whole site. You want zero risk? Keep taking the emails.

You know? It really is not so bad updating a site from someone else's content, unless they provide it in a poor format. When you balance it out, it is a heck of a lot less work than keeping WP all up to date and bug free.

There is another way you could look at this. You could blog SimplePress posts to the homepage, either from a dedicated private forum, by selection or something else. I'm sure you would find a plugin that did that. Your permissions would then be forum based.

One page - the news page is at present excluded, but it would be one of the pages shown in the top horizontal bar

http://www.barbelfishers.com/

Don't think it's anything to do with blogs, they are just pages written in ('ish) html

Admin

I see mostly static content. I don't see any news other than one from 2010, which appears orphaned. I really see little risk in making this guy either a Publisher or Editor.

Sorry, not getting very far here :\

News page is set to not be visible (until we get content)

How/where do you make someone an editor or publisher? I see there is a role change dropdown in "users" in the ACP, but I use WP eMember for all member stuff.

Admin

Taking time and going in circles is normal for WordPress - at least it seems that way to me!

http://en.support.wordpress.com/user-roles/

"eMember" is non-standard and I have no clue what it is. It must relate to one of your plugins or a manual configuration.

Yes it's a plugin. Very useful it is too :)