DreamHost special price: $24.99 for a year

Author Comment

The deal is through Mac Observer. The regular price is $119. The sale price is good for the next 14 days, so that would be through April 30, give or take a day.

1 Year of Award-Winning Web Hosting w/ DreamHost

Admin

That's a pretty good deal!

From reading that, it looks like Dreamhost are subsidizing the whole thing. I was thinking Mac Observer may have been substantially contributing to the cost.

DreamHost is a bargain at $119/year [and compares very favorably to the new pricing for yuku's "gold" status] ~ so that's a great deal ~ if it weren't for "new users only", I'd renew [again] today ~

I know I'm repeating myself but the best decision we ever made was moving to DreamHost ~ and we are very grateful to those who "suggested" we do so ~

Sooz

I think it's like the software bundles that several sites offer. Companies are willing to substantially reduce their price in order to get their name in front of an established audience.

Admin

I wonder if that is a good thing?

Lay aside the actual cost of supplying the service for a year. Just think what it would cost if that person raised a ticket? Think about the inexperienced users, who might just jump at such an offer. Support costs could be high and especially if these people are inexperienced.

On DreamHost, a webmaster is actually supposed to know what they are doing. It is accepted that the depth or breadth of knowledge varies but their support system is not designed to lead the n00b by the hand. There are hosts that will do this and of course they charge more.

A high number of inexperienced people signing up could well affect the service for existing members. It is not like we use the ticket system for much but when we do, it usually requires prompt action.

Not too worried about bandwidth affect.

It is also possible that these cut price deals may attract exploit(ed) sites. Think n00bs and insecure. Think about the cost to someone with malicious intent to sign up for a hosting. This increases the risk to existing members, if say a back or side door is discovered and exploited. Most webmasters will have a backup they can restore but it is a pain.

So, yeah, a good deal... but is it?

I don't know if anyone's actually going to buy hosting if they're not in the market for it. But I definitely see low pricing as being attractive to those with malicious intent, no matter how it's offered or no matter who's offering it.

If I price is my prime concern, I'd probably look at a host that was cheaper, simply because I'm going to be paying full price eventually. If I had malicious intent and my stay on a host was going to be short term, I'd probably look at something that costs less than $24.99 to begin with.

I think it's fair to guess that Mac Observer readers are generally at least a little bit technically oriented and that they're probably a good crowd to entice with a special.