phpBB: Issue with imageset.cfg

Author Comment

Our lock icon isn't appearing on announcements. The issue is that we're pointing to topic_read_locked.gif when we need to be pointing to topic_read_locked.png.

I've edited imageset.cfg and cleared the board cache, but it's still a no go. Is there something I'm missing?

These are the two lines I adjusted.

img_announce_read_locked = topic_read_locked.png*20*12

img_global_read_locked = topic_read_locked.png*20*12

By the way, I do have backups of this file in case I mess something up. :)

Admin

The images are stored in the database and not in the cache.

ACP > Styles > Imagesets > {your image set} > Refresh

That will then reload your images from imageset.cfg to the database.

Note: It is also possible to change the database referenced images by choosing Edit instead of Refresh but if you ever Refresh, they will revert back to those specified in imageset.cfg.

Thanks! I knew it had to be something simple. :) imageset.cfg just isn't that hard, and I was certain that I didn't make a mistake in there.

I looked behind Edit in the imagesets section of the ACP; that looks more complicated than working directly with imageset.cfg.

Admin

It's (more) tedious and as I said, you could lose everything you have set, if someone presses "refresh".

The easiest way to do things is just to swap images so they have the same physical size and name. Only requires a browser refresh.

A couple of months after we migrated two years ago, I decided to give one of our icons a complete change-out. It was in somewhat of a sorry state and had been on our to do list for a couple of years.

Doing that required changing the size to do a top notch job, and I guess I must have also changed those images from gif to png. Of course, phpBB adds a bit of adventure to this process as multiple icon combinations get combined into a single image, such as locked/unread and sticky/locked/unread.

I just happened to miss the announcements. I guess that in a two year span, nobody had locked one until yesterday. :) The unread icon was OK; the problem didn't pop up for me until after I read the topic to see why the moderator closed it.

I'm good about keeping backups of the file or containing folder handy in case I goof, so nothing's ever really lost. And if I make changes on a piecemeal basis, I keep good backups along the way so I don't have to start from scratch.

Admin

Put it another way: you take monthly files backups and files rarely change, so the most that can ever be lost is any changes made since the beginning of a month. That is usually no huge deal.

Yes, these images are a nightmare. You're lucky you are not using dotted topics too! LOL Change them as you need them. ;)

Yeah, I can almost always start with the monthly backup unless I'm in the midst of a bunch of modifications. I can't say I've done anything beyond a simple fix for quite awhile, though.

Unzipping the backup and searching for the right file on the Mac is much easier than searching for it via the FTP app. I can usually spot the file that needs editing right away.

If I get into a situation where I'm making numerous changes across folders, I'll probably do a manual backup of the whole board. In this case, hanging onto a copy of the modified file is plenty.

I guess I should check our other board as there's an excellent chance that this issue is also present there.

Admin

Not until you lock an announcement! LOL

I do know the feeling very well. I have been caught out a number of times with incorrect icons. A typical one is when a first subforum is added. Initially, announcements are not used and instead topics are just stickies. Thankfully, because of the performance hit, nobody has turned on dotted topics.

I guess I should look to see if anything is goofed up with subforums. The chances of our subforum having an announcement or even a sticky is next to none. But since all I have to do is check over imageset.cfg and now that I know that I have to refresh the image set, that won't be a problem.

I made pretty major modifications to the HTML to make subforums appear in their parent forums as just another topic. I don't think that'll affect the icons, though. From what I've seen, they've worked as I've expected them to.

If I miss something, our members have their eyes open, and they'll let us know if either I or one of our moderators don't notice first. :)