phpBB3 permissions

Author Comment

Just when I thought I understood it .................

I just went to edit a post (one of my own posts) on a board (that I rarely use) but that I am admin on, and I have no edit button. So I added a reply and I have an edit button for that.

The post I tried to edit was a lead post, is that significant?

I, obviously wrongly, always assumed admins had all the buttons. I do have all the buttons on two other boards, so where is the setting I want?

The more I look at phpBB3 permissions the more confused I get, and reading the phpBB3 help page on this makes it even more confusing :\

Admin

You are correct that you wrongly assumed that an administrator could do anything. Put yourself in the Global Moderator group as well. Mostly, all administrators should also be Global Moderators.

It sounds like an edit and/or delete time limit has been set for that board and that appears to be working correctly.

The fact you can edit a later post suggests forum permissions are correct (or at least in the right shape for you to do what you intended).

Most likely an oversight on the groups.

Just looked again and the edit button has gone, so you must be right about the time limit.

Ah ha, made myself a Global Moderator and now have edit buttons :)

thanks

Admin

In general: Moderators deal with posts and members. Administrators deal with the structure. Founders deal with the software.

Thank you, a good explanation :)

Admin

You're welcome. :)

Just as an added hint, if you have anyone who needs any kind of oddball permissions, create a group for that person and assign permissions to the group, even if it means having a group with only one member in it. That way, if anyone else ever needs that set of permissions, all you need to do is move him or her into the group. This tack also makes it easy to you to test those permissions with a test account by temporarily putting the test account into that group.

We have two members with oddball permissions. One has access to the admin controls necessary to edit our skins. I didn't think to create a group for him, but I'll do that at some point. The other has limited moderator capabilities in a single forum. He's in a special group for that purpose.

Thanks Casey. I do that another way but the group sounds a good idea.

It maybe me but I think that if the creators of phpBB had a brief to make the permissions as complicated as possible, and near impossible to follow, then I think they achieved it :\

Admin

It is a good idea, as it helps one keep track easier and is generally more efficient. There are always exceptions and Casey's one I would class as that. Not exactly too many people that one allows as a "sort of" Admin. However, in years to come, staff often move on and an individual odd-ball permission will most likely be overlooked.

Prime candidates for setting up groups are NoDelete and NoEdit. These are forum based permissions. Creating the group involves altering permissions for all forums and then it is only a case of adding people to group. When someone comes along and whines, it can clearly be seen what group they are in and if proper feedback is left, then the reason can also be seen. One does not want to have to alter forum permissions on an individual basis, even though it can be done. Far too tedious, obscure and inefficient!

phpBB permissions are complex and that is because there are so many options to choose from. There is also duplication and these will be removed in version 3.1, if anyone moves over to it. If you want it easier, then you will have less choice.