Author Comment

Let's Pray Image
We would like to inform you that our servers will
be updated shortly. These updates are the next big step in our ongoing
efforts to provide a stable, solid platform on which the communities can
grow and thrive. While the updates will greatly benefit everyone in the
long run, some temporary outages are to be expected within the near
future.
It goes without saying that our engineers will work hard to keep the outages to an absolute minimum.
Please stay tuned for more details and further announcements soon.

Thank you
Yuku Team

So this why this place was so wonky yesterday thanks Sally.

Noticing no difference today though, meaning if they did something can't feel it yet?

Admin

I'm afraid I have difficulty getting too excited about this.

My guess is that they are prepping things to take us off Amazon servers and put us on CrowdGather servers. After the fiasco last year, I doubt they want to be open about it. Ultimately though, stability should improve. Whether other things decline, we will find out in the fullness of time.

Tighten your safety belts!

this is just the servers, right? Not the new UI?

Admin

I would guess so but it is so vague that it is difficult to be sure.

They should have implemented the new UI before the move and they would have had 10-20% less boards and members to move!

Having said that, I went to check on the remnants of the last board purge and I see they have recently been cleaned up. That's about 4 months since I submitted a ticket about it!

Why do the bosses have to keep changing the servers when the last one's were working just fine?

Admin

Amazon servers cost an arm and a leg.
Yuku is not as stable as it could be on conventional servers.

Referring to the previous move, the servers probably belonged to KickApps.

might be a dumb question but...how do we know when we have been moved to the new server?

My best guess would be if you hover over "yuku" at the bottom of the page and see that number has changed, then you'd know you are on a new server?? 
Makes sense to me ... certainly doesn't mean it's correct though.  lol

Thanks auntiem!
...this is what it says right now
web 25
-c12@79427-      

Admin

I tried to reply to this before but lost my connection.

While that may happen, it does not have to happen. The only way to know for sure is by pinging the server.
ping membersupport.yuku.com

Pinging membersupport.yuku.com [107.20.139.224]
Then look up the IP:
107.20.139.224 resolves to: Amazon AWS.
Please be careful how you interpret results though as these IPs do shift.

Let's also not go barking up any wrong trees either.  While a move off Amazon servers *may* be on the cards, that does not mean it is happening now.  The announcements are overly vague.  It could be preparations for a move.  It could be incorporation of ad servers.  It could be a complete re-jigging of the network.  Heck, it could just mean that more imports are being done.

All I can suggest is you set up alternative lines of communication with key people and ride it out.

Thank you!

Admin

As the time windows have passed and we are still on Amazon servers, I guess that was not what this "update" was about. I never noticed anything but I have not been around a lot either.

the announcement led us to believe it was about changing server...maybe they encountered difficulties and postponed?

Little Elf wrote:the announcement led us to believe it was about changing server...maybe they encountered difficulties and postponed?

That was what I thought the announcement was about too, but I couldn't remember for sure.
Unless we misinterpreted the announcement, something must have gone wrong.

Admin

We will have scheduled server updates on Wednesday October 17, and Thursday October 18, 2012 between 8 and 10 am EDT

During the updates, you may experience pageload issues, inability to post, or a temporary interruption of service.
Our team will work hard to ensure that the interruptions will be kept to an absolute minimum.

We apologise for any inconvenience these updates may cause across our network.