Too many replies on a topic? - phpBB & Yuku

Author Comment

I have some topics at my board that the members have kept running for many years. I noticed one of them today with more than 300 replies. Back on Yuku I heard some people talking about topics with more than 100 replies slowed down the board.

Should I close the topics at a certain number of replies and start a new one for them?
Mosken

Admin

Personally, I would just split the topic at a suitable point but I wouldn't worry too much if the post count is less than about 500. I've never actually run a speed comparison test, so that is only a rule of thumb.

Some people split these large ongoing topics into either years, months or days depending on the popularity.

That was a good idea! Thank you!

Admin

You're welcome. :)

Are large topics an issue on phpBB?

We occasionally have a topic that'll jump up to several hundred posts in a few hours. There isn't much that can be done about that. We do have a couple of ongoing topics with four digit-reply numbers, though.

Of course, the downside to splitting is that it becomes harder to find the older messages when someone wants to read them.

In the past we have added the link to the older topic in the beginning of the next topic. That has worked out okay.

Admin

1992casey wrote:Are large topics an issue on phpBB?
Theoretically, no. Practically, it depends on your database server.
Sunshine56 wrote:In the past we have added the link to the older topic in the beginning of the next topic.
That is what I would do too, with the addition of a link to the later topic at the end of the previous one.

We tend to provide those links, depending on whether or not the moderator thinks to do it. :)

What database server factors would be involved?

So how much of a problem can too many replies be, we've got at least one with over 5000 replies and others with over 1000 and our board doesn't seem slow, should we break those up?

Yeah, I've not noticed any slowness either, Tobias. Would really hate to split those threads.

Admin

Firstly, I have to warn you that performing surgery on any large topic on yuku can cause problems. Always copy the topic to a private forum and then work on the copy.

This question originally related to phpBB but yes it does mention some older warnings on yuku. We need a little history here ...

Back on ezBoard, exceptionally long topics could go a bit funky and weird-out. In the early days of yuku, people were advised to limit replies to 1-200 per topic. Since then, yuku was moved to Amazon and then back to the ground again. At both these transitions, you can bet servers were upgraded. What was true back then will no longer be true.

Be guided by whether the topic performs any differently from any other topic. If it is slower, better do something about it.

Yeah, if we were to do anything, it would probably be like we did before, start a new thread on the old topic.

I've not noticed any issues with the big threads, so safe for now, I'm guessing. :)

Firstly, I have to warn you that performing surgery on any large topic on yuku can cause problems. Always copy the topic to a private forum and then work on the copy.

That's worth reiterating. Actually, it's a good hint for any platform. Even if the system works (and it's probable that it will), there's always the possibility of human error.

Having said that, I don't always follow my own advice. There've been times I've paid for that and have had to go to a bunch of extra work to pick up the pieces.

Wow! I have Yuku threads with thousands of replies, some well over 10,000, one at almost 13,000. I'd hate to have to split those threads, but may someday have to.

I guess I would probably just start a new thread. I would not want to chance losing all those posts.

Admin

No, it is risky and you have no backup to revert to. The safest thing to do is attempt to copy the topic. If the copy is successful, there is a fair chance that splitting the copy will be too. Always work on a copy. If it works, you can replace the original.

A slight aside, back on ezBoard, the max was 20 pages. If you had more than 400 topics in a forum, they "fell over the edge". The story was they they were still there somewhere but they were never ever seen again. A moderator or admin had to be quick to archive the older topics or they would be lost.

When topics got too long they began to act strangely. Some topics were fine and others not. Nobody ever seemed to know the reason. It was just a habit to lock them at a certain point and start a new one.

If I were in your position, I would be concerned for those topics. They are not going to get better but they can sure get worse. I would attempt to copy them at least, at a quieter time of day. Just store them in a private forum or whatever. At least you will have that as a backup if your main topic gets problematic. However, me being me, I would attempt surgery on the copies. I'd try to split to year long segments and just append the year to the subject line.

Actually, me being me, I don't let topics get longer than 20-30 pages.

It has never crossed my mind to limit the number of pages in a topic. I always thought the lengthy numbers of pages were really cool. So much history there and I'm all about history.

Thanks for the advice, Andrew. I must give this some thought.