Help with ProBoards?

Author Comment

1. When I look with the Chrome browser, my shoutbox splits words in half instead of dropping the entire word to the next line. I have a word wrap code installed, but it still does it.

2.The navigation bar and the "Participated" button, are set to the exact same height, but yet the button looks bigger?

Any ideas?

http://thereflectingpool.boards.net/

Admin

Chrome is only doing what it is told. It's just implementing the property differently from other browsers. If you want it to stop doing that, remove the word-wrap:break-word. Your shoutbox is so wide, it is highly unlikely there will be a word long enough to cause an issue. A link might but you could just apply the word-wrap to links only or alternatively, restrict their width.

As an aside, your board looks terrible to me at a resolution of 1024px. The shoutbox and board are close to the same width and half your banner disappears. This makes it a little difficult to troubleshoot.

I *think* the navigation bar you refer to is the #navigation-menu is sitting immediately below your banner. Unfortunately, with the narrow width and large font, this is wrapping onto two lines. I cannot find a "Participated" button, even with a search. Perhaps it is a member only function?

Personally, I would not even begin to look at this until the layout is fixed for everyone and does not break. Only then can things like inner widths and heights be looked at. If you don't, you will just end up chasing yourself.

Thanks Andrew,
Am I adjust things with my screen resolution to big? I mean, It looks perfect on my screen...(resolution at 1440x900).
Would it help if I changed all size designations to percentages instead of pixels? Back to work for me!

Admin

It's looking much better now, except you need to set:
.sidebarr-left-td { width: 0px; }

Thank you Andrew!

Did I put it in the right place? in the body section?

Admin

It's being overridden by another stylesheet. You can either change it to:
td.sidebarr-left-td{width:0px;}
or
.sidebarr-left-td{width:0px!important;}

Has that resolved your height issues too?

Yes, it resolved it I think, I mean, at least for me it did. on the code above, did you mean to put two "r" on the end of sidebar? I have tried it both ways. The sidebar here is a plugin which may be where the override is coming from. As usual I am learning as I go!

Admin

Yes I did and the CSS is not working because you attempted to correct it.

To explain, there is a left sidebar taking up 20px of screen width unnecessarily and it makes things look offset to the right.

Plugins are the way to go and I am not going to disagree that a table layout is the best way of achieving that (especially on the right).

I did not correct it the first time around. I thought maybe that was why it was not working so I changed it. I will go back and put it back with two Rs! Thanks for being patient with my CSS ignorance!!

Edit: OK, I removed the left sidebar, Truthfully, I completely forgot about it! The sidebars have their own style sheet, and I forgot! I was trying to correct it through the main CSS! What a brain fart! They are, unfortunately common for me!! LOL!

Admin

That's looking much better now! :)

Beautiful board Arenaria! :)