IcyBoards - What do you think of it?

Author Comment

Admin

This was an interesting find I made a few days ago. It looks ideal for role-players and fan fiction writers, especially on a budget.

It is a heavily customized version of MyBB.

I'll hit a few relevant features and we can discuss the others later.

This is hosted free, with unlimited bandwidth and a 99.9% up time. It is supported by advertising.

Advertising can be removed, allowing you to place your own adverts on the board and/or post content of an adult nature. (This is an interesting quirk.)

They will import and host any size of board free at no cost. The import list consists of: IPB, MyBB, phpBB, SMF, PunBB, vBulletin. Not only are imports possible but so are merges. This could suit message boards wanting to combine content and management.

Modifying templates is also allowed and there is a whole host of them to choose from, as well as modifications, which can be added. This seems to be a semi-manual process, performed by staff but once you get what you need added, you have quite a lot of scope.

Support looks very good and no nonsense.

http://icyboards.com/

Location: Orange County, Calif. (near Disneyland and Los Angeles)

Do you think this might be good for me?

Admin

It very well may.

I don't know a lot other than having a quick run through their site. I do plan on setting up a myBB test board very soon, so perhaps you could come and join me there for a look around.

Andrew wrote:It looks ideal for (...) fan fiction writers, especially on a budget.

|I *Wakes up*. Mmmm...?

(...) and/or post content of an adult nature. (This is an interesting quirk.)

Oh? Hmmm! That's getting increasingly rare these days. Interesting :D

Michael

Admin

Advert Removal
In your AdminCP, on the home screen, you will now see a section called "Advertisement Removal". Here you can use PayPal to remove ads from your forum. Our current rate is $0.22 per 1000 impressions with a "convenience" fee of $0.50 to cover the stupid PayPal fees we incur. In this area, you can also define which usergroups do not see the ads. This will allow you to have "premium" groups on your forums, where regular members will see ads but premium members will not.

With the Ad Removal come two special perks. In order to utilize these perks, you must enable ad removal for all user groups. You must also ensure your credit balance stays positive. If it falls to 0, you risk your forum being closed unless you remove all content relating to the following perks.
1) You may place your own advertisements on your forum
2) Mature/Adult content of any kind will be allowed.

Exports
I can do a manual export and send it to you for $20 through PayPal.

They can also convert your existing forum for FREE:
http://forums.icyboards.net/showthread.php?tid=3295

Admin

Hey spork, nice to see you!

Yeah, I got that right up front! :D

I think you might be very suitable for some of the passers-by here.

I saw a bunch of clicks in my referral stats. I watch them very closely ;)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Admin

(Figured that. ;) )

Yeah, I have a couple.

1. Theme image uploads - acceptable structure.

I gather this structure is not allowed:
images+
      |
      +themes+
             |
             +theme1_name+
             |           |
             |           +english
             |           +toplinks
             |
             +theme2_name+
             +theme3_name+
             +theme4_name+
             +theme5_name+

I'd like to check that this structure is OK:
images+
      +theme1_name+
      |           |
      |           +english
      |           +toplinks
      |
      +theme2_name+
      +theme3_name+
      +theme4_name+
      +theme5_name+

2. Would you do a straight import from a MyBB 1.6.9 database (rather than merge)?

3. To ensure as fresh data as possible, what is the best way to arrange an import?

4. Do you allow the choice of HTML posting at IcyBoards?

OK, that became 4 and I am sure there are more. These are just things that came up recently that I was not able to find an answer for.

1) Remove the "theme1_name" level. You create the theme name level directory when you upload it. Your zip should just be images/english.

2) The tool is called a "merge", but if you merge with a brand new empty forum, it's essentially just an import :)

3) I would request it after 5pm eastern time. I am at work during the day.

4) Yes, there is a plugin you can enable to HTML in your posts

Admin

Oh! So we upload /images/english and upon upload that becomes /images/theme1_name/english ? (ignoring the images for simplicity)

I could have someone for you. It would also appear that other members have already visited you at least. I'll likely find more.

I appreciate the tool is called merge and would essentially be just an import but there were two reasons I asked. The first reason is that the merge tool is tedious and takes time (like ImpEx). Also like ImpEx, it completely renumbers forums, topics and posts. This means internal links break. With no database access on IcyBoards, these will not be easy to fix. If I could have fixed them in advance, then they would work on IcyBoards and no more hassle. In other words, if you won't do a straight import of categories, forums, threads, posts and members, then why should I bother fixing links now? I won't.

Got you on the time. How much of a heads-up would you require? Drop you an email? PM? For example, should I just email you and say, "I have an import for you in around 2 days." You reply: "Go away, I am too busy. Make it 5 days". I arrange the data for 5-6PM EST and email you the detail.

If you're concerned about tid/uid/pid/fid changing, I could try doing a straight-up import of those tables. I haven't tried that before but there isn't any reason it wouldn't work, assuming your database is already in a MyBB 1.6.9 format.

5 Days? I generally have it done in 2 hours, even if I'm at work. Now, if you request it when the eastern timezone is sleeping... It may be a while. :P
http://forums.icyboards.net/showthread.php?tid=4922

Admin

Yep, brand new install only a week ago. If your schema is the same, I reckon it should be fine and one heck of a lot quicker.

So, we set up with a board, set up an account at your support forum. Request it at your support forum. PM you the detail. You do the merge/import and we rebuild the counters and fix the themes.

Now I know what to do. I will prep the themes and fix the links. Just got to wait for the heads-up from the Owner.

Yes :)

Admin

Seeing as you are so conscientious (I like your style BTW), another quick question...

Does IcyBoards allow SE Friendly URLs? (I'd hardly call them that. Maybe SE less unfriendly. :P )

I think we are likely to be a couple of days away yet. Still no feedback.

Unfortunately, we do not support SEO-style URLs. It requires changing the htaccess file which is shared between all forums. Each forum does NOT have a unique set of files, the are all served from one MyBB installation.

Admin

Cool. I thought that might be the case. No sense in changing links to the less unfriendly version then.

Just to be clear (because I have 6 custom styles to adjust), the style's images are stored at boardname.icyboards.com/images/stylename ?

No. If you have a zip of images (let's assume you have logo.png in there) and you name the folder "theme1" when uploading, your URL will be http://img.icyboards.com/<forumname>/theme1/logo.png

We serve our images off a separate server to ensure they are delivered as fast as possible :)