Vbulletin is now offering hosting options...

Author Comment

Admin

That looks like quite a good deal but I am struggling to find the finer detail. For example, is the license included within the price? What sort of access to the data is there? Is there access to ImpEx? How is scalability handled? Do they run off-site backups?

I think they will do well, regardless of the unanswered questions. Why is everything not upfront and obvious though?

With the questions answered, it may work out better for some to use that solution, even if it does mean forum conversion.

Here's a thread I quickly found answering some questions.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vb ... -questions

Admin

Certainly the guy did well with the questions.

I guess this is not going to suit a lot of people. It is far too limited and the suspicion is support will be weak. People signing-up to that will essentially just be Guinea pigs bug testing the latest releases.

Hosting on AWS is scary. There was no mention of off-site backups and AWS keep the backups on the same hardware. Need I go further? True, it looks like they are trying to work a way to make ImpEx work and that is of some consolation but people do get complacent and neglect to run backups manually.

On the scalability, it looks like you can go up and yet not down. This is unclear though. There is nothing which states what happens if over 25GB per month is required. It is not targeted for this sort of use, so presumably that means if you do need to go over, you have to move. Not too handy if you get bursts of activity.