CrowdGather to Offer Ad-Free Experience for Free

Author Comment

Admin

It was announced a couple of days ago that CrowdGather has built a tool called CrowdReport.

CrowdReport flags potentially inappropriate content for review, and will eventually incorporate the ability to automatically prevent the rendering of display advertisements on pages with questionable or offensive user generated content.
Source.

The way I read that, all one has to do is simply post something "questionable or offensive" and adverts will not be shown.

BUT

I somehow think this will result in content being removed as non-monetizable.

During the 2013 calendar year, we intend to continue to prune our network of non-monetizable pages. We do not expect that the pruning of those non-monetizable pages and any resulting reduction in total monthly page views will adversely impact revenues.
CROWDGATHER, INC. FORM 10-Q

I'm afraid I foresee a lot of content being removed from view and forum closures. If CrowdGather are being nice about this, perhaps they may allow the content to remain if the forum pays for an ad-free experience. This may not be worth their while though and they may only want the cream of the crop, so they can make money.

Of course money needs to be made though. The service has been making huge losses for quite some time now. I wonder when they will find out that many of their larger content servers are quite full of "questionable or offensive user generated content"? Will this be implemented in a nice way or will they be ruthless?

They should add a new clause to their TOU along the lines of : "Post content we can make money from or risk it being removed.".

Arguably better than pop-unders, I will give them that!

Innuendo and double entendre message boards should be able to do rather well, unless the blanket "we can do what we want" clauses are invoked.

The stock market has not really reacted to the news with shares sitting between the six and eight cent mark. The peaks look very manipulated by very low volume transactions.

I really don't like CG, they love their money too much so much they refuse to listen to people on suggestions and they're ad free method of madness is really expensive. Yuku was so much cheaper before they came flocking in.

Admin

I disagree. :)

Unfortunately, funds need to be found from somewhere, in order for any operation to continue. The bottom has dropped out of the advertising marketplace for many reasons, and that revenue has been dropping year on year. Crowdgather has kept yuku running - with a few improvements - in spite of losing money.

The original business model (making a forum based advertising platform) was out of date when it was first conceived and it was foolish to persist basically flogging a dieing horse. Diversification should have taken place much earlier. Plaor was taken on but it had ridiculously HUGE overheads, which could not be reduced, and consequently, it was let go again. I'm not at all sure if diversifying into the cannabis market will turn things around but they have to try something and they are.

In spite of that, everything does become more expensive over time.

Companies like Ning changed their business model and made people pay by the feature. Sure they lost a number of people but they also lost a lot of dross. Ning has become a platform of quality. I wouldn't think yuku could afford to do this now at this late stage in the game but they may be able to make some features paid options.

Yes, I do agree that at some times CRWG has refused to listen (and also attempted to dictate) but this may have changed somewhat - I really cannot be certain. However, with negative income, it is not always possible to do things, even if they are for the best. Overall though, one cannot say that there have been no improvements. Also, over the years pricing has not really increased and in fact, if one takes inflation into consideration, pricing is actually cheaper than it used to be.

BTW, this was intended to be somewhat of a humorous topic taking things literally and stretching them a bit. :P

Companies like Ning changed their business model and made people pay by the feature. Sure they lost a number of people but they also lost a lot of dross. Ning has become a platform of quality. I wouldn't think yuku could afford to do this now at this late stage in the game but they may be able to make some features paid options.

I can think of a few useless features they do have that some find useful for some odd reason that they can charge for. ;D
With all the downtime it's just not worth the price especially when ones wallet isn't as full as it used to be.

BTW, this was intended to be somewhat of a humorous topic taking things literally and stretching them a bit. :P

Oh I caught that right away and you pretty much have to be. :)

Admin

Downtime? I admit that I haven't had my finger on the pulse, so to speak, for quite some time. I wasn't aware there was significant downtime. Cost would be adding insult to injury in that case because downtime is unacceptable for any social platform, regardless if people part with money for it or not. I guess more people have moved away because of this?

They're having their annual downtime right now as I speak, they've been down since yesterday morning.

Here's a screen shot: Image

Admin

Ha! Yes, I noticed it was down and had been for a couple of hours when I looked. It wasn't that message though. It was this:

Yuku took a tumble, let us get our bearings. We will be back Momentarily
To be honest, I don't think there are that many decent boards left there. Most of the decent ones have moved away. Some have contingencies in place. Must be kind of difficult to monetize what is left unless they are paying for "Gold".

I remember when ezBoard staff number moved (and rather quickly) into double-figures. I'm thinking we are probably seeing the opposite now and staff numbers moving into single figures. Rabbits out of hats required?

Anyhow, yuku goes down => more people leave. It's inevitable. Most people want a stable and reliable environment.

So, hardware issue, which also resulted in database corruption. Network will probably be brought back on line quick and dirty rather than performing disk checking first. Should be interesting. :)

SO very true, all the good boards have left yuku even I tried to be patient with them and just got fed up, the few that are there still prove to be more patient then me. lol

I've started my own board over at Proboards and find it much better over there, they too are doing their upgrades as well but, they're doing theirs a bit at a time so that it doesn't disrupt peoples boards. I like that idea, they are making gradual changes. ;)

8o I have been spying on yuku's progress of nothingness as in upgrades and major fixes that apparently this crash lasted a few days for some and saw one not so happy camper about it, I'm assuming he's a gold member so I can't much blame him and they shouldn't either.

I miss yuku from the way it was, not the way it is now, it's too bad too. :\

Admin

andrew wrote:Should be interesting. :)

Not often I quote myself. :lol Another issue drew me to the "support" board and it would appear that it was indeed interesting, unfortunately for some. It would also appear there was another incident.

If memory serves me correctly, CG leased new Dell servers around 3 years ago. A (good?) decision has been made to scrap some of these and roll-out new servers. I say good because 3 years is about the break point for hardware issues, e.g. Hard Disk Drives and RAID controllers to fail. It is also good that data is moved to more reliable servers if nothing other than the cost of manpower to try and maintain data integrity.

Putting things into perspective... Prior to yuku being moved to AWS some 5-6 years ago, yuku was running on an assortment of 32-bit and 64-bit servers, some of which were inherited from ezboard, which would date them around 2001. Remember, these were not retired but in fullly functioning order before the move to AWS. An old server is not necessarily a bad server and a new server is not necessarily a good one.

I'd be surprised if these hardware failures were anticipated and budgeted for and this will likely affect CG cashflow.

It bewilders me though... For example, subscriptions were "dumped" and yet these should have been able to be recovered from a daily backup. Are backups still being run? Perhaps they are selective about what is backed up? Staff to lazy to do this? I have no clue!

I doubt any of them are doing anything, there seems to be a missing employee, now there's only one so that pretty much leaves one picking ones slack while others jump in and try and help others.

Gong show really, whatever they are dong and are not doing it's a good way to deter their members away and go else where.

They recently went through a server change over and by the looks of things it was driving people crazy and still kinda is. lol

I don't think they know what they're doing over there to be honest, not saying I would do a better, I wouldn't I would most likely made things so much worse or worse yet, blow it up. lol

Point is though, like photobucket, you have paying customers and as long as you have paying customers and you run your board like crap you better be ready to take the heat.

I realized something over at Probaords that, they don't have the help ticket system like yuku does now and I remember people wanting that part to go back to the way it was, perhaps they should then maybe they'd actually have better use for their PM's. ;)

Anyways, yuku has been better and literally seen better days but, as of late as they try to make a difference in the place, it's not going to bring back what they lost, if they do they have a LOT of work ahead of them.

Admin

To be fair, the servers were not fully burnt-in and tested prior to pressing them into use. A decision had to be made and it was probably the right one.