Tapatalk and Yuku?

Author Comment

I got an email (2012) from Yuku saying my inactive boards would be closed, they weren't

I got an email yesterday, one for each board, saying as they (CG) were down to one engineer "the migration" would take a little time longer

I got an email this morning, one for each board, saying my forum was now on Tapatalk

Not sure whether to log in using their supplied creds and have a look, or just ignore.

Admin

Well, you can safely ignore...

Yuku moved to a different data center. The move has not been without issues.

I object strongly to yuku supplying my personal information (email address) to TapaTalk. Over the years I have had dealings with TapaTalk and my experiences have led me simply to not trust them. Without elaboration, I do not want TapaTalk holding my personal information and I gave no express permission to yuku for them to share it with TapaTalk.

I have submitted 2 tickets to TapaTalk requesting removal of both my personal information and the account created in my name. The first ticket went unresponded until I sent the second. The response I got was:
DEC 02, 2016 | 04:55PM UTC
Chris replied:

Hi-
Yeah, that was it!

My account is still active. My second ticket is still unresponded. It will soon be time for me to step things up a bit.

Fire me an email and I will elaborate a little.

i received that email also. i have no idea wth they are talking about.

Same here Sal.
Yuku has been down for days.

It seems if you type any yuku group into tapatalk you can see all what's going on in our yuku groups even though some of our group are private. :(

I have been out of the loop for a bit.... the girls kept our board running...
Now my whole private board is tapatalk... that site was PRIVITE !!! no it is not ...
Also The Canine support group that is now a read only site looks awful now that its also tapatalk.

I saw this posted from Google....it was how to Disable tapatalk...
Does this work? and how do I even find my HTML now?

"Hi,
My coding and skins are customized which makes it a little different than most but I did manage to disable Tapatalk on mine in the edit HTML section. I scrolled down to Advanced CSS where I find:
.topics { display: none; }.invite { display: none; }#directory_default
body { background-attachment: fixed; }
I removed #directory_default for now until I know more about Tapatalk and the apps.
I'm assuming where ever you see #directory_default just remove it. That should do the trick.
Also for your interest (concerning any cost you might be wondering about):
This is the email I received from taptalk (i.e. Yuku)

Tapatalk has been a nightmare.
i mostly gave up all of mine and other boards.
as for now until it gets worse i still go to the health board.
i have no idea what this tapatalk does or doesnt do. i have it on my mobile and as far as i an see it isnt any better than
here on my desktop.

just saying":LK"

__(% :rollin

I couldn't agree more.. it SUCKS !!!!!!
Also all the photos we had on our board are now gone.

Admin

#directory_default was the ID associated with the index (or directory) page of the 2005 yuku templates. It has absolutely nothing to do with TapaTalk.

From what I have seen, permissions have been preserved and if something was private before, it still is now.

At the end of the day, I suggest you try and look at this as something positive. Yuku as it was would never sustain. This migration ensures your forums live a bit longer. Without such a change, yuku would have to close down.

Yes, there are losses. Many of the primary concepts of both ezBoard and Yuku are gone. You still have your boards, forums, topics, posts and members. It is also still free to use.

It's a new beginning and one that most people did not want or choose. Try to make the best of it!

ok. if you say so :)

one thing i noticed today is that when i went to two different boards at different times a minute apart , i had to sign in on both.
once I'm signed in why wouldn't i still be signed in with in a minute of viewing a board?

OOkkkkk, if you say so... ill try..., if you think its not that bad then ill give it a go...your right i miss the easy yuku we had i also HATE change !!!!!
How do I get this on my board?

Subject:
PhotoBucket
Message body:
Enter your message here, it may contain no more than 50000 characters.

Smilies
0] :evil :eek :o :rolleyes :( :cool :D :| :lol >: 8o :\ :hat :rollin :x :) :smokin |I ;) ;D :P

Admin

I'd guess that one has to log-in for each board separately. This is the nature of phpBB.

That's the full reply editor for this board. I don't know what it looks like for the TapaTalk version. You should find an add reply or new topic button, somewhat unintuitively on the left, instead of on the right as you are used to.

The biggest issue I see is that people are going to want to customize their boards, there is no access to the HTML, and also no WYSIWYG CSS editor like people are used to. Sure it can be customized but you need some basic knowledge of CSS in order to do so.

I do think it is bad that people's skins were not preserved. Having the XML files from these would make customizing the TapaTalk forum much easier for whoever was doing the job. Were Owners and Admins advised to save these?

This is my board. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/grapevine50s/
I'm not happy.
Yuku and PB have let us down big time.
Just my opinion.

Admin

That link redirects to your yuku url and I am impressed at the amount of detail that has gone into converting that skin. I only hope the Skin Salon approves of it.

I'm sorry but you were provided with a free service by both PhotoBucket and Yuku. Primarily due to ad-blockers, these free services became uneconomic to continue providing. Everyone had it good with PhotoBucket for a LONG time. It's now come to the time where people are being asked to either pay or go elsewhere. Move elsewhere and the same will happen in time. It will be back to running from host to host like it was 20 years ago.

Really, if one is not paying for something, they don't have a lot of say in the matter.

Before anyone tries to say they paid for yuku, they did not. They only paid for ad removal. The cost for this had not been increased for years. The cost of providing the service only increased, no matter how much efficiency was improved, it just wasn't enough.

Personally, if I had a forum on yuku, I would never have let it migrate to TapaTalk. My reasoning for this is that I do not like TapaTalk. Not the forum, the company.

There are people that have moved to different platforms. That was their choice, just the same as it is a choice to remain. There is much to be said for remaining, so maybe best to deal with the changes in a more positive way?

At the end of the day, any host could look at any board on an individual basis and determine if it is worth them having on their platform. Forums that cost more than they gain could be culled.

You're boards were preserved and given a new lease of life, rather than just removed from the face of the Internet. I dare say people are unhappy and may feel let down but they should also be grateful.

The skin was made for me Andrew so I hope it's all ok.

All the hard work as far as i can see Andrew, is gone. maybe the skins are somewhere to be found but if the owner doesnt care then i guess
its zippo for that board;
http://bearsstorageshed.yuku.com/index. ... cb7e41050f

a few of the used to be yuku admins. have set up other boards on other sites. i think that goes to show you how many feel about tapatalk.

Personally, if I had a forum on yuku, I would never have let it migrate to TapaTalk. My reasoning for this is that I do not like TapaTalk. Not the forum, the company.

There are people that have moved to different platforms.

Our board was just forcibly migrated on the weekend to Tapatalk. You said, "I would never have let it migrate to TapaTalk". I wasn't aware that we had a choice in the matter. It was forced upon us. I asked for a delay but was migrated, yet 2 other boards that I know of, did NOT ask for a delay and are still on yuku.

Is there a way to have our board migrated to something other than tapatalk?

If so, do you have a recommendation? Looking for a platform where a bank of emotes can be created and where different skins can be applied to different forums. Willing to pay a bit if there's nothing free out there that's remotely similar to yuku.

I tried adding one of the skin CSS that I saved from our Yuku board but it doesn't work on tapatalk.

A bank of emotes cannot be added to a tapatalk board. I've never seen a message board before where the admin couldn't add a bank of emotes for users to use by simply clicking on them or typing the emote code.

The biggest issue I see is that people are going to want to customize their boards, there is no access to the HTML, and also no WYSIWYG CSS editor like people are used to. Sure it can be customized but you need some basic knowledge of CSS in order to do so.

Yes!!!

I actually used to go right into the CSS to make colour changes and simple height/width changes but I don't know how to modify my CSS from Yuku to work on tapatalk. This only being able to use one skin for the entire board and the inability to add emotes... ready to move to Invision or something else cuz tapatalk SUCKS.

Can our forums be migrated again or no? If not, we'd just keep our current board as an archive I guess. Le sigh.

Admin

Hi canfly172)

What I meant was that I would ask for my boards to be purged from the system prior to any migration. Essentially, I do not want TapaTalk holding my personal information because I do not trust them.

It kinda feels like you are being walked over. Not a nice feeling. I'm a believer in karma though and I have been patiently waiting for a while. :)

I'm not sure if maybe you've overlooked something or if customization are as difficult as you think. The software is basically phpBB (just like this board). Emoticons and Posticons can be added. It requires the ability to upload these though. I really am not sure what TapaTalk forums offer.

If I were to have a look at a TapaTalk group, it may be possible to apply different skins (or templates) to different forums. Skins do not exist on phpBB but styles do. It's possible to apply different styles to different forums on phpBB. Again, I really am not sure what TapaTalk forums offer.

With a bit of time, I could rewrite your yuku CSS to a TapaTalk groups CSS. It's been a while but I worked with yuku daily and know it better than the back of my own hand. Looks should not be a major issue.

I would think the easiest solution for you would be to make to TapaTalk groups board do what you want, if this is possible. There are alternatives. Nothing matches the former yuku though. It began life as close to vBulletin 3.x, which is a little like MyBB. Yuku's purpose was to replace the existing ezBoard and really it was a merger of two different concepts. vB and MyBB are tedious, yet powerful.

I'm sure with a little discussion things can be improved for you somehow.

I had my skin from Yuku remade to fit my Tapatalk group before I migrated, what many group leaders and members never done was get themselves organized for the migration, by saving Urls from all there groups to there computers, saving there images from Yuku Images, they will come back eventually so they say, also I deleted all the bits and bots I had on my skin like time clocks, admins online etc. otherwise some of those things migrate partially onto the group then it is a search to find where they are to delete them....my group ended up migrating without problems, just had to delete all the light grey posts (old deleted posts) and it was set to go.

The group that did my skin and has helped many many groups out are https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ching/ they're 2 Aussie ladies, there so helpful and jolly good at what they do.