Our Weather

Author Comment

Location: Orange County, Calif. (near Disneyland and Los Angeles)

Okay, I have this as a topic on every other board I participate on, so I might as well have it here too!

Share with us your local weather.

I live in Southern California near Los Angeles. Except for high up in the local mountains, the weather rarely gets cold here. And it never snows. It's hailed twice in the 15 years that I've lived in my condo.

Look what the temperature was this morning at 6:00 am. Just 2 degrees above freezing!

When I went outside at 6:30 am to walk the dogs, I was shocked by this sight:

Yes, that's frost on my roof! FROST! Except for up in the mountains, I'd never before seen frost on any building in Southern California -- ever!

Wow!
6.30 you walk your dogs Sci?
I wouldn't be able to wake my dog up that early, she goes to bed too late. :lol

Admin

Weather? How's this?

It is dark between 4PM and 8AM. The berries say it will be a hard winter. The birds say it is cold. Rodents are well out of sight underground and their predators are going hungry. I'm hibernating!

It sure looks cold in CA right now. Frost on the roofs show how well insulated they are.

Frost on the roofs show how well insulated they are.

Really? I didn't know that. They're relatively brand new roofs. The old roofs were replaced with these just about 5 years ago or so.

Admin

Sure! If the heat rises from the house, they would not get frosty. They can only get frosty if they can get cold enough. I'd expect to see frost just about everywhere else first before a roof, unless that roof is very well insulated.

I would presume your insulation is more intended to keep the heat out though! LOL

So, what you are demonstrating there is the ground temperature still high (because that was not frosty) and the roofs were able to get cold enough for the dampness to condense and freeze. This is quite unusual.

I know the week before last was very cold in the southern states. I guess it traveled in your direction. Where to next? Hawaii? On the positive front, it did warm up but instead it rained!

Interesting.

I guess that would have made a good "How come" question: How come my roof had frost on it? :lol

Admin

Yes it is!

It just goes to show how warm it has been there in the previous few weeks. Normally, the ground temperature will slowly drop after Summer and eventually, this will become cold enough in a cold spell for frost or ice to form. Your ground must still have stored heat.

I'm thinking that is fairly normal for your location and totally weird for here! LOL What is abnormal is it actually got colder there than is normal.

Another point I note is the daylight. Now just after 7:30 AM here and pitch black! Your photo is an hour earlier. It's looking like you may get 4 hours more daylight than we do. If it is daylight, there is a chance of sun. If it is sun, there is a chance of warmth.

I'd hate to live on one of the Poles from that aspect but in other weird ways, I would like to! :lol

You should have been a meteorologist! lol

Okay, I wasn't really sure exactly when the sun is rising, so I paid attention this morning. It was pitch black at 6 am. Around 6:15 am it starting first getting light. It's 6:30 am right now, and the sun still hasn't fully risen, but it's light outside -- similar to the pic I posted the other day.

It's December 10, so the shortest day of the year is next week.

December morning sunrise in Orange County, California
December 10, 2013 at 6:40 am

Admin

That would be around 7:45AM here. I too made a point to check this morning. :D

Looks more like you have 2 hours more light than here.

Saturday, December 21 is the shortest day here.

Bright day today but quite cold. My eyes were hurting from the light today, which did not help. I'd probably have spent more time outdoors if it had not been for that.

Lol. You're so funny! Here, there, everywhere. December 21 is the shortest day of the year for everyone in the Northern Hemisphere!

Admin

See? I misread your earlier line about the 10th.

I thought the day varied a little from place to place? I could be wrong though.

The weather here is dark!

Very cold here this morning, 0 to be exact but, I prefer it this way!
Cloudy with lots of ice on the ground and lil bit of snow!

Admin

You can keep your cold, ice and snow. I'm off looking for warmer climate! :lol

Today, it was actually darker at 8AM than it was at 7:45 AM yesterday. More cloud and fog.

lol You're as bad as my mom, I get there and I start cooking by the time I'm done there I feel I lost a few pounds.

Admin

Frozen fingers for dinner? :lol

(excuse my warped humour)

andrew wrote:Frozen fingers for dinner? :lol

(excuse my warped humour)

I don't get it so the blonde steaks are showing! lol

Admin

Losing weight by cooking?

Oh, never mind, where is that hair dye? :lol

andrew wrote:Losing weight by cooking?

Oh, never mind, where is that hair dye? :lol

Oh no I get it now! lol
Yes, but 90% of my diet contains a lot of raw veggies and fruit, sit ups, walks, bike rides, and stretching.

I'm still trying to grow out the blonde dye in my hair! lol