My Community

Author Comment

I see under our Avatars here we have a My Community and it is automatically linked to our groups ... which is soooooo cool ... is there anyway I could add that for my members in my group?

Ty in advance

Linda
xxx

Admin

It's just a Custom Title manually added, Linda. Here, it is very helpful because people often forget to leave links, which are necessary. I have kept them all universal and each open a new tab. If I haven't done it as a matter of course, people are welcome to ask. Just the same as if people do not wish it, I won't add it. I also included in the title text whether the board is MBA or not. Many people won't bother to click, if it is.

Maybe you could split the task between admins, to ease the load?

What a neat idea..

andrew wrote: I also included in the title text whether the board is MBA or not. Many people won't bother to click, if it is.
Where's this Andrew? Of the two on this topic so far, one doesn't allow anonymous viewing and the other is MBA - I had to click to find both things.

I think when you hover your pointer over the words "My Community", it should show in the text that comes up before you click. 

and saw thechatcave - but I did not go there just yet.  No biggee but as a nosey person I wanted to see what others may see when I click a reply.  Overcast day at my place.  
edit - yes my community is also under the hovering mouse, I shudda known cause two of my mentors are bwayne and
Andrew 

Admin

paul4barbus wrote:
andrew wrote: I also included in the title text whether the board is MBA or not. Many people won't bother to click, if it is.
Where's this Andrew? Of the two on this topic so far, one doesn't allow anonymous viewing and the other is MBA - I had to click to find both things.
bwayne has explained the title text but I did not make note of the non-anons in there, only MBA.  If you notice a link that is wrong, please let me know and I will change it.  These things will likely change anyway.  Perhaps I shouldn't have included it at all.

I'm posting this here since the issue is raised here ~ Andrew, please feel free to move it if there's a better location ~

I understand the pros and cons of 'MBA' groups and boards ~ but I guess I don't understand the point of not allowing 'anonymous' viewing ~ our group is open to read, but you must join to post ~ that is/was a conscious decision on our part ~ another conscious decision is to allow anonymous viewing ~ 

I myself am usually in 'don't show my online status' mode ~ I switched to that some time ago to counter a former group member who was acting like a wannabe stalker ~ but 'don't show my online status' comes up as 'anonymous' when I access a 'no anonymous' group ~ since we don't know who the 'guests' are, I just don't see what, if any, the benefits are of not allowing 'anonymous' viewing ~

Sooz

It was a nice thought Andrew, but I really don't see why anyone would even want their status to be anon on boards......To me, that is the same as lurking, but I have mine set so anyone can read anonymous if they wish.

Edited by BW to say:.........the above post explains why.......thanks Sooz08.....never thought about people stalking others as we have not encountered any in our group....knock on wood......

Admin

The truth is that most anons are usually board Owners or admins trying to go about their normal duties and reduce the harassment that can come from showing as online. I simply do not understand why people would wish to block the 'goodies' from accessing their boards. Because people do not wish to change mode, many 'goodies' are lost. It seems counter-productive to me. To add to the craziness, these boards are often viewable to someone who is not logged-in.

Exactly, Andrew! ~ if you don't want people to be able to judge whether or not the group is a good fit for themselves without joining, then you may as well go MBA ~

Sooz

Admin

LOL MBA is another closed door I just walk away from. To make it worse, hardly anyone says what the group is about. Me? I'll find another group elsewhere, that I can look at and make my mind up about whether I wish to join or not.

The only way I can see having an MBA forum is if the content was not desirable for family oriented viewing......or a group that just wanted a few members who have a lot in common and are quite happy discussing between themselves.  As a rule, I don't join them either as I am the type of person who talks to strangers in check out lines, and having to apply for membership is a turn off....I do maintain an MBA board for a group of close friends from this area who really only use the group for personal chats, and they don't really want any new members.  That is why I opened the Cave.  I like interchange between a lot of people.  Had I not opened the Cave, I would never have met all the people from so many different areas of the world......and I might be able to get some work done around the house......LOL

I understand having a few MBA forums within a board so members can have private areas within the group to discuss personal issues that they don't want to share with the rest of the Yukuverse.  I understand why some of the PSP/design groups restrict access to their tag and skins shares forums to active members instead of just leaving them open for anyone to wander in and snag stuff.  And finally, I understand the reasons some groups prefer to be completely private as Bwayne has expressed.

I'm like Andrew, though, if an application comes up for a board, I just pass right on by.  I want to at least be able to read the rules of the group and see how the members interact with each other in a general, day-to-day fashion and see what the group is about so I can decide if I'm the right fit for the group and they're the right fit for me.

Andrew - how do you know which community a person belongs too? Just manually figure it out?

Admin

dawgstudent wrote:Andrew - how do you know which community a person belongs too? Just manually figure it out?
Image  Well, I have this data-bank in my head.  The data-bank operates my fingers to type URLs.  Favorites?  What are they?  Image  Seriously, I know most of these people and where their boards are.  If I don't know, I go profile snooping.  If that doesn't, work they can tell me. 

So, I see you and I type sixpackspeak and nafoom If you want nafoom added, you can ask.  I just remember these things.  Image

laffinalltheway wrote:I understand having a few MBA forums within a board so members can have private areas within the group to discuss personal issues that they don't want to share with the rest of the Yukuverse.  I understand why some of the PSP/design groups restrict access to their tag and skins shares forums to active members instead of just leaving them open for anyone to wander in and snag stuff.  And finally, I understand the reasons some groups prefer to be completely private as Bwayne has expressed.

I'm like Andrew, though, if an application comes up for a board, I just pass right on by.  I want to at least be able to read the rules of the group and see how the members interact with each other in a general, day-to-day fashion and see what the group is about so I can decide if I'm the right fit for the group and they're the right fit for me.

Do not know laffin but view point I understand.  I also pass on by groups that insist I join before looking in.  However in my community many of my strings have 3 to 4 times more viewers than participants and I have no idea who they are or where they come from. Most of my members have groups of their own anyway and readily say so.  My group and Bwayne's operate on much the same basis of more than one forums for different sets of participants.  Whoops sun came out. goodf day all. 

We have an MBA group and we like it. Some forums are "invisisble" but most of our members arrive by word of mouth. We are not actively seeking new members, if they come great. It's a little different with psp groups. Anonymous doesn't make much sense to me because you can see the blue light, and mostly work out who it is. "don't show online status" enables one to move about without being recognised.

There are many reasons why members don't want to be recognised, as is their right.

Admin

wendy1 wrote:Anonymous doesn't make much sense to me because you can see the blue light, and mostly work out who it is.
Anonymous was short for anonymous in the whosonline.  If their status indicator is on it does not mean that they are at your board, simply that they have been active somewhere on the yuku network within the last half hour.  This could simply mean they forgot to turn their PC off and their mouse moves occasionally.  Status indicators should be taken with a pinch of salt and no assumptions made.

I leave my PC on quite a lot because it does it's scans and updates late at night after I go to bed.