My Community

Author Comment

It was just brought to my attention that I may have been callous in my assessment of MBA boards.  In no way was I including those boards that are there for "help and support" for people who have undergone traumatic experiences and would rather not post on a public board.  And now, I think I'll go to bed before I open my mouth and change feet.

bwayne wrote:I think when you hover your pointer over the words "My Community", it should show in the text that comes up before you click. 
Oh thanks, now I see if I wait a bit, but I don't usually see hovertext as I've already clicked before it's come up Image. Have to say it's very useful now I know, as MBAs are doors I pass by too.

It was always a "problem" on the support board where, when interested in a particular problem or technique, one followed a link only to find the door locked Image. Ok if the board was manned by staff, whom I presume all had access (maybe, maybe not? but whatever). Now I guess I see the lock before I try the door.

As for anonymous viewing, I have my account set to anonymous as at one time I had many problems on some boards with those who I nicely refer to as "pain posters" and "downright troublemakers". It's easier them not knowing where I was Image

I closed up my Friendship Group at the insistents of my members, when Yuku added FB...many of us have been together in this group for 10 years first at MSN and now here, we share much of our personal life in there....I still get many members joining as I advertise it heaps.

andrew wrote:
wendy1 wrote:Anonymous doesn't make much sense to me because you can see the blue light, and mostly work out who it is.
Anonymous was short for anonymous in the whosonline.  If their status indicator is on it does not mean that they are at your board, simply that they have been active somewhere on the yuku network within the last half hour.  This could simply mean they forgot to turn their PC off and their mouse moves occasionally.  Status indicators should be taken with a pinch of salt and no assumptions made.

I am aware of that. l was making a distinction between "anonymous" and "don't show online status". If the light is on it's likely they are either on yuku somewhere or have been on in the last 15 minutes. Personally, l find the status indicator very reliable. Apart from one case that l know of whereby the indicator light doesn't work at all, neither does the name appear as being online.

My apologies, Sandy09's group is not MBA.

Thanks for all the info, sorry it took so long to reply to my post lol

Maybe I should put it to members whether they want it to be shown or not?

Admin

Sounds a good idea. Maybe you could ask what link/s (if any) they wish and that way you don't have to go hunting?

Yes Andrew I think I will do that ... going to try and do one for my Admin and see if I manage if not ... "I'll be ............back" lol ty

ok Andrew I think I did it, but when I hover over it ... it doesn't say her group name but it could be because I copied to much of the link .. it does however take me to her group/forum's main page, I will play with it and see ...

Nope can't get it to show up name when I hover mouse over it, not sure what I am not doing ... lol

Admin

Type the group name into the second box where it says "title".

Ty Andrew

Admin

You're welcome, Linda. Image

Andrew ... roflmao ... ermmmm .. where to find the second box that says title ... cause I can not see one .. I know I am probably being very stupid lol ... or it could be because I have added it on to mine and I have post auto titles for members ... any help would be appreciated ... ty

Let me tell you how I added the My Community because maybe that is the problem
I went into mine (as an example to show the members)
I clicked on Edit Custom Title ... I have a little tag there that says Manager/Owner
and just below that I typed My Community and hyperlinked the words to my forum

I also have auto titles un-enabled on mine as it is a post count Tshirt for New Members, etc... and I didn't want it showing on mine

Hope this all makes sense ... lol

Admin

This could be because you use Internet Explorer. There is a difference between the editors and IE users only get one field to insert a URL and that is it! Other browsers get a dialog box with thee fields: URL, title & text.

If that is the case, you will need to edit the HTML of the "post" by pressing the HTML button, so it glows yellow and manually typing it in.  Follow this example:
title="The Managers Hide Out" href="http://tmho.yuku.com/">My Community[/quote]

By jove I think that did it!! Ty Andrew you are an absolute star!! Is there anyway I can get that My Community to be all in caps and possibly a different colour? Sorry to be a pain xxx

Admin

Well, the simple way would be to type it in capitals. You should also be able to color it in the editor. However, we can alter it using CSS. This might need tweaking for your skin but we can use something like this to color and change to to uppercase:
.custom_title a {
color: #f00;
text-transform: uppercase;
}
If you need further help with tweaking, could you please supply a link to where we can see it in action on your skin?

Wow you answered so fast lol I came to tell you that I managed the caps by just changing it to caps in the code you gave me above lol ... I will try the other and if I have a problem will come back with a link, ty so very much again ((hugs)) ... maybe I don't even need a different colour maybe I can just bold it or something.

Andrew that worked like a charm ty ty ty!!!  Maybe I just need to bold it now?  Take a look

http://tmho.yuku.com?topic=4424/like---Community-Link-added---Post-Count

Admin

Yes, it is a little "weak" isn't it? Just add it in to what you already have.

.custom_title a {
color: #a1000c;
text-transform: uppercase;
font-weight: bold;
}[/quote]