Newest beta post editor - where to complain?

Author Comment

Thanks for the help. 

Also, I don't know if it is relevant, but I had noticed something else odd going on with the editor window, which I described here.
Additionally, I noticed something else odd while typing this post, and took a screenshot.  See how the cursor isn't quite lined up with the text?  It ended up there when I pressed 'enter'. 

Again, no idea if this is related, but I figure it couldn't hurt to let you know.

Admin

Yes, there should be a 5px "indent".  Oh!  I see what you mean! 

The text is sitting at the top of the line-height instead of the center. 

What is concerning me right now is this is not a yuku issue (that we know of because we have not heard of anyone else having this issue) and you think you are free from malware.  That leaves the possibility of something in the middle interfering.  e.g. a DNS hijack. 

By the way, I upgraded to Firefox 18.0.2 yesterday, so I am looking at the same thing as you are.  No problems. 

Let's suppose there is nothing malicious interfering...  What about themes or personas?  Addons?  Any out of date ones?  Could they be interfering?   Greasemonkey, NoScript, for example? 

If you are keen, you could try "installing" Firefox Portable.  http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable  You can install this to a location on your hard drive, if you so wish.  It will not interfere with your original installation whatsoever.  To "uninstall", simply delete the folder.  Just one thing, without tweaking it, you will only be able to run one version or the other.  If that happens to work, it will prove the issue is with your main installation and then we will have to go down the route of troubleshooting that.

The Java security issue arose on 10th January, so that is unlikely to be an issue unless it was a patch.  FWIW, I also updated Java last night too  (7 update 13).  I know it should not relate but in the past I have found some connection between JavaScript issues and updating Java for some reason resolved them. 

Could we be overlooking something simple like a bad file in cache?  I noticed when I updated that I actually maintained cached data.

Honestly what functionality is missing from the new editor that you need?

-PB integration like the old one is not going to happen, just embed the images normally using the embed or image button if you choose
-I am adding table styling, honestly you guys are the only users that even use that feature so its been tough to get feedback
-html in the editor isnt an option right now, maybe as a supporter feature.
-The new media embed plugin supports 200 sites, our old editor even with html support only supported video services that used the old style of embedding (iframe vs embed).

Admin

Personally, I understand the PB integration issue. On this front, why not have a button open a window say 3-400px wide, located top left (like smilies)? You have the PB username, so the URL can be generated and the window opens their top level album in PB. You have no API issue and it appeases those making the hard transition from all to none.

Table styling is somewhat dependent on how the new UI is pushed forward. Hopefully the responsive layout will remain an option because if it does not, you will lose one heck of a lot of boards and members. If the old templates are retained, then yes table styling is more important. Take for example a baseball board that presents a weekly in-season chart (of whatever it is they do), they want to be able to style that in an annual style and will probably make use of class names to do so. They go to a lot of time and effort to make sure presentation is just right for these. OK, that covers larger boards with a large member base. You will also find you have approx one server's worth of ex-MSN migrants, who want to use inline styling to play games. Agreed that the majority will not care but those that do care is not an insignificant number. Look at the vB editor; it allows basic styling and is bbCode. CKEditor table options are not being applied in your implementation of it.

There is a reason why the yuku editor uses HTML. It is a feature present on yuku/ezBoard for the last 14 years. The loss of this is the loss of a feature. Do you really think people see this as an upgrade? Reading between the lines of your comment on this, it looks like the WYSIWYG editor is going to be phased out. This is not good news and members will be lost. One good reason for it is the ability to edit existing posts. Go try that with your bbCode editor! I appreciate the security issue here but over a year of a developer's time went into producing that editor, not only to make it work but also to enable HTML posting. Does it really have to get washed away with an off-the-shelf editor?

Media embed is an issue because now people cannot post a link to that media. Not everyone wants it to render. Nice idea but not good enough. Whitelists is one way you could have chosen to go here.

Nice that you provided a center button but what if someone makes a mistake with its use? Currently, it is highlight and press left. Now it is "Source" and edit bbCode, which probably half these people have no clue how to do! If you provide center, left and right should be provided too.

No disrespect but what you are presenting to people has not got the look and feel of a quality product, such as either of the original yuku editors do. Even if you used Tiny MCE, the look and feel is just not there. There is nothing here that says to people that it is better in any way! You expect them to support that?

Don't get me wrong here. Most of us like change and look forward to newer and better things but emphasis on the better. You're not getting the valuable support you need here because people are not clammering over each other with excitement. Instead, they are fighting and angry because what you are doing is causing them a loss!

andrew wrote:Personally, I understand the PB integration issue. On this front, why not have a button open a window say 3-400px wide, located top left (like smilies)? You have the PB username, so the URL can be generated and the window opens their top level album in PB. You have no API issue and it appeases those making the hard transition from all to none.

Table styling is somewhat dependent on how the new UI is pushed forward. Hopefully the responsive layout will remain an option because if it does not, you will lose one heck of a lot of boards and members. If the old templates are retained, then yes table styling is more important. Take for example a baseball board that presents a weekly in-season chart (of whatever it is they do), they want to be able to style that in an annual style and will probably make use of class names to do so. They go to a lot of time and effort to make sure presentation is just right for these. OK, that covers larger boards with a large member base. You will also find you have approx one server's worth of ex-MSN migrants, who want to use inline styling to play games. Agreed that the majority will not care but those that do care is not an insignificant number. Look at the vB editor; it allows basic styling and is bbCode. CKEditor table options are not being applied in your implementation of it.

There is a reason why the yuku editor uses HTML. It is a feature present on yuku/ezBoard for the last 14 years. The loss of this is the loss of a feature. Do you really think people see this as an upgrade? Reading between the lines of your comment on this, it looks like the WYSIWYG editor is going to be phased out. This is not good news and members will be lost. One good reason for it is the ability to edit existing posts. Go try that with your bbCode editor! I appreciate the security issue here but over a year of a developer's time went into producing that editor, not only to make it work but also to enable HTML posting. Does it really have to get washed away with an off-the-shelf editor?

Media embed is an issue because now people cannot post a link to that media. Not everyone wants it to render. Nice idea but not good enough. Whitelists is one way you could have chosen to go here.

Nice that you provided a center button but what if someone makes a mistake with its use? Currently, it is highlight and press left. Now it is "Source" and edit bbCode, which probably half these people have no clue how to do! If you provide center, left and right should be provided too.

No disrespect but what you are presenting to people has not got the look and feel of a quality product, such as either of the original yuku editors do. Even if you used Tiny MCE, the look and feel is just not there. There is nothing here that says to people that it is better in any way! You expect them to support that?

Don't get me wrong here. Most of us like change and look forward to newer and better things but emphasis on the better. You're not getting the valuable support you need here because people are not clammering over each other with excitement. Instead, they are fighting and angry because what you are doing is causing them a loss!

1.) Table styling is being added as we speak, I am customizing it towards yuku users need. Even though 95% of our users will never create a table
2.) 14 years ago most people didnt even know what a style sheet was, myspace was the pinnacle of tech. That is no reason to keep things the way they are
3.) It is not off the shelf, there are many things which had to be added to get it working as is
4.) Post a link to the media using the url button/bbcode. how hard is that?
5.) There are three buttons for alignment up there so i have no idea what you are talking about
left
middle
right
6.) Doesn't matter to me how many years was spend on the old editor, its not my concern. Sustainability for future development is more important.

All of this was posted using the new editor....

Admin

Agreed that perhaps 95% will never create one but a whole lot more will use them and copy and paste them. Copy and pasting from post to reply is an issue that has been raised as impossible to do.

Please do not tell me what I knew 14 years ago. I used styles on ezBoard back then. What have stylesheets got to do with a post editor? The point is the removal of a long-standing feature. ezBoard long predated MySpace and unless you know something I don't pages still use HTML today.

Agreed that you worked on it but off-the-shelf is off-the-shelf. It was not created from scratch.

Your reply to #4 is insulting. Please follow this.

I am sorry, I am not using any editor and did not realize three alignment buttons now exist.

In relation to #6: convince people!

Frankly, I can see why so many people are upset by this. People see this as a step backwards and not forwards. If this is really so good, make your case and present it in a manner that you have people agreeing with you. Right now, this is only getting people's backs up. Many will have looked and reverted. They will be happy enough if the old editor remains. Watch them squeal if you remove it entirely.

All of this was posted using quickreply. I can type bbCode but most people here cannot.

Who are you talking to Andrew? For all I know this is someone off the street, if not then how rude not to introduce yourself "threadninja".

I have reverted to the old editor and here's the main reasons why; I am not stumbling around over at Face-book with theirs, I am not doing this at G+ either. I have just been to 3 other sites that needed me to use my credit card, again I did not stumble, once again everything was as smooth as it should be.

I come here and I am still wondering and starting to get real frustrated as to why I can't do a very simple kindergarten act and that's to copy and paste? I am tired of no longer having my browser built-in spell-check following me in here, all spelling errors WERE underlined in red with the old editor and this is such a handy gadget to have when one is in a rush like I and a million other users are, I could go on but haven't the time.

*btw* "threadninja" surely is not suggesting that 14 years ago we office workers were not using computers and that we sat there like idiots from space, I think an apoloy is due just on that one line of rudeness.

All this was posted using the old editor Image

I think threadninja is staff by the way of his/her wording...blunt and to the point with no leeway, its yukus way or no way.
Image This was typed using old editor Image

Redau wrote:Who are you talking to Andrew? For all I know this is someone off the street, if not then how rude not to introduce yourself "threadninja".I have reverted to the old editor and here's the main reasons why; I am not stumbling around over at Face-book with theirs, I am not doing this at G+ either. I have just been to 3 other sites that needed me to use my credit card, again I did not stumble, once again everything was as smooth as it should be.I come here and I am still wondering and starting to get real frustrated as to why I can't do a very simple kindergarten act and that's to copy and paste? I am tired of no longer having my browser built-in spell-check following me in here, all spelling errors WERE underlined in red with the old editor and this is such a handy gadget to have when one is in a rush like I and a million other users are, I could go on but haven't the time.*btw* "threadninja" surely is not suggesting that 14 years ago we office workers were not using computers and that we sat there like idiots from space, I think an apoloy is due just on that one line of rudeness.All this was posted using the old editor

What do you mean you cannot copy and paste?

There is a spell checker built in to the editor see the abc button. Browser spellcheck is a good point and I will look into it.

Admin

@Jorlem
andrew wrote:See how it goes. In the meantime, I will try and find out the ISP that caused that issue last year.
The ISP in question was T-Mobile USA, Inc.  I guess that idea is a non-starter.

Perhaps threadninja might want to take a look at this.

threadninja wrote:
Redau wrote:Who are you talking to Andrew? For all I know this is someone off the street, if not then how rude not to introduce yourself "threadninja".I have reverted to the old editor and here's the main reasons why; I am not stumbling around over at Face-book with theirs, I am not doing this at G+ either. I have just been to 3 other sites that needed me to use my credit card, again I did not stumble, once again everything was as smooth as it should be.I come here and I am still wondering and starting to get real frustrated as to why I can't do a very simple kindergarten act and that's to copy and paste? I am tired of no longer having my browser built-in spell-check following me in here, all spelling errors WERE underlined in red with the old editor and this is such a handy gadget to have when one is in a rush like I and a million other users are, I could go on but haven't the time.*btw* "threadninja" surely is not suggesting that 14 years ago we office workers were not using computers and that we sat there like idiots from space, I think an apoloy is due just on that one line of rudeness.All this was posted using the old editor

There is a spell checker built in to the editor see the abc button. Browser spellcheck is a good point and I will look into it.

I cannot copy and paste on my nexus7 with the new editor. Doing it was never a problem with the old editor.

auntiem wrote:
threadninja wrote:

I cannot copy and paste on my nexus7 with the new editor. Doing it was never a problem with the old editor.

I will look into this. Charging my android up now.

threadninja, the Yuku 2.0 (BBCODE) does not work in my iPad. 
It doesn't seem to be compatible.  I cannot drag and drop or type or anything whatsoever.

Consequently I have to keep switching from one editor to the next depending what I do while on Yuku,
or if I am using my PC or iPad.  Grids don't copy/paste in the bbcode editor either (the old bbcode, not the new.  So only the wysiwyg can be used for grid games.
The Yuku 2.0 (BBCODE) works as I describe here below but with errors and omissions

Grid Games do not copy/paste properly with the Yuku 2.0 (BBCODE).  There is always something missing when you post a grid with it, either part of the grid, or the formatting as to the grid being in the middle is not observed but places it to the left.  It leaves out some text color and reverts it back to black at times as well.  This is all with the grid games.  Just thought I would mention that one.

At least this has been my experience thus far.
I would hope that the wysiwyg editor will remain until the Yuku 2.0 (BBCODE) can accommodate all purposes,
I would hope that the old bbcode would remain as well as it is the only one I can use with my iPad to post images and use the nav bar on a post window.
The wysiwyg editor has no nav bar or any formatting whatsoever on the iPad.  Images and nothing else can be done with it except type and there is no definition of paragraphs etc.

I hope I explained it properly for you.

Thanks for taking the feedback looking into it.Image

Its totally beyond me why they are changing anything anyway..."if it aint broke......" comes to mind, the whole thing is a damn nightmare, and one i and many others could well do without...
perhaps Andrew you should build something here...everything works which if wonderful

Admin

It's difficult Jayne. On one hand, they are trying to build something that will work into the future but on the other hand, they are taking features away from you.

Think about it, it is broke. IE8+ has to be put into compatibility mode in order for it to work. IE8 came out 4 years ago!

Yes true.. :(