I can't get my fonts to change size in posts

Author Comment

I can't get my fonts to change size in posts either.Image This happened after I had to empty my cache because I couldn't access my admin section the usual way and support told me to do that to solve it. It did but then I now have the problem of not being able to change font sizes in my posts.

Admin

Gloria, you will probably hate me for saying this but you really deserve to know and then we can move on to try and help you.

You have got to be using the worst browser out there. For a better experience all round, try Firefox.

Browsers cache commonly used items to help speed up our browsing and reduce our bandwidth. Most of the time this works just fine! When there are changes though, the browser continues to keep a hold of the old version and this usually results in dysfunction. Additionally on very rare occasions we can end up with either a partial or broken file in our cache.

Internet Exploder works like no other browser and in fact, it calls its cache "Temporary Internet Files". Its manner of storing these files is very strange too. What should be a very simple job (clearing cache) does not always result in what we expect. The process often needs repeated. In addition to this, an option was added called "Preserve favorites website data". Essentially what this does is retain cached files for any sites you keep in your bookmarks (translated Favorites). In order for you to effectively clear your cache, this checkbox needs cleared. To be clear in this case, the only box that should be checked is "Temporary Internet Files".

At the end of the day, you simply do not know if Internet Exploder did the job properly or if there was another change. Any sign of anything like this, clear your cache and try again. This may need repeated 3-5 times before it is successful. This is the nature of IE and one of the many reasons you should ditch it.

As for compatibility mode, no other browser has that or needs it.  Just make sure you are using it on yuku.  Sometimes that too can seem to develop a mind of its own. 

IE is losing 10% of its market share every year.  If you follow this trend, it ought to be extinct in 2016-17.  There is a very goo reason for this and simply put, people are provided with this browser on a Windoze system and yet they still walk with their feet. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that people that do happen to use other browsers are not having some issues; what I am saying is that they are a very quick and easy fix, if necessary (and it tends to be less necessary).

What's happening is I can't seem to have access to my admin area at the same time as also being able to enlarge fonts in my yuku posts. This all started when YUKU changed their admin area and not before.

Ok, I'll download Firefox...again. We tried it onetime and suddenly we couldn't copy and paste anything.

OK downloaded Firefox and I can access the admin area but again, can't enlarge type in the posts.

Admin

I think you are just used to habits there. Use Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

I'm hearing what you are saying there. This does sound strange.

Temporarily, could you not access your Admin area from a bookmark or link?

http://boardname.yuku.com/admin/main

I would think that Firefox will get you out of the hole though.  I guess yuku has to do some work on some IE related stuff.

The copy and paste is working this time with the Firefox and can access the admin area but can't enlarge the type in the posts.

Admin

Testing

I think you are jinxed, Gloria!  LOL 

Can passers by please test this?

Wait a minute ... What editor are you using?  Might be worth flipping them and checking and then back again if need be.

http://gloriaw.u.yuku.com/settings/prefs

You may find that you are not using the WYSIWYG choice.

Now, tried Google Chrome and with that browser I can enlarge the font. Unbelievable all this.Image

Admin

Very odd!

Is this only at your board Gloria or any one?

OH had this problem on the other YUKU board I help run. But so far Google  Chrome is doing the trick. This is the stuff that drives people to drink and I live in Ireland so they don't need much excuse either.Image

OH, and just looked and I do have that WYSIWYG choice ticked.

Admin

That sure is weird because the only people I have heard of so far that have issues with the WYSIWYG post editor are those using IE and usually this is down to requiring compatibility mode enabled (but recently due to changes may be a cache issue).

Maybe not what you want but at least you can function.

Me? I just took an aspirin! Image

Just checking further, would these two groups have a similar skin? e.g. maybe from the same base

NO, I use YUKU skins the other uses some made at a skins group. I doubt it has anything to do with that. It's a browser issue I would say.

Meanwhile, I need to figure out how to get my favorites from IE9 into this Google Chrome bookmarks. Any help and please, spell it out like to a child!Image

Admin

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=96816

It's very strange that the issue would occur in two browsers. As they are entirely different skins, all that is in common is your account, your Internet connection and your PC. It may be worth trying to flip your editor to bbCode and then back again, just in case is corrects something. Cannot see it being your connection unless your ISP uses inline caching. What the heck could it be on a PC? Security software? Don't see how at the moment. It's a head scratcher.

Testing  Image FF

Andrew, Michael had problems enlarging font (using bbc code) a few days ago. He originally used: [*size=xx-large], which still doesn't work, but using numbers: [*size=300], worked.
This is 300: font
I just use the handy little option in the reply box tool bar, and easily get this. Image I use the wysiwyg in my Editor Type options. Browser is Firefox.
Just tested, and it also works the same in IE8.

Admin

Yes but Michael is using Opera and the bbCode editor. This is likely to be related to the introduction of the CKEditor and a bit of messing around with the bbCode. I advised him to submit a ticket on it: http://support.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?t=1710/

There may well be a common factor but we are talking about the WYSIWYG post editor, which works for you, I Sally and most people, not working for Gloria in two browsers - including Firefox - yet it does work in Chrome.

Thinking this through, what if Gloria has security software obscuring her user agent string and a form of editor selection has been implemented without our knowledge? Being honest, it is a long time since I ever saw the bbCode editor but I guess it is possible Gloria is being served it somehow instead of the expected WYSIWYG.

Yes, you might be on the track of something here, just not sure what though.

Unfortunately, I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box with all this so for now the fact that I can get back on track with Google Chrome is enough for me. All I know for sure is that none of this was a problem until YUKU changed the admin section setup. And what kills me, is that the new setup is not far superior in anyway that I can see.

Wish they'd take the time they had to do that and apply it to fixing their search function. That is pathetic. Even the old MSN groups had a better directory for their groups.Image 

Thank you Andrew and others for taking time to try to help. Much appreciated.

Admin

I'm really not sure how they can be related but there were enhancements made to the new Yuku Post Editor at the same time.

This started with "Here is another IE user with the same old problems" and changed completely when the same symptoms were present in Firefox. Along comes Chrome and it suddenly works? We're left running around trying to think of where the possible cause may lie.

This is a very unusual situation and pinning it down may be hard, then at the end of the day the new post editor is implemented and the issue may simply disappear.