Custom Domain Name Help

Author Comment

Hi all. I have a problem with a domain... I have my own domain and I want to use it on yuku but I'm not sure what I have to do....

Support told me to use CNAME but I have no idea what I have to change there.

They sent me a link to a page where I entered my domain name.

My domain is hosted at godaddy. I have the option to forward the domain but visitors will see the yuku URL and I don't want that. I want the URL to be my domain name.

There must be a way to do that.

Anyone familiar with CNAME.

Admin

There was a previous post asking about this: http://support.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?t=1727/Domain-URL-Redirect

When I last did this, I created a custom DNS entries but that was for a subdomain.

The CNAME is an abbreviation for a Canonical Name. It's been a long time since I messed with GoDaddy records but I turned up this page, which may help you: http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/7921/adding-or-editing-cname-records

What I am not sure about is how to enter the CNAME for the root (i.e. non www version).

CNAME may be the better way to go but I don't know anyone that uses that for yuku. They all use either switch DNS to yuku's DNS servers or have created a custom A Record. It works and was also the way we were told to do this in the past.

As a related aside, I would appreciate the link you were given as it has been removed from our control panels. You can remove the boardname, if you wish. It would just be handy to access some of our pages!

Hello

This is the link they gave me

http://yoursite.yuku.com/domainadmin/fqdn

There I entered my domain.

Yes, I don't think CNAME can forward the root... only A record can do that but they didn't give me the IP of the server...
They told me to do that with CNAME but I forwarded the www. and it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Admin

Yep. Ignore the advice and point your domain's DNS to:

ns1.yuku.com
ns2.yuku.com

If you go the A Record route (I do know someone that did for a subdomain), you'd have to ping the yuku board and get the IP from that to enter but then you would be stuck if your board underwent a server move.

I really think the CNAME advice was for a subdomain.

Please be aware that when you forward your domain, the yuku board still exists (you will then have two copies) and that is not so good for your SEO. The canonical URLs implemented read for one domain or another and don't help either.

Thanks for the link. It has sure made things a lot clearer to me about the direction things are heading (and that is not necessarily a bad thing).

Well, yuku keep telling me the only way is via CNAME and I gave up on it because the urls on the boards never switched to main domain... on forumer a url that is let's say boardname.forumer.com/topic-title was automatically changed to mydomain.com/topic-title... I guess here this is impossible.

Admin

No, it does work. What might be happening is yuku may not have updated its DNS. This seems to be both hit and miss as well as erratic in time.

I read what you say another way. The yuku URLs will not change. They don't. You would need to try accessing from your domain to find out if it worked or not. i.e. you would have two sets of URLs just like you mentioned above.

This one is simply done by entering the nameservers:
http://caninesupportgroup.yuku.com/
http://forum.caninesupportgroup.com/

If it were me, I would drop in an .htaccess redirect on your current working domain for the time being. That will at least move people to where you want them. Make sure your domain is entered correctly on the yuku page we discussed above. It may take 2-7 days before this kicks in. Not sure if it is done manually or not. Then flip the DNS from your own hosting to yuku's DNS as noted above. When the DNS changes propogate (1-72 hours), people should be redirected to your board with your domain name in the URL. (They will have to sign in again.)

As a last ditch, why not use the domain for some content and make a subdomain for the forum and then you can try the CNAME method?

I should also point out things seem to have changed. We used to have a link to that page in our ACP and it was removed. You will note on that page it refers to "Domain Hosting is available as part of enterprise option only". We know nothing of this yet. My guess is this will become a paid for feature. So, whether it works right now or not is questionable.

Just a thought ... If you already had your DNS pointing to Forumer and it worked and Forumer in turn redirects to yuku, would not at least the root URL work?

No I asked them about the nameservers and they said no, the only way is CNAME. Maybe it has something to do with us former forumers being hosted at .fr.yuku.com not directly at yuku.com (sorry if I'm talking nonsense here lol) about the enterprise part, they told me to ignore that part and that it's still free...

Anyway, I'll try changing the nameservers and I'll see what happens. I always enter the forum via the domain name. The funny part is that when I write an url like this mydomain.com/some-page-some-thread it loads fine but the url changes to myforum.fr.yuku.com/some-page-some-thread

Admin

That's still your old DNS producing that result. i.e. the double redirect. Sit back and wait a while. It will either work or not.

I can now confirm that changing the nameservers to yuku's does forward the domain and masks the url's thanks for the help!ImageImage

Admin

That was recent. Only a few hours ago, the DNS was still pointed at Forumer.

The problem was that theoretically it could be done if the CNAME was the sole record for the domain root but especially for .com addresses, this is not allowed by the registrars and neither does GoDaddy allow this as an option. By rights though, you should have been able to forward the www. subdirectory but it was likely getting superseded by other records you had in place.

The thing to be aware of is that you will have two versions of your site (requiring separate logins). The yuku version still exists, just like the example I posted above in post #5.

Hi Andrew!!

Just wanted to say first Johanna from http://caninesupportgroup.yuku.com/
sent me to you!!

I didn't want to open a new thread since this seems to be exactly what I've been trying to do for the past week. Ugh.

What I've done so far--
First, I logged into my cpanel and did a 301 redirect and that worked great except that the browser did not show my domain name- foreverdreaming.org

Then, I re-wrote the htaccess file to "mask" the domain as well and that kind of worked except that (of course) it masked all of my forums as well to foreverdreaming.org (how it is right now).

What I want is for the domain name to point to the board and show the url- foreverdreaming.org in the browser but ONLY on the main page(index) not all of the forums and subforums of the board. If they are masked then I can't see the actual links for bookmarking and linking, etc. I hope that makes sense.

So, I finally asked yuku- and they told me- You need to use CNAME because that is the only option we support. We have a changing IP so anything other than CNAME would only work for a short time.
You need to discuss this with your domain host though, as all hosts are different we can't really give you instructions as we don't know how yours is set up.

You will need this:
http://foreverdreaming58099.yuku.com/domainadmin/fqdn

So, then I did some research last night and saw that Johanna's board was kind of doing what I was looking for and I emailed her asking for some direction and she said to come here and all my problems would go away (lol) she really did!!!... anyway, I'm getting frustrated because now I don't know what to do!! Also, I don't want to have a problem with frames, a duplicate site, hurt my rankings, etc... so what is the best way for me to accomplish this or should I just let it go and forget about it??

Admin

Hi there!

You will note in my post #6 that caninesupportgroup has two sites. One is a subdomain and one is a yuku subdomain. As you seem to be aware, this is harmful to SEO. I do advise you against this, just the same as I advised Johanna against it. In reality, this pulled her from a PR3 (and climbing) to a PR1.

While it is theoretically possible to CNAME a domain root, it is generally not allowed by registrars. Pointing DNS to yuku does work for this though and yuku's name servers are in post #4.

Pointing DNS to yuku used to be the method advised but there were issues with this and in particular this was with subdomains and when yuku was hosted on Amazon servers (which have an ever changing IP).

Okay, thank you for that information!

I'm not sure if I can do CNAME or not? The domain is from godaddy, but I'm hosted on alwayswebhosting. So, I'm getting a little confused.. my NS are already pointing to my host.

If it's just not possible (or should I rather say, not good for the site) should I just get rid of the masking and just keep a 301 then? Or should I try to do a CNAME?

Admin

As Stan found out, GoDaddy will not allow this through the cPanel (at least for a domain root). The difficulty is that to use a CNAME, it must be the sole record.

Can you not create a subdomain and then point that to yuku?

Let me try and have a look at your site and see if I get any alternative ideas.

Can you not create a subdomain and then point that to yuku?

Sure, I think I could do that... as far as creating a subforum and then point that to yuku. Not entirely sure.. I'm guessing you are saying on my host (cpanel files) to just create a file or something for example- foreverdreaming.org/forums ??? and then direct that??
Let me try and have a look at your site and

And okay, let me know if you need any other information or login for it.

Admin

No, I meant create a subdomain like http://forum.foreverdreaming.com . In that way, it would have a separate set of records from the domain root.

You'd still have two versions of the site though and there is no way around that.

I did drop you an email (rather than PM) because I did indeed find it was closed off. I did have some alternative ideas though and passed them on.

You'd still have two versions of the site though and there is no way around that.

Question regarding that... when I first did the 301 it seemed to have two versions also, is this correct in my thinking or no?

And why would having a sub-domain help? (I apologize if this is a stupid question).

Admin

There will always be two versions because yuku never take down their version.

A subdomain would help because it is possible to make a CNAME the sole record for it, which is necessary in order for the CNAME to work.

What I did not know initially was whether you had a hosting or not. Suppose you were to flip DNS or (if it were possible) set a CNAME for the root, you would be unable to use your hosting.

That's what I thought about the two versions. Thank you for clarifying.

And yes, I do have hosting and no, I would not want to lose that because I have all my images/files/etc. stored there.

So, my only choice on this particular idea would be to do the sub-domain route with CNAME or go back to the regular 301 re-direct w/o the masking. Is this correct?

Admin

Yep, I think you've got it!

The 301 will transfer any ranking and prevent duplicate content. The CNAME will split your PageRank. Masking is pointless as it really cannot be used.