extension on profile names

Author Comment

it seems that since i signed up on a board 10 years ago that my profile name has an extension on it that promotes that boards theme.
I am told i can not have my name just be Sally as that name is taken.but that sally hasn't been around for years nor has posted anywhere. it may even be me???
I am now on another new board where the extension name would be mistaken for the theme of the board and i do not want that to be associated with the old board.
i am given no recourse.
i do not think this is fair. just saying >:

Admin

The name may very well be taken but the account can still be transferred if they so choose.

Total Posts: 4
Last Post: 02/06/08 22:07:22

To me, it looks like the last post was likely on ezBoard and that account has not been logged-into on yuku in nearly 5 years. The same principle applies here as applies to changing Ownership of a board. At their discretion, yuku could attempt to write to the profile Owner at the email address associated with it. The chances of that email being received are low.

If you think it may actually be your own profile, I would suggest submitting a ticket and include any email addresses that you may happen to recall from that time. Of course, we never remember them all, so that should be made clear too. Your first submission could determine how this is received and considered, so a well thought out and drafted submission can be crucial because if you are told "no" the first time around, any further correspondence is highly likely to follow the same line.

These global profiles are not yet taken:

http://5ally.u.yuku.com/

http://Saiiy.u.yuku.com/

http://S4lly.u.yuku.com/

http://Sal-ly.u.yuku.com/ (a space between the "l"'s)

They are all visually similar and contain no boardname extension. If you have no luck requesting the Sally@u profile, you may wish to consider these. On traditional yuku boards the Username Replacement Script may be used to finalize the cosmetic look of the name but on the Responsive Design (new UI) boards, this is not currently an option.

You have the option to use any profile you "own" to post on the new board. If you happen to be registered as that board's Owner with an account with a boardname extension, this too can be changed by submitting a ticket, complete with the necessary information.

http://help.yuku.com/support/solutions/ ... -community

A final option would be to create yet another Local Profile for the new board in question. The boardname extension would not show on that board but it will make it trickier for you to manage your accounts.

Whatever route you choose, I suggest not using your current profile to post at that board right now. Get your profile issue resolved first.

Location: Orange County, Calif. (near Disneyland and Los Angeles)

I started out on ezboard as SciFiGuy1 because scifiguy was already taken.

I observed that scifiguy had apparently left ezboard. I contacted ezboard (a worker named James helped me -- I believe he's passed away), and ezboard wrote to scifiguy at his e-mail address. He waited one month for a reply. When there was no reply, he transferred the name scifiguy to me as SciFiGuy.

Thank You Both.
i ended up using another profile name i already had.
in the mean time i tried to erase any posts by my name with extension and ended up erasing all posts there. LOL
its ok tho as i was able to save some posts.

Admin

Well, at least you found an answer.

IMHO, if anyone is deserving of the Sally@u profile, it is you. You are a long term member, who is an administrator for the 39th top board on yuku (according to Alexa stats).

Thanks Andrew, i think i should have my name also. how did i know when i first came on the ezboard site and posted on numerous t boards and even was an admin. on a big hearing board and then joined the biggest T community there is, that i would have that extension with me forever. i don't remember having an extension then or being warned that i would have an extension.
so the answer from them is;
"That account belongs to someone else. It is their choice if they choose to post with it."

and when i asked who the agents are, i got this;
"Agents green and orange are help desk employees of Crowdgather."

Wow how we lose friends over the years surprises me.
i am so hurt and sad.
i said i give up in the other thread. well i give up again.
i am guessing that if any of the "help desk employees" get drift of my sharing that i will be banned.
boy will that leave a lot of people without help.

Admin

The ezBoard limitation was that a Local Account could only post on the board it registered. There was no boardname extention. Only when these accounts were migrated to yuku, did the boardname extention appear and posting was allowed on all boards.

Sally, I can tell you exactly what colored agent wrote these lines and who it is. Best you give up on this one, even if you do feel justified.

I think I will follow this one up privately. Please try to put this behind you and gain a firm belief in karma.

There's a person at Yuku who refers to himself (herself) as Agent Orange?

Admin

about:config: "This might void your warranty!"

Hi its me again about the extension name.
is there a code to hide the extension on my name on a new style board i have?

Admin

No.

No scripts are possible on the beta Responsive Design boards.

Thank You for replying.

andrew wrote:Well, at least you found an answer.

IMHO, if anyone is deserving of the Sally@u profile, it is you. You are a long term member, who is an administrator for the 39th top board on yuku (according to Alexa stats).

How/where did you find this info Andrew? You peaked my curiosity :D .

Admin

Which part? :P

I have to be a little cautions here... I know how long Sally has been around. A clue can be gained from viewing her profile because she has been around longer than the profile. The board in question she would rather not link to or mention and besides that, they made changes that made the board drop like a stone! These changes were provoked by advertisement removal costs. The board got high traffic because many people ended there while looking for yuku help (among other things). At the time of posting, it was listed 39th in the list of popularity at Alexa. I assure you that it is not in the top 100 today.

Beware of the stats because they can easily be misleading. For example, these stats are derived primarily from people who use the Alexa Toolbar. Additionally, many thousands of boards have been migrated from other CrowdGather sites, making the stats look better than they really are. You want to scroll down to "Where do visitors go on yuku.com?" and click "more" at the bottom of that section. Unfortunately, Alexa have made recent changes to the site, making much unavailable without subscribing. Alexa has been around a very long time and is older than Google.

Yay :P

Yuku has announced their newest feature. Upon request by many, the team has developed an option for admins to replace usernames on the board. This feature is now available to boards that use the responsive design.
Look for a new option in your admin control panel.

They also announced:
All members now have an option to change their username.

Admin

Sounds bigger and better than it is from your words. Let me reword it:

The Username Replacement Script has now been added to Responsive Design boards as an admin option (versus a code you need to enter on conventional boards).

The last one is very misleading. "New" profiles have always had the option to change their "Display Name". This actually only shows in the profile and nowhere else.

Do you want the whole wording?

Admin

No, it is OK. I went and read it, after you posted.

At the end of the day, these are really very small things but somewhat overstated.

It is good that a function (script or widget, whatever you wish to call it) that was removed by the introduction of the Responsive Design has been added back to it.

andrew wrote:Sounds bigger and better than it is from your words. Let me reword it:

The Username Replacement Script has now been added to Responsive Design boards as an admin option (versus a code you need to enter on conventional boards).

The last one is very misleading. "New" profiles have always had the option to change their "Display Name". This actually only shows in the profile and nowhere else.

Hi Andrew. :)

You possibly already know this, but they can change their username and it shows on the boards. We already have one that has done this, and who is not doing what we asked. We ask that our members add an FKA to their signature, because this could get annoying. :D

Admin

Yes, it was confusing because they were two completely different things! :lol

It is indeed very confusing on the forums and this was one reason cited not to give Members this ability.

Personally, I am quite OK with this if the member uses a FKA as you described for say 3-6 months. People adjust quick enough but some members are less frequent attenders.

In your case, I have no trouble losing the digits off your name with no FKA. Heck, it is close enough and your avatar is always recognizable.

I could allow members to change their username here, if I wanted. However, I am happier to change it for them - only takes 20 seconds - and then I am aware of that change. I can advise the member appropriately at that point too.

It might have been nicer on a network if Admins also had this choice, i.e. whether to allow members to change their name or not.