views and visitors

Author Comment

some members complained and said that it seemed we were giving them no choice but to pay.
it will be worked out soon i hope. maybe i will "educate them" and see what they say to that.
thanks again.

Admin

They have the choice. If they log in, they don't see ads. Your money goes further that way.

Good luck!

You could sell the benefits of logging in. The biggie on any board is that the read and unread icons are up to date and useful.

Thank You Andrew and Casey

Admin

andrew wrote:These numbers do not match your thoughts. They say that you have a heck of a lot of one-hit-wonders.

One other factor that will increase both your visits and visitors at the same time are certain security suites.

Yesterday, I noticed someone visit here and they hauled along Trend Micro. Tend Micro also downloaded every page that user did BUT they did this from different IPs. That single visitor had 11 followers at one point and all of them were Trend Micro.

Another visitor we have here is followed by their ISP (TalkTalk) but I don't think that looks at every page. Whether this happens to all TalkTalk users (I think not) or if they at some point used a security suite supplied by their ISP, I do not know.

I also seem to have a recollection that McAfee does this. I see these IPs trying to access restricted areas after someone else has.

On Yuku, you cannot see this.

What I am saying in brief is that some of your users will be incurring double page loads due to their security software. Even suppose they are a "Supporter", Trend Micro or whoever is not.

These security software page loads most likely do download adverts too as they are a part of a user experience and the page as a whole needs to be classed as either good or bad. However, from an advertiser's point of view, no money can ever be made from these ad "views". I pity any Adisn advertisers that are misled by yuku's stats. I also feel sorry for people who pay for "Gold" and yet find that the stats used to charge for the Gold (if over 50,000 page views per month) because they are being charged for adverts that are not being downloaded and/or displayed.

I should add that most people do not use Trend Micro or McAfee and more likely use a free product instead. However, remnants of these may remain installed on a machine after the product is "uninstalled" and continue the practice of "following" now ex-users around.

It's also possible that the popular AVG security suite may also use this behavior but I do not recall seeing any evidence of this personally.

If I can find evidence of other security suites or confirmation of the ones I mentioned, I will post them back here.

What jogged my mind to post this? I recently saw another load of Trend Micro "guests". Here, it does not bother me but if I were paying for "Gold" on yuku, it would.

So should "Members" be unchecked in the first block
... if I set the second block "post count members" to a number?

Admin

Sorry, I am very confused here. What is it that you are trying to do and what page are you on?

sorry... Silly me Here I thot you were a mind-reader
Admin tools, Ad Fine Tuning>
First block is for
Use this section to adjust who views ads by user type of administrator, moderator or member. Unchecking a group means no exceptions will be made

it has groups like Admin, Mods, Members, Logged in members and logged in non-members that can be checked by a small box beside it
NEXT box has
Exceptions by status:
Use this section to adjust who views ads by post count, membership and points. Leaving a value empty or zero means no exceptions will be made.

Post count, Membership (months) and Points count

My question was if I choose to select
all who have 1000 posts
to not see the ads, will I need the 'Members' to be checked in the top block?

Admin

Oooooooh... Good question!

Normally, when an exception is offered, the selection has already been made. (Think forum access here.) Whether this works the same way, I have no clue!

My inclination is to say yes, "Members" should be checked but logic says, how the heck can they make 1,000 posts if they are not a member. I do see your reasoning!

Who do we know that could be a guinea-pig? :D

ROFL