Is Yuku Down? - Check here and compare notes

Author Comment

Admin

Yuku can be down for a number of reasons. It may just simply be down as a whole. It may be isolated to a single board server. It may be isolated to a single profile server. It may be isolated to a particular board. It may also be an issue at your end or somewhere in the middle.

These sites check the yuku homepage and let you know if the homepage is responding or not:

These are only good for the homepage right now and the whole network would most likely have to be down before that goes down.

Some things to try:

1. Check several boards rather than just one. *
  2. Log out and check again.
  3. Clear your cache.
  4. Check with an alternative browser. (Try Comodo Dragon)
  5. Flush your DNS cache.
  6. Compare notes with other members off the yuku network.
  7. Last resort is to submit a ticket ** and include as much detail as you can, as well as everything you have tried. Don't forget to include what browser and version you are using and if referring to times of day, remember to include your time zone. Please take your time here as the more you include, the more likely the issue is to be swiftly resolved.

* The server number is found by hovering the "Yuku" link in the footer of most pages. Ignore the end part (after the @) and note the "web" number and the "c" number". The digit/s after the "c" are the board's server number (and the number after the "web" is the "front layer" number but this is not often needed). Include both for completeness and speed.

** If you cannot access the help desk either, you could try sending an email to: helpdesk [at] yuku.com

andrew wrote:
  1. Flush your DNS cache.

Note for Mac users… because the terminal command includes "sudo," you must be in an administrative account to flush DNS. Being in a standard account and providing an administrative username and password isn't enough to be able to use sudo.

Most users are probably in an administrative account anyway, so this shouldn't be an issue for the majority. You'll simply be prompted to enter your administrative password before the command does its thing.

How about checking via Mobile Phone/Tablet PC Tower and top of the range lap-top only to find all Yuku stuff down for the count.

Now repeat all the above with Zeta and F/B and what do you know they are all up and running so I for one don't mess (cleaning out cookies etc) with any of the above as it is obvious it's Yuku at fault - we have a few discussions as to why this is not happening to everyone over at F/B so far no one can figure it out.

Admin

If you are referring to Facebook and random 404 pages, this seems to be a DNS issue. Flush DNS and off you go again for another day or so.

No, you are right that checking with another device is also an option.

Not really apportioning blame here, rather getting back in action again. Sites undergoing constant development or rapid growth can and do cause issues at the user end; this is just the nature of the Internet.

For some reason yuku has become a target for DDoS attacks (Distributed Denial of Service), which briefly is when a number of machines are used to either flood the bandwidth or the server resources and cause the site not to respond for a regular user.

DDoS attacks have increased significantly over the last couple of years and are set to get even worse. Arguably, this is the next major hurdle the Internet has to overcome.

Getting back specifically to yuku, the servers were hardened a very long time ago in the ezBoard days. ezBoard was big and therefore a target. True, servers were added and upgraded, then yuku was moved to Amazon AWS but now it is residing on completely new hardware in CrowdGather's Network Operations Center (NOC).

My question is: What has changed?

Are the old defences no longer adequate? Are they even still present? There certainly are statistical differences, which seem to coincide with the last server move, so yes this may very well be at the bottom of things.

Are these recent attacks taking a different form and new mitigation measures have to be implemented? Certainly DDoS Attacks are evolving.

DDoS Attacking is a criminal offense in many countries and yet one can easily be ordered for a few dollars these days.

What is the purpose of a DDoS Attack?

Obviously, people are making money from it but that is not always the case. DDoS Attacks can be used as a method of testing system/s and quite legally and legitimately too. This unfortunately has a downside in that it makes this more accessible to undesireables. The old reason was usually someone with a grudge. A DDoS Attack can be ordered from $5-100, with ease these days, so this makes it much more likely to happen. DDoS Attacks can be common between competitors in a field too. The real danger is that a DDoS Attack is just a smokescreen for other activity, e.g. cracking or hacking. If a DDoS attack is dealt with manually, then people's eyes are not elsewhere.

Anyhow, the real reason for this topic is to give people a place to come, when yuku is down. Either notes can be compared or feel free to make some new topics in our General Chat forum, either to gather your members or simply carry on posting, when you cannot at yuku. I have no reason to remove these topics and posts can always be copied back to your own boards as and when you desire.

i don't seem to be able to access any of the boards i tried nor yuku support forums.
anyone else having a problem with it?

Admin

Yuku.com is DOWN for everyone.

Pull up a chair in General Chat and wait it out.

Yuku is down for me on this lap top but not my other one.
What have I done Andrew please.....boo hoo!

Well I did a restore, I have yuku back but I can't use topic tools or forum jump on any of the yuku groups which I belong to.

Admin

What you have done is upgraded to IE11. You have two choices:
  • Uninstall IE11 and revert to IE10, if you can.
  • Use any other browser.

Thank you Andrew, I was scared to do that on my own but I did it.......un stalled IE11.
Now the features are working again, I could hug you. :D

Admin

Thanks for reporting back on that.

I was a little over-brief in posting the response due to distractions but conventional boards on yuku do not work with IE11. You've seen the symptoms, so you know what happens. The responsive design will work but I really hope this is going to be fixed (already not timeously) rather than used as a way to force people to use the beta RD.

Just be careful to avoid the IE11 update until the all clear has been pronounced.

Now... if you hear of anyone with similar difficulties, you know what to tell them. ;)

Or you could install IE11 and avoid Yuku. :)

I like yuku Casey ;)
Thanx Andrew I will pass this on if it ever comes up.
If I have a problem I type it into google and it usually brings me to this group anyway so well done! :D

Admin

and you wonder how I spend my time? :lol

Of course, now I have to work on getting this topic to appear in whatever it was you searched for... maybe. :D

I rather liked Casey's post. It is certainly a very valid third option that I overlooked. Very thorough and very funny too! :rollin

FYI
Yuku is down at the moment.
they are working on restoring the problem.

just in case anyone cares to know.

edited; i forgot to add what Yuku said to my ticket so that others will know its not just me;
"We are experiencing network issues, our team is working
to sort them out. We have updates here:
yukusupport.yuku.com/topic/2213/

However, the support forum is affected by the issues as
well, so the topic disappears off and on. We expect the
issues to be resolved by mid-morning EDT."

Shouldn't the updates occur in a place that isn't down, such as the front page of the ticketing area?

Thank you Sally, I wondered what was happening with yuku.
The boards look a mess as a lot of PB images are X's.

Thank you for the update, Sally :)

6½ hours later, Yuku is still not back up... and what stroke of brilliance to put the updates on the support board that is also, ta-da, down. Brilliance!

Michael

Over an hour to post a simple birthday thread last night. Didn't think I'd ever get it done, but I did, which got me to bed really late. And now, the person won't even see their thread on their birthday. In the scheme of things, not a big deal, but since I am annoyed by yuku, it's a very big deal.

ah, yuku.
How do I loathe you?
Let me count the ways.
Over a hundred just today.
:P

Oh well Michael and Ella, if yuku wasn't down I wouldn't have met you two. ;)

It's still down btw :P