What is a "teaser" view, And how is it made?

Author Comment

The member jgestar said this in another post:

In the near future access to that section will be limited to members only for privacy reasons. I won't make that section invisible, but will set it up with a "teaser" view. That may encourage some of the lurkers to become members.

How does that work? With the teaser window and how is it made?

Admin

Someone else asked me this yesterday.  Image

In your Manage Forums section, click "Settings" to the right of a forum.  Scroll down to "Reading Restrictions" and you will find "Teaser (title)" and "Teaser (topic)".

Teaser (title) Partial MBA - members can read the "last comment" column on the main page, but need to apply to enter the forum..

Teaser (topic) Partial MBA - members can enter the forum, but need to apply to enter the topics.

I've always wondered what that was.  Glad someone asked. Image

I had 1-2 more replies on this topic. In the first reply I thanked Andrew for the answer. I thought maybe the posts would be visible to me today, but not! :-(

I only see a total of 4 replies...5 counting the one that I'm about to make. Image

Just to clarify, here's why I want a teaser view for a single board on an open forum. 

First off, this particular board is set up for posting Classified Ads.  Lead posting is limited to established forum members (all the reply options are hidden).  However, with an open board, I cannot exclude guests or logged off members from reading the posts.  There have been a few scattered instances of misbehavior.  To protect the sellers, I need to exclude trouble makers, either guests or members.  A reading restriction provides access control.  I will set the "exception" so members with at least one post may access the board.  The setup looks like this on the admin panel (Huh?  Since when does this show Votes? instead of Kudos or Points?):

Still, I don't want to exclude anyone willing to behave.  The teaser shows topic titles and hopefully guests will be interested.  To see the actual content, they simply join the forum.  I am working on the skin to hide the pop up MBA application form (by adding fieldset { display: none; } to the CSS) and adding New Member links to the board header.  The links will redirect prospective new members to a thread explaining how to join and how to set up a Yuku Global* account.

Historically, the Classified Ad board receives a disproportionate number of page views.  Many of those views are guests watching for a good deal.  If guests are not willing to join, then the forum can save a few ad-views.  Members pay the Gold Community costs, so they should not have to subsidize non-member shopping.

Tom

* I despise Yuku local accounts.  I want to encourage new members to setup global accounts.

Thank you for explaining it so thoroughly! How smart about the page views!

I tried to do the title teaser for one of my forums I use for tutorials. I logged out, clicked on the forum title from the main page, but was told to log in or register. I don't understand that because I thought I would be able to see the list of topics inside the forum.

The Teaser (title) option shows the board title on the front page, but goes to the MBA registration page when you click on the title.

The Teaser (topic) options allows the reader to open the board and see the topics, but goes to the MBA registration page when you click on the topic.

The MBA registration page includes the board header, but none of the breadcrumbs or other information about that particular board.

Tom

Thanks Tom! I finally got it! LOL

Our buying/selling/trading forum is hidden rather than being set up as a teaser. It's open to read for all members with at least one post, and it's open for posting after one month of community membership. We want people to be able to get the feel of the forum before they're allowed to do any trading.

"Votes" is an error in the interface. My theory is that a sequence like this occurred:
[list=1][*] When kudos were changed to points, developers missed the Reading Restrictions area.[*] support.yuku.com used Edit Labels to display "Points" as "Votes."[*]When the omission in the Reading Restrictions area was discovered, the developer used what he saw at support.yuku.com (votes) rather than the default used across the system (points).[/list]

TY SO Much for clarifying me....I always ignored those "teaser thingies" LOL