Problem Restoring Topics and Posts

Author Comment

If you decide that you want to restore a thread or post and then you go to the log and click "restore" and nothing happens.

Where does the restored thread/post go? Can it really be restored?

Admin

I presume you attempted to restore fairly quickly after deleting in order for this to happen. The thread/post can get kind of lost due to a caching issue. Unless something has changed, it can be restored still but it needs to be deleted again, a period of time left (half an hour to be safe) and then restored. How do you do that? You need to manipulate URLs in order to do both. What you need to find is the topic/post ID.

If say more than 20 mins elapsed between deletion and restoration, then something is wrong. Still attempt to find the topic ID and see if you can actually find that topic somewhere (the quickest way is by manipulating a topic URL).

If you really cannot find it, I would report it. The topic may not be that important but the fact it is in limbo is an issue.

Nothing actually goes anywhere. Upon deletion, a "flag" is set in the database, marking the topic for deletion and it disappears from view. It has never been known - although it may well have happened - that "deleted" content has every actually been deleted. This is similar to how hiding a post works, except nobody can see it.

whew. well i did not try any restore today. this was yesterday and
i am assuming that after that deletion, the boards forums were changed so, where would that deleted thread be able to be restored to.
again i messed up and to find it through the url is beyond my brain power.
i need for someone else to do this. its a long story as to what and why and I'd rather not discuss it here.
as you say it is not lost but my brain is.
i just needed to maybe get an idea of what was happening with the restore.
thank you for that.

Admin

So, you mean the category/forum was deleted too? That should have been restored first. The topic is likely there, just inaccessible right now.

yes the forum was deleted. the board was being changed to another format and stuff happened and i thought it best for my sanity to try and put it back to the way it was. i have been working on the change for awhile now and just recently deleted what i thought would not be of use any more.

Admin

I think the best way to think is deletion is a final process. In that way, much more caution is exercised before doing anything.

Personally, the only thing I delete is a duplicate post. Oh, I might delete spam after the fact but even then, only if it really matters.

Categories can be recycled. They only need their name changed.

Forums can be recycled. They too only need their names changed.

Archived topics can happily live in an archive forum, which may be invisible.

See? No need to delete anything. Not much need to add anything either. Just re-purpose what you have. Difficult to get in hot water that way. ;)

The history - as best as I can recall - is that since the very early days, "deleting" only "flagged" the items for permanent deletion. Disk space is cheap and there was no urgency to build anything to actually sweep these. James (Ransom) was regularly around the Lobby - as it was then - and often restored accidental deletions for people. People had asked for a feature to restore these and were told that it could not be done. One lunchtime, James was cruising the board as was quite normal and noticed one of these topics. It was him that wrote the small bit of code that enabled restoration from the log pages.

The difficulty with yuku is what is in memory is seldom the same as what is on disk and this can lag. This somewhat hampers the restoration process. This is why if a deletion is made, immediate restoral often fails and it is best to wait (say half an hour).

A post is a part of a topic and a topic is part of a forum and a forum is part of a category and a category is part of the whole board. In order to restore a post, the topic, the forum, the category and the board must all exist. The code that was written was done in his own time on a lunchtime and never took into consideration that higher levels may be deleted too. This is why we always restore in order.

It can get complicated though. One has to carefully search the log to find out exactly what was done.

However, if you never delete anything, you never have a headache! :)

yeah my bad. i really thought the board was over with and i wanted to use it or let someone else use it for what they thought would be a good subject.
also i thought i had copied lots of posts but somehow i lost them.
i guess when your mind is full its time to not touch anything on the computer.
good job that guy did.
hey if you remember right that is what got me in trouble the first time we communicated. i tried a restore and blew the whole board out.
lol funny now but wasnt then.

and thanks ;)

i just tried again to restore a thread. when i click on it, it goes to a blank page and nothing happens.
i have looked over my "moved or deleted" threads and posts and i really don't think its worth any more of my time to try and please those who just want to cause trouble.
but, i thought i would just see what happens with the clicking the restore link. i did get the url .

Admin

Not quite. You PMed me on 06/01/2009, subject line "Hello", message related to smilies. The one you are thinking of was dated 23/07/2009, subject line "Hello".

I delete nothing. :D

Admin

Save that, in case you need it. It may also help find the topic.

Please do not restore any more topics without first restoring the Categories and forums they came from.

"Not quite. You PMed me on 06/01/2009, subject line "Hello", message related to smilies. The one you are thinking of was dated 23/07/2009, subject line "Hello". "

well i may have said hello to you but it was after you somehow helped me by telling me "it was not my fault" maybe you said it in the yuku forum and not directly to me. whatever that is the first i remember of you in the way of really noticing you. of course i saw your posts at the yuku help forum before that.

Admin

I emailed you a copy of that very first one and yes you are correct on how it came about.

Over 80% of your subject lines are "Hello" though! :lol

"Over 80% of your subject lines are "Hello" though! :lol"

are you talking about email or yuku PM?
in yuku all messages start with "Hello".
in email, well if i say hello its because the person who sent me an email had sent me an email saying hello.
i usually put my name and subject matter in the heading.
HELLO MY FRIEND, HELLO, ITS GOOD TO KNOW YOU.LALLALA

Admin

PMs.

"Hello" is only there so people don't send a blank subject line; it can be changed! :lol

i know that :rolleyes

Admin

OK, now I know you know. :)

lets continue for a minute.
there is spam, that i have hidden, can that be deleted without any backlash ?

oh and while i am at it. i did try contact you a few times about the board.
that is why i took it that there was no interest and i was on my own.

Admin

Not received a thing.

Spam should be hidden, reported by ticket, await the offender to be globally banned, then delete. It is important to retain the spam until the spammer is globally banned. Staff cannot ban without evidence.

I C.
well i didn't look today but i think the spam is old.
I'll still bring it to the attention of Yuku and see what they say.

thanks

Admin

Age does not matter. The account could be reused at any time unless globally banned.