Pointer Code

Author Comment

Some members are saying they do not see the large red pointer arrow I have set in my group for their mouse position.

I have it set as a large red arrow because some of our members are not able to see the small indicator arrow.

Yuku Support replied
"Hi Gran, I expect it depends on their browser and also what code you used. Can you post that code here? Also see what browsers the users that cannot see it have.
I see it on a Windows 7 system with Firefox. :)"

Andrew I cannot find the code in Admin skins or in Global HTML...
Any change you can help?

Admin

I'm working purely from memory here. At the end of your blue grey style switcher skin, you should have:
body, a, a:hover {cursor: url(http://cur.cursors-4u.net/cursors/cur-2/cur117.cur), progress;}

Thanks Andrew I was looking in the hummingbird skin
I am seeing the red cursor with Win 7 FF, Chrome and IE
Waiting for member to reply what she is using to see why she cannot see it

Admin

In that skin it is here:
body {
   font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   font-size: 12px;
   color: #000;
   background: #008B8B;
   cursor: url(http://cur.cursors-4u.net/cursors/cur-2/cur117.cur), progress;
}

It need not be a browser issue, it may be a security one.

ok Thanks
What would the security have to be set at for it to not be a security issue.. What does she need to do to fix it (in other words)

Admin

I have no clue what security software she is using. This cannot be resolved by guesswork. Items have to be eliminated, so the cause can be found. Once the cause is found, it may be able to be cured or it may have to be worked around.

At the end of the day though, this is only a cursor. The person concerned will have the same cursor wherever they go (and hence the same difficulty or ease). It is entirely within their control to change their own cursor (for all), should they so desire.

To explain a little, cursors can be exploited and sites that share or host them can be either malicious or potentially malicious. For this reason, it is easy to see that it could potentially be blocked by security software.

The reasons why she does not see a cursor could be many. Start with Operating System, browser & version and security software used and work from there. Test to see if it is a browser based issue by using an alternative browser. If it is not the browser, dig into the security software. If it is the browser, dig into the browser. At the end of the day, if this affects all browsers on her system and it is concluded not to be security software related, the OS needs to be looked at. Even then, it could easily be her ISP blocking a site. On the other hand, it could be something like a DNS hijack. Causes are many! There is no actual detail to work with here.

Andrew you are always so willing to help and so informative. Thank you Much!