Signature

Author Comment

Is it wrong or against the rules to use my yuku groups link as my signature?

Admin

Depends on the board you post on. Many may consider it spamming and some may be quite OK with it.

Thanx Andrew.
It appears that someone wasn't OK with it though.....oh well.

There were no group rules in this particular group telling me not to until I got an email this morning telling me .......
I have noticed that you post on the boards an invite for our members to look and join your group. This is out of order trying to poach and I ask that you will refrain. from doing so again.

For what it's worth, these are the rules we useā€¦

Can I mention my blog or website here?

Brewerfan is glad to hear about your blog or website, under these parameters:

• Feel free to advertise your blog or website in your signature or profile, but keep it tasteful.
  • If you have a blog entry or website content that is relevant to an existing topic, feel free to post a link. However, please include a synopsis of your content and indicate its relevance to the discussion.
  • An occasional new thread regarding your blog or website is fine. Repeated new threads will be deemed as spamming.

"Website" would include message boards. We're not particularly worried about the fact that our members may spend time elsewhere. Our rules exist mainly because our members get annoyed if someone promotes his site over and over.

Thank you casey for your reply.
I don't have any rules in my group,(maybe if it was a psp group offering tags etc without copyright I would have rules).

I have never even thought about putting group rules in my group to be honest, I have no need really.
All of my members came from the old msn groups.
I don't appreciate someone telling me I can't post my URL in a group where I have been trying help with their postings.

I was upset to be told I was poaching.
I would never poach members from another group, I have no need to poach.
I have lovely members who have been with me for 7 years now.

There's a big difference between mentioning something and poaching. When you poach, you take members away completely. We're happy to hear about other good message boards and are glad to help make our members aware of them.

For us, Twitter is probably a bigger competitor than any message board. Given that we follow a sports team, we have an in-game thread every day the Milwaukee Brewers play. Tweeting is really well suited to in-game conversation. So we roll with the punches and go with the flow. Our board has a Twitter account, and several of our moderators tweet on our behalf.

It's nice not to need rules. :) We have situations now and again that need attention; the rules help us maintain order.

We only have one non-violable rule: no bigotry ~ and we have a dedicated forum for members to use to promote their own groups ~ but we don't work up a hissy fit if someone mentions their group[s] elsewhere in our group ~ we only had 1 member ever use a signature link to promote his forum and he eliminated the mention when others members publicly complained it was it "distracting" ~ [Andrew, wanna guess WHO? ~ :P ] ~ we don't feel "challenged" by someone mentioning another group ~

Sooz

Admin

Sign of an insecure Owner/Admin/Mod. Usually that type of group is failing anyway. You're deemed to be a threat (and silently blamed for their loss of members).

You should reconsider if you really want to assist a group, which is destined to <insert your own word>.

Sounds like someone from the West coast Sooz. I wonder who???

Personally, my concern is "other". I encourage people to post a link to where an issue can be seen. I disallow signatures in the help forums as these are often just a distraction. My concern is that of SEO. If I have a forum about cars and people post signatures (count how many that could be on a page) to boats, planes, cats and dogs within these topics. First, your pagerank drains to irrelevant content, so you drop lower in search results and then your content becomes weighted for other keywords, other than those really relevant. Result: you get the wrong visitors (if they even find your site now).

Boards have the ability to control whether people can show a signature or not. Here, it is granular (per member group, individual and forum). On yuku, it is just by individual or the whole board. That person could just have turned off your signature. Alternatively, links could be hidden in signatures, if "poaching" (<- they always use that word!) is their issue. Images can be tamed. Text can be resized or recolored (making opaque is best). Loads of options in the hands of the Owner/Admin, should they so choose...

Thank you all for the comments.
I am no longer a member in that particular group now, time to move on if a poacher is all can been seen of me, it wasn't worth my time or effort posting there any longer.

Admin

Nope. It may hurt a bit but the best decision in the end. The sooner you move on, the better.

Such foolishness. Group owners do not own their members!
In SGS we encourage members and visitors
"Traveling' to other groups will help them to find the one best suited to their needs.
I believe some groups don't like signatures because some are so big and distracting from the subject posted in the message thread.
many groups owners don't know how to set the group settings to allow signatures where they are ok to show.