Unbelievable slowness

Author Comment

just curious..am I the only one who has slowness problem today??Image

I'm pretty  slow most mornings LE......LOL.  Seriously, though, I'm not having any problems with Yuku loading slow today.  It seems to come and go for me at times..and some boards are slower than others that I visit....but I visit a large number of boards in a day.  I have noticed that ones with lots and lots of graphics seem to load slower than others....

Admin

I've just come on and it seems OK.

Your board has a nice 'fast' skin on it and has little image useage and only one script.

[fl1-20 cdb12@79427] Your board is on the same server as here.

I'm not sure if you have "all posts using current avatar" checked or not. Unchecking this can help loading particularly topic pages.

Admin > Community Settings > Display Preferences (Don't forget to press "Submit")

Apart from that, not much else we can do. If it gets really bad, you may want to submit a ticket.

all boards load slow for me today, even yours! ...and that's not all..I can't post videos or links either
..but like I said, I was only curious if I was the only one having this problem today, I'm not here hopping to find a solution....
I thought if I was the only one I'd better scan for virusesImage

Admin

Always a good idea. LOL Actually, especially so at this time of year.

It could be a number of things. Anything eliminated will help find the cause ... then you know what will happen? It'll get better. Image

All ok with me also, my boards and here are loading fine...

A few places were slow for me too today, all around 10ish morning my time.  Been fast ever since.
I had the crickets show up once today...silly green crickets.Image

Sorry Andrew, I didn't realize you reply to my post!...anyway I'm not sure why everything was slow but all seems fine nowImage

Admin

That's usually the way. Image

I'll expand a little on what I said about viruses and malware being exceptional at this time of year.

A great many viruses and malware are spread through bad adverts. Most advertising agents do check submitted adverts and are quite responsible however, this is somewhat of a manual process. It requires human intervention. On weekends, these agents have less staff. On holidays, these agents have less staff. It becomes easier for an advertiser to submit a bad advert into the automatic submission process and have it published. The chances are that it will not be taken down until the end of the weekend or vacation.

This time of year is one of the busiest on the Internet. Cold weather and vacations. The bigger the target audience, the more a malvertiser wants to make sure they get these published.

So, be prepared for next weekend and the New Year vacation. Make sure your antivirus is up to date and running. If you don't have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, get it and update it. No need to pay, the free version does the job just fine. If you suspect anything or at the end of the day before you turn off, run it. The quick scan is usually sufficient and might take around 5 minutes.

Safe surfing and happy holidays!

Andrew, you are so right about this.
Just tonight I received 6 spam in my inbox that looked like Yuku had sent them to posts I had subscribed to.
They are out like vultures. 

I very seldom receive spam in my inbox, not my inbox on Yuku but the addy I have for replies on my subscribed topics in Yuku Groups.
Scary to even open our mailbox.Image

Admin

I just hit a dead spell. My inbox, registered users boards and even here.

Would l need Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, as well as Norton please?

Depends on the O/S and version of Norton you are using, if you are using wins7 with the latest Norton (I am on my lap) it's advised not to use other programs as they can clash and cause you problems. I myself don't use other programs as Norton and Kaspersky are both running a heated battle for being the Supremo and I have both of them and haven't as yet had any problems.

Check with Norton's site see what they have to say.

actually Sunday/Monday my time, is slow everywhere in yuku for me..  it's been real bad over the Christmas period. If a page doesn't load after 8 secs I'm out of there.

I got rid of Nortons around 3 years ago and it has been way quicker.

aussiepom wrote:Depends on the O/S and version of Norton you are using, if you are using wins7 with the latest Norton (I am on my lap) it's advised not to use other programs as they can clash and cause you problems. I myself don't use other programs as Norton and Kaspersky are both running a heated battle for being the Supremo and I have both of them and haven't as yet had any problems.

Check with Norton's site see what they have to say.
Thank you, Aussiepom. I think l'm okay.

Admin

No security software is 100% effective. If memory serves me correctly Norton is one of the best at catching 97% of the nasties. It has also improved dramatically in the last three years and even works on slower machines now without a lot of impact. They achieve this by making a cache of files already checked and basically do not recheck it unless the file does not match the fingerprint of the one in cache. Within a few days, most files will have been checked and it will be at optimum.

So, that leaves 3% that Norton hasn't caught. What about them?

It is absolutely true, you should never run multiple security software together. It's like setting up a fight! LOL

However, Malwarebytes can be used just to run a scan and not be set to run and protect all the time. This is all you need and there will be no conflict. As this is exactly what the free version does, there is no need for the paid version as you will not be having it running in the background.

Running this from time to time or as needed has now increased your security to near 100% as they detect things in different ways. Paranoid? Get a third utility. LOL

If you don't want to take my word for it, please go and read the Norton forums. It's been a while since I last looked but you will find MBAM suggested and recommended there many times and even by staff.

Admin

Just took 2-3 minutes to post a reply.

I had that too Andrew and left but seems better now. I wonder how they will handle 'tickets' when we all are having problems at same time.

Admin

Checkboxes spring to mind, Red. Along with "reply to all". LOL

I'm just logging things here against the time they happen. I'm also keeping an eye on the backup time. You will see both my posts were around 5am PST and the backup was done at 4:30am PST. If I find a pattern, I can detail it and then maybe a cause can be found.

andrew wrote:Checkboxes spring to mind, Red. Along with "reply to all". LOL
I see we still have our sense of humour.Image

I'm just logging things here against the time they happen. I'm also keeping an eye on the backup time. You will see both my posts were around 5am PST and the backup was done at 4:30am PST. If I find a pattern, I can detail it and then maybe a cause can be found.
Good thinking there.