Andrew/Casey...help please

Author Comment

Yesterday i picked up the Antivirus 8 virus...its taken us all night to get rid of it and i dont think we've totally got rid...i cant open IE or internet options from Control panel and i cant do a system restore...is there anything else i can do...ive run Malwarebytes tons of time and also in safe mode and there is nothing to be found, i also have in task manager over a 100 processes running with stuff i have never seen before.
I am also getting hki384.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience. and the same with nY8bmL8U.exe too....HELP

Admin

100 processes? It looks like you might have your work cut out for you.

Some of these viruses will try to prevent you downloading software to remove them. A good place to start would be:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If that page will open for you and you can run an online scan, please do it. It takes a while, especially the first time as it has to download many files to your PC.

I wouldn't worry about a virus encountering a problem. It means you have already given it a headache.

By rights, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should be capable of removing this BUT it would either need to have been installed prior to infection or downloaded to another PC and renamed before installing on the infected one.

Do NOT turn your PC off, unless either MalwareBytes or some other trusted security software tells you to. Do NOT allow it to access the Internet, other than for the purpose of running an online scan.

These error messages will most likely have to be resolved by manually editing the registry.

Can you tell us please what security software you are using? I hit a bad website with that on it a couple of days ago and Avira prevented it.

Oooops, i turned it off...its just gone mad Andrew...Mike is going to re-formatt...i cant access anything at all, i have millions and trillions of pop-ups, blue pages, boxes of stuff.... :(

Admin

Sounds like a good option, Jayne. I hope you had your data backed-up.

What operating system will be used when you reformat? Just a thought because things can hide themselves on the hard drive and mark the cluster as bad (thereby protecting itself). Vista has a way of rechecking these and reinstating if the cluster is good but XP does not and a 3rd party utility would be required. Probably just me being over-cautious but it does sound like a bad one.

It will be XP as i dont want to touch Vista as you cant use paint shop pro with it...what do you suggest as a 3rd party utility?

Admin

Gah! I use HDD Regenerator but SpinRite would also do it. Both cost money.

I had a quick look but haven't found anything free.

If you do have a Vista or Win7 disk, you might be able to run chkdsk /b from that. You should be able to do that from the Windows Recovery Environment and be able to skip the install.

Maybe someone else will know or I will find something later.

Ok...sorry Andrew but no clue what you are saying...chkdsk/b ?we dont have a disk, well we used an xp disc..is that what you mean...

Admin

What I was saying was if you did have any old Vista or Windows7 disk lying about, you should have been able to boot your PC from that and enter the Windows Recovery Environment, choose Command Prompt and type the command "chkdsk /b". Once that had run, you could then install XP.

Symantec, Norton, general information on Virus tells you how to get rid of most of them....they have a list of them all and the things you need to do to get rid of it or them.....check up their site....you don't have to have Norton Antivirus software to check their website. They always have good information on all viruses, worms, Trojans and etc.

Good luck Jayne.  I hope you do get rid of the nasty virus.

I have an on-line site I use when I get nasties.
It leads you step-by-step how to get rid of any malware you might have.
I haven't had to use it alot but when I have it has worked like a charm.Image
Although this does sound like a nasty one that Jayne got.

Good luck Jayne!!

Bless you Jayne.  I have been there and done that.  I have a group I have worked with for many years.  They are a computer help group dedicated to keeping computers running trouble free forever.  I swear by them.  They are fantastic at helping you to rid your machine of malware.  If you cannot reach them on your infected machine, use your laptop or a friends computer.  Be specific about your problems and let them know that you are contacting them on a different machine.  If you feel like a novice, as I am, tell them to be very specific in their instructions to you.  Here's the URL for the site.  They are fabulous and if you can reach them, I feel sure they can help you:  http://www.community-feedback.com/

I second the Queen's advice.  I discovered them back when I was still on MSN (and so were they) and they were super helpful with some tech problems I had.

Thanks Laffin.  I think they are great.

Jayne, what a nightmare. I hope you get it sorted soon.

I use Community Feedback all the time when I can't do something....marvelous place, I'd recommend them highly to anyone for help.

Ty, ive been over for a read...very informative i must say Image

So glad to see you Jayne.  Glad you have dropped in and looked around.  I promise you they will stick with you until your problems are resolved.  Good luck, m'lady.