Smilies and similar

Author Comment

lets say i see a whole post of smiiies i would like to copy to my computer.
do i have to copy one at a time?

Admin

No.

Most browsers will save the page if you press Ctrl+S at the same time on your keyboard (otherwise in the file menu). When you save, choose "Webpage complete". Direct it to save this on your desktop. You will find two items on your desktop now: a file and a folder. The images will be in the folder. There will be extraneous files in there too as well as a few images you do not want. Just delete these. (Sort by type will help.) Then COPY that folder and paste it on the desktop again. You should now safely be able to delete the original file and folder. (The copy is a precaution because they may want to delete together.)

Now you have a folder full of images to play with. :)

thank you.
but, of course i screwed it up.
i did the control s, it went to downloads, i opened the folder and it had the whole page. i looked at the list of what to do with it all as in delete , send to, and whatever. there was no "Webpage complete".
this is beyond my brain.
lets look at it this way, if i copy the images and paste them at another forum/board and do not save them to my computer , will i have a problem in the future where these images will not be displayed?
i guess by way of the original poster deletes their images/smilies.
it looks like its called hot linking. is that a no no?

:eek :o 8o :x ;D :\ :P

Admin

It sounds like you tried to do things in the wrong order.

Hotlinking is contentious. Really, it is wrong to do it without permission but few would take issue if you made a private copy just for your own use. e.g. if you were to save a rich copy to a private forum. Then, as you say, the Owner could move or delete them and you have no way back.

Here is another method for Firefox.

1. Open the page with the images you want.
  2. Tools > Page Info > Media
  3. Use Shift or Ctrl plus left click to select the images you wish (or Ctrl+A to select all).
  4. Press "Save As".
  5. Direct the download to a place of your choice.
  6. Press "Save".

The task of saving images one by one may seem more daunting than it really is. I could probably save 20 a minute just doing them one by one. It's just tedious.

It really cannot be all that bad because after all, someone did post them on a one by one basis.

well, as much as i try to follow your directions, i just can't get it to work for me.
i guess i will be saving one by one.

thank you for your fast replies