A little confusion over Joined Date and Posted Date!

Author Comment

Don't mind me I am just a bit confused. I keep looking at the date under the avatars and they all seemed to be outdated, until I noticed they are the dates people joined. that date really stands out and the date of the posts are in itty bitty text and not as easily seen.

At my age it does not take much to get me confused... Like the old joke...when I have to get down on the floor for something I think hard whether there is something else I need to do down there before getting back up again.

0]

Admin

I agree with you Pearl and I was thinking about that earlier.

Not even really sure the joined date is necessary there. Might be an idea to remove that and try and get the post date and time sitting nicely in there. Join date is on member list and in profile anyway.

It's not like the old place does it, but the current location of the post date makes sense. The lefthand box is member information. Thinking logically, the date belongs to the post and doesn't have a thing to do with describing the member.

Admin

I came back to this and the trouble is that the date and time is all as one and depending on how people have their choice of format set, its going to be difficult to make it sit there.

Maybe just removing the joined date would be the way to go?

We've eliminated the join date on our boards.

We also have the post date right under the post title.

Admin

That doesn't look too bad!

I see you have also dropped the Post Subject language. I think the Posted (time) language could be dropped too? Thoughts?

I like the Post (time) language as it shows at a glance what that time refers to

On other boards this info is in a variety of places and one has to waste brain power, even a milliseconds worth :) , working it out

I agree about the join date, it's of little relevance.

As an aside, the board is running very slowly at the moment. Typical response to a button press is around 10-15 secs - just checked other forums and they are all at around 1-2 secs as normal.

paul4

Admin

paul4 wrote:I like the Post (time) language as it shows at a glance what that time refers to

Agreed but what if it was the only time present?
paul4 wrote:On other boards this info is in a variety of places and one has to waste brain power, even a milliseconds worth :) , working it out

I need to add an applause emote! I agree 100%. Things should be at (an easy) glance.

Then see earlier response about dropping the Posted (time) language. It may not be necessary and clutter with more verbiage.

Not saying, just thinking out loud here. Of course no reason why I cannot do a bit at a time. First to go will be the joined date. Then I move and rearrange. That will let us see if that could be dispensed with.

andrew wrote:
paul4 wrote:I like the Post (time) language as it shows at a glance what that time refers to

Agreed but what if it was the only time present?

Do you mean without the date? If so I'd say no.

Admin

I mean:

Posted: 2/09/13 10:09:46
becomes:
2/09/13 10:09:46

Then no (my opinion) - it is just, at a glance, a series of numbers and the brain has to sort it

At a glance (seconds are not needed)
Posted: 09/2/13 10:09

or supressing the leading zero in both places

Posted: 9/2/13 10:09

or better still

Posted: 9 Feb 13, 10:09

Admin

Ah!

You do realize the time format is a user setting? ucp.php?i=174

Yes I do. I just checked other boards and settings are inconsistent - I had to have UTC-1 Azores Time set in my UCP on one board for the displayed time to be right, where the Board setting is UTC Greenwich

It seems that the Daylight Savings setting has a bearing - pretty obvious really :o

But this is just another aside.

Posted: 9 Feb 13, 10:09 for me :)

btw. response time back to normal. I have no idea why the board was so slow earlier, no scripts or anything were running to my knowledge.

Admin

j M y, G:i (24 hour)

j M y, g:i A (12 hour) (Change the "a" to lowercase for the lowercase format)

(Wasn't just me then. Got a server check done and no report back, so assume it was restarted.)

All what you did about all what we spoke about (dates, layout etc) looks good :)

Admin

I agree. I did have the date/time there without the "Posted: " but it looked naff. Looks better than I thought with that in.

I'm unsure on the read/unread image position and wonder if that would be better following the subject.

Just not so keen on the larger poster-name cell. Guess I will get used to that.

Wondered about the post number being too high but it looks OK to me in the top corner.

I see you have also dropped the Post Subject language. I think the Posted (time) language could be dropped too? Thoughts?

The post-subject info is removed under some circumstances, but not others, depending on how one posts the message. I don't think it was intended that way, but that's how it worked out. :)

Actually, I'd like to put it all back sometime so the subject would be included on all posts. (More accurately put, on all posts moving forward; I wouldn't expect it to appear retroactively on old messages).

The problem is that the post-level subject line is necessary in other parts of the interface. I don't remember where offhand, but one spot is in the administrative controls. I think searches may be another. I didn't discover these issues until a few months after we decided to remove the subject line.

The initial reason for removal was looks. I was thinking that the styling from the old place would carry over, and that it would have been obnoxious to constantly repeat the same information in big bold text. However, the styling here is compact, neat, and clean, so looks aren't an issue.

All it needed for me was to elimiate the joined date. As it view right now, the post date is beautiful exactly where it is. Now I am less confused. Thanks so much for making viewing at a glance far better in my opinion.
Thanks Andrew and everyone who volunteered opinions.
I do hope all are happy now. I am. :D
I have my date for posts showing as my preferences in my profile.
That seems to be a good choice that we do have that and choose what we are familiar with and pleases us individually.

Admin

Pearl, you missed out when yuku was being built but that is the way things were done. All was from Member input and discussion. When that ended, that was the beginning of the slippery slope. You arrived in the middle of that. i.e. still on a high but beginning to hit the slope.

At the end, we have something that works well for all, so thank you for bringing it up and everyone for their input.

Pearl and I arrived pretty much in the same time frame. Yuku did seem on a high right then and very anxious to help and please the members, then came the slide down that slippery slope.

Thanks for the invite, Andrew. I just checked that email address tonight. Had not checked it in a few days.