Hot topic icon

Author Comment

May I very respectfully ask that the "hot topic" icon is removed? I hate hot topic icons with a passion ..... well not to want it to sound such a drama, I just don't see the need as I can see a hot topic by the number of replies Image , and on a member support board so many will be "hot" Image  and the little critters just clutter the place up Image

thanks
paul4

ps. Here's Image if you'd rather use it on me

Admin

I'm not that keen on it myself. Let's see what others have to say over the next 24 hours.

I don't like the hot topic icon here at all ....so if you wish to toss it, no problem for me. I really do think that new message icon is all that is really needed. 

I'm generally not a fan of either "hot topic" or "no new messages" icons. I'd suggest losing them for the sake of simplicity.

In the case of the particular hot topic icons in this skin, I think they confuse the user more than they help.

Having said all that, I've seen "hot topic" and "no new messages" icons that are very well designed and integrate with each other well. I'm not against their use under those circumstances.

Admin

I'll up the threshold for now. Keep up the feedback.

I'm ambivalent about hot topic icons as well.
I agree with Paul that by looking at the number of posts you can tell if it's hot or not.

I don't care one way or the other.  Whatever you decide is fine with me.

Being as nosy as I am, I'm going to read it whether it is designated a hot topic or not if it is designated as having a new reply in it. So I think the hot topic icon is redundant.  I've been thinking about taking them off my board, just never got a "round tuit".

Admin

Here you go, BW.  Image

Thank You Andrew!  I am now going to have to get to work.......no more excuses.......sigh.

Admin

Pleased to assist. Image

You can always call in Robin to help. Just don't expect him to find his way round.  Image

Robin: "Catwoman mentioned an assault on Mount Gotham."
Batman: "But where is Mount Gotham?"
Robin: "I don't know... Holy Alps! I'd better brush up on my geography!"

I tried to make that boy stay in school, but he was into dressing up in tights and riding in fast cars.  Strange young man.

I hate the icons too...mine are disabled in my group

I agree with Paul. It's confusing as I always look for the new button and the hot topic icon is not necessary.

Hot topic icons eh? Where are they? sounds like a job for me

Admin

Well, today they go. I'm not sure that I understand the purpose in them. What is hot to one person is not to another. Hot also doesn't have a lot to do with post count, yet that is the way it works. Besides, the icons were not that wonderful.

So .... off with the grenade. Thanks Paul!

Thanks Andrew. 

Thanks Andrew Image

Thanks Andrew Image

Good decision everyone.  I agree, thanks Andrew.
I have never used the hot topic icon in my group.