IE 11

Author Comment

IE 11
What do you know about IE 11 for windows 7
A SGS member is asking ;) Nope not me :P

Admin

Re: IE
Forget it for use on yuku as there are bugs. Otherwise it is promising but like most things M$, best to wait a while and get the biggest issues ironed out first.

OK I will forward message... this person cannot get on IE at all now and she says she never did the install

Admin

Oh the joys! I struggled with Windows Update myself a few days ago on a clean install.

Maybe a reboot will resolve her issue. Failing that, maybe try uninstalling IE (assuming this is not Win8) and then reinstall IE10. (It will revert to the previous version upon uninstall.)

Ok will do Thanks

Forget it for use on yuku as there are bugs.

IE bugs or Yuku bugs?

Admin

Compatibility issues between the two. Some features don't work in regular mode and when put in compatibility mode they still don't work and the pages may not load properly.

She got a techie from the place she bought her PC to come today to try to solve her problem

Admin

Hope it doesn't cost her money!

I'm on Win7 and updated to IE11 a week or so ago ~ no problems ... so far ~ it's VERY slick and VERY fast ~ I know many [Andrew included] with far more tech experience and knowledge than me really dislike IE, but it has always felt more intuitive to me ~

Sooz

Admin

No, IE10+ is a major improvement, it's use just carries a few extra risks, which can be mitigated a lot by using something like SpyBot Search & Destroy's "Immunise" feature (recommended for everyone) and AdBlock Plus for IE.

I added the Adblock! Wow that does make a difference! thanks so much
She had to pay for a house call cause she is disabled.. $75

I added the Adblock to my PC not hers... Chatty lives in the city not near to me
Is malwarebytes or super antispyware programs as good as Spybot?

Admin

Gran, in your situation, that will greatly improve your speed. Adverts are not hidden, they are never downloaded, which means you get more bandwidth for the stuff you want.

Not good on the call-out charge. M$ should be picking up these bills for buggy software.

-----

They are all different animals. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an essential for cure, whereas SpyBot is not as good as it used to be but does include excellent methods of passive protection. (This too will improve your speed.) There is no need to use SpyBot for its main purpose as MBAM is much better. Worth hanging on to though as a secondary line of defense and maybe to update the immunization once in a while. Just be sure not to install browser helpers, tea-timers, etc. with SpyBot. Just a really basic install. Update it and immunize. Put it away and forget about it for a month or three. Oh, and be careful of the download. You want the free version and no trials or whatever they try and offer you. This is the one you want: http://www.securitywonks.net/listing/view/7584/spybot-av-22

Even if you uninstall it, you will be left protected but as I said, it is worth just tucking it away and forgetting about it for a month or three.

The immunize feature uses features built in to all the browsers that you have on your system as well as your hosts file, to effectively block a blacklist of sites, so if you ever run across one you can never be harmed. No additional software running, so no conflict and very fast. Again, that which is blocked, gives you spare bandwidth to put to better use. Don't worry, it will not block any sites that you may choose to use. It may block bad advertising sites. Attack sites (in case your browser gets redirected there for whatever reason). Real proven nasties.

Add another browser, no problem! Just update the signatures and reimmunize.

:( I get a corrupt file .. tried 2 times. Using FF

Admin

found one that worked Thanks Andrew!

Admin

It doesn't say this but a reboot after immunize will actually ensure full immunization. You're fairly well covered without but the hosts file modifications will not be fully effective until your DNS cache is cleared and the simplest way to do this is reboot.

It may be an idea to update and repeat the process just before Christmas. Holiday seasons are the worst for malware spreading.

Ok Thanks

Admin

You're welcome. :)

Now, off you go and serve and protect! ;) Oh, and enjoy the speed increases too. ;)