FireFox Crashed

Author Comment

well that was scary. i was in the middle of something and a message came up to tell me that firefox crashed. it said something like send a message to them or microsoft. i'm not sure as all i did was click on the start firefox choice.
something seems fishy.
anyone else have a problem with FF?

Admin

I think all browsers still crash, though a lot less than they used to. It usually happens either when you are in the middle of something or just tried to open something new.

Although rare - and I am very demanding on a browser - I had noticed Firefox crashing more frequently of recent.

thanks

Admin

You're welcome. :)

Andrew its okay if you don't want to try it.
every time i try and go to this site> eck. it won't paste.
anyway every time i try and go to a certain site FF crashes.
i just wonder if its the site or my computer.
i'll try and get the url.
here it is.
s12.invisionfree.com/tinnitus_support/index.php

i never had a problem with it before.

Admin

That is exactly what happened to me the last two crashes. Always the same sites and it always wanted to crash. Absolutely nothing wrong with the sites, in fact just like InvisionFree, the sites were very lean. I certainly thought it unusual BUT I do know that my machine was very exhausted of resources. I visited the URL you posted and no crash but I would not have expected it to. The site is marked as closed though and I only got a login screen.

There is much I like about FireFox 26 but there are a few niggles I have with it too. The trouble is that I cannot quite put these things into words! This could well relate to a combination factor of FireFox and XP or FireFox and a machine low on resources.

I don't have an answer but I will do some Googling and see what I can find. Before you mentioned anything, I just assumed it was my particular circumstances.

ahh, i see or not but i am glad you understand what i am talking about.
thanks for going to look into it.
thing is i wonder if me downloading the malwarebytes again had anything to do with it or something with my anti virus.
it did say something today about some kind of add on and i allowed it.

Admin

I wouldn't have thought it would relate to MBAM. There is a possibility it could be related to your AV because it wants to scan everything before it lets it do anything. I just checked my settings and yes you could be onto something there (not that we use the same AV). Other machines I have configured differently but this one is how I thought it was.

The addon without your knowledge is somewhat concerning. I suggest you try and find out what that was. I usually err the other way and do not allow anything unless I specifically asked for it. However, I manage all my updates manually.

You'll probably be fine again after a reboot ... for a while.

Whether this will help or not, I have no idea. But sometimes it can't hurt to try.
I have been running into problems with FF "not responding" on certain sites. What I have found is I have to reset FF and then all is fine. It's a very simple procedure and doesn't bother any of your bookmarks, history and so on.
If you want to try, click on the ff button ... click on help ... click on troubleshooting info and up in the right hand corner there is a "reset ff" button. Just click it and it does all the work.

Good Luck!! i've had no problems with ff crashing.

thanks Auntiem, i have not tried your suggestion yet.

i came across this information and i would like to know what you
all think of it.
as for updating Trend Micro. i just did that at the beginning of the year. if its more money then i won't renew it again.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=960556

Admin

Certainly worth waiting for Firefox 27 as that could well work around the issue somehow. (Anytime soon.)

As XP expires in April, it was not really worth investing in Trend Micro.

Fingers crossed!

yeah i just thought i'd better renew with trend this year.
i have no idea what i am going to do about the XP expiring.
what's your recommendation of computers to buy?

i'll wait out this crashing stuff. so far its only that one site.
i had forgot to tell you it is me who put that the site is closed. i did it because all the members there went elsewhere and no one has posted in years. except for me trying to keep another board open for the memories.

Admin

If it were me, I would have opted for a free alternative. Not really worth paying a year's subscription for only 3 months.

I really would not "recommend" a computer. This comes down to what is required of a machine. Macs are becoming lower priced, so these should be considered. If you only ever use a computer for online use, consider a ChromeBook. If you would feel lost without the security blanket of Windows, look for a Windows 7 machine (or one that will let you downgrade). It does come down to your use though.

I hear you on the memories but sometimes we just have to look after the store, when nobody is buying. So long as we have the keys, it is safer and easier if the doors are locked.

If you want to continue using your computer, you could consider Linux Mint. I reckon this would be more than capable of giving you what you need. You may prefer to get someone else to backup your files, install it for you and restore your files to it though. Otherwise, the Operating System is free as are most of the packages for it. You should find its use quite similar to XP.

Firefox 27 should be due this week. Certainly worth waiting for.

that sounds like good advice.
sure i would like to continue using this computer. no reason to change unless i have to. i looked at the "linux mint". i don't understand it as i don't understand much about computers. but i will look into it.
i do have someone, (i hope) who will be able to help me with back up files and stuff.
thank you

Admin

Next time you see Maggie, chew it over with her. There are two options: Dual boot and simple replace.

Dual boot would allow both systems to operate by your choice. This would be great for right now, while you get used to things. Sometimes though, there may not be enough disk space to do this.

Swapping XP for Linux can be left for a while and you never know, M$ just may give in and continue supporting XP for another year. You'd be jumping in with both feet then but that may not be such a big issue as you may fear.

You see? I suspect you mostly use your machine for the Internet. You use Firefox for that and not the Operating System. Firefox runs great on Linux. In fact, it is pre-installed.

Linux is fairly secure in its own right and you would not need to bother about Trend Micro or anything like that. This gives you more compute power. No annoying malware to deal with either. Things generally "just work".

I forgot. Your machine is newer than XP and may be a suitable candidate for upgrade to Windows 7 but I would recommend a wipe and clean install rather than choosing an upgrade path. Maggie will be able to advise there from your hardware specs.

At the end of the day though, if you do not need Windows, why bother? Linux will most likely do what you need. Again, Maggie can help and advise here by looking at what programs you actually use.

yes maggie it will be :) i hope to see her soon, that is if the snow goes away and also if i get the chance to ask the question. if not then i will do it over the phone or email.
thanks for the details.
as for what i use the computer for. i would say normal use. what else is there?
message boards, emails, financial sites, games (at times), check weather, read news, maybe google some stuff.
is there more to do?

Admin

Hahahaha! Oh yes!

Just as I said, you do all that with Firefox. Can you name one other program that you use?

umm what exactly does "program" mean.
i use chrome google once in a while. as you know i do not have IE.

Admin

Stuff you install to do things.

Write letters? Do accounts? Work with graphics? Instant Messenger? Listen to music? Calendar/diary? Games you can play without being connected to the Internet? Drawing applications? Save email to your actual computer, so you can read and write offline? Dictionary? Calculator? Video editing? The list goes into thousands!

andrew wrote:Stuff you install to do things.

Write letters? as in word pad?yes.
Do accounts? bank accounts? yes some.
Work with graphics? nope but i would like to one day.
Instant Messenger? no one there.
Listen to music? only from youtube.
Calendar/diary? nope.
Games you can play without being connected to the Internet? yeah i do the solitaire and spider solitaire but thats all.
Drawing applications? nope.
Save email to your actual computer, so you can read and write offline? No.
Dictionary? No.
Calculator? NO.
Video editing? NO.
The list goes into thousands!
:eek