FireFox Crashed

Author Comment

Admin

WordPad doesn't count by today's standards. Screenshot of Writer

Online banking doesn't count because you use Firefox to do that. People either use a spreadsheet like Calc or a fully fledged application like Sage.

IM: Pidgin

Youtube is watched in a browser (Firefox)

Solitaire (actually called Klondike) Spider is included among the 80 similar games.

Above all, all are free.

yay then i am good to go :)

Admin

That's what I thought and also why even a Chromebook may work for you.
The old machine gets revitalised and will run nearly twice as fast. It'll do for a while yet.

do i need a wifi to have a chromebook work for me?

Admin

Yes you would but presumably you have that?

nope i do not have it. i know i am way behind times.
i've done fine for 13 years on the net without needing more than i have.
of course its 3 different computers with in that time and 2 dif. servers, i think you call them. CS and Verizon.
sorry i just have not had the need to have all that stuff where if you don't have it you feel lost.
i just learned how to text and i do not pay extra for it, i use my trac phone.

Admin

Nothing wrong with that. I have WiFi and choose not to have it on.

ISP = Internet Service Provider

CompuServe was probably dial-up and Verizon probably supplied you with a router. If you are just using a USB modem, there will likely be issues, no matter what you try to connect to it these days. In short: you need to find out what it is that is plugged in to both your phone line and your computer. Name and model number would be best.

I don't use text much these days. I did when it was new though.

i would say i have a USB modem only.
yeah i need a wifi and had one for xmas but returned it. long story.

oh i forgot to mention FF crashed this morning and it wasnt because i tried that site.
i expect this all to be worked out soon on their side.

Admin

LOL

If you do just have a USB modem, these are not really used these days and give inferior performance. There is every likelyhood that drivers for a more modern operating system just do not exist. Verizon may upgrade you for free or a nominal fee. Worth checking out first.

Yeah, if that is your issue, I hope the upgrade this week resolves it. I was hoping for an easy resolution and that might just be it.

i'll check verizon out. they always want to sell you something extra.

Do all Chromebooks lack Ethernet connectors? Or would a USB to Ethernet adapter serve Sally's purposes for being able to connect?

Admin

I think some do. The difficulty is how does she run the software necessary to drive and connect using a USB modem?

Besides, she wants to be able to sneak off with it. ;)

I missed out on the USB modem part. Yeah, those are obsolete except in cases where dial-up is the only option.

It's easy and cheap to have WiFi. Plus, you don't need any software to connect. The only software that might (or might not) be necessary is setup software for the WiFi device. And that only has to be installed on a single computer.

Admin

Her consultant may be able to supply one. People change them all the time. ISPs supply them and they change ISP or get a superior device. There are many floating around. I have 4 immediate swaps to hand, all configured and ready to roll (custom network). I have another few I could get running if I chose. They can be picked up on eBay or even FreeCycle. Setting one up though is not for the novice and especially if they only have a single means of Internet access.

update, i got onto the site i tried the other day. ff did not crash.
fingers crossed.

one more thing
i do have a wifi. duh
i ordered a laptop too.

Admin

Glad to hear the issue appears to be resolved.

I think perhaps anything non-Windows may be out of your tech's comfort zone.

What I have been trying to say is that you do not need Windows because you do not really take advantage of anything it has to offer other than built-in games. Then if you do not use Windows, you are not as prone to malware, hence no resource hogging security software. If you do not have Windows, you will not have Windows bugs (bugs like this rarely exist with other Operating Systems). If you do not have Windows, you will not have borked updates.

Understand? Windows is more of a millstone around your neck and as it is not needed, why bother carrying all that around with you? Not only is is simpler, it is much more efficient and costs less.

If you were able to simplify enough to a ChromeBook, you would not have the boot time (near instant start) and a system that is always up to date without you having to do a thing or be inconvenienced.

Against the ChromeBook though is if you wanted to install graphic editing software.

Don't get me wrong, a shiny new laptop is nice. It just does not have to run Windows. If it is Windows 8, it is going to be quite a change for you and you may not like it.

On the other hand, you still have a working computer there, which will become insecure to use. You could throw a Windows 7 license at it - if the hardware will support Win7 - but inevitably it will be slower and from an age point of view it could fail at any time. How much is the lowest level of Win7 these days? $120? $150?

In your situation, changing it over to Linux makes the most sense.

Whatever you buy would be a matter of choice then and in addition to what you have.

By its nature, a Windows laptop is not likely to be hugely better than your current desktop from the point of view of performance.

Add that up and you will love the portability of a laptop but begin to enjoy your desktop machine more than you have for a long time.

its a windows 7.

anyway, arggggg FF crashed as i tried to read the other board.
this is getting crazy.

edited; i got in this time.

Admin

OK. ;)

Well, 7 is better than 8 for you but I stand by everything else.

So, Firefox 27 is still being a problem. This may not be related to TrendMicro then. I need to take some time to write instructions for something for you to try. We're grasping at straws here for now because we do not really know what the cause is. We know the symptom OK though.

i updated FireFox today.
well, it added a bunch of stuff to the top of the page. now i have a very wide or vertically wide tool bar.
at times i have like 3 search engines showing.
right now i see, the file, edit, view, etc. at the very top.
under that is where this threads subject is shown.
then i see where i type one letter and i guess its my favorite sites comes up.
then to the side of that is aol search
then under that is , most visited, getting started, customize links, free hotmail, windows, my ISP, down right now.
under that is trend micro toolbar
under that is AOL, Edit, craigs list icon, 3 more icons and, the date, weather andddd after that it has another white space with 'search the web".
so my reading space is limited.
oh joy