PayPal jumping on the "dashboard" bandwaggon

Author Comment

Why do they, PayPal, have to jump on the "dashboard" bandwaggon, and thus change from a professional look to an amateurish look.

It took a while, whilst giving feedback, that I was pointed at a "return to classic look" facility

Is it that I dislike change, or is it that I like to manage my business with less fuss and a clearer layout?

Admin

I just had to see what you were talking about, so went to login. I land on the homepage and find it scrolls "funny". Parts lag, when scrolled with the mouse wheel. It made me think I may be missing something and yet I was not.

Once I got over that, I looked for the login. Where the heck is it? I looked top right. I looked in the menu. Scrolled down. Only then did I notice there was a horizontal scrollbar. The button is on the top right, only out of view until horizontally scrolled. Likewise the "sign up" button is also obscured to the top right. Not very handy for getting business! They need to set their viewport properly, so all can see these.

I sign-in. Next I get an advert. Even my bank do this! I returned to type this and the page is off somewhere else all on its own! Backspace got me there but I now have a double-horizontal scroll! Now some idiot screen has appeared. Do I want this? No. I clicked to go to my account and am still not there!

So, why does it show me a page with no transactions, simply because I have none in whatever period it is set at? Now to find how to adjust that. (Had more funds there than I thought! :D )

Another idiot screen to dismiss! This is getting annoying!

The page is missing detail. I went to click to find some, ended up on another page, backspaced and ended up at the same old empty window. Now I have to set a date range again!

I did find there is a "go back to history" link (out of sight) at the bottom of the transaction or note page, which does return to the former view.

Whatever that view is called (activity, transactions or history), it is severely lacking in the detail I want there and used to be there. I do not want to have to look at multiple additional pages; I want to be able to see things at a glance.

A quick glance at "my profile" pages looks quite familiar. I'm fine with these but there is quite a clash between old and new. The data is in the old format.

I switched format and got a survey. I more or less linked here.

They ask for contact details? No, my head does not zip up the back. They have my details, they can do their own work!

Back to classic. Now let's see ...

Now I have this plastered across the top of the transactions:
View your transactions more easily with the new PayPal business account.
Try It Now
No way to hide it either.

Additional options. There is a handy dropdown for common alternative ranges. On change, it switches the page. OK, the options given do not suit me this time but it is handy to have.

Calendars have year jumps, which the newer version does not. This is handy.

Yes, that view is much more preferable. There is more detail and I do not need to look at full detail much. Foreign transactions are expandable without having to switch page. This is how I want it. Nothing to do with how it was before or how it looks now. "Classic" functionality could be improved upon slightly. The new version has a long way to go!

Nice! I click logout and it does just that with no fuss. :)

No, that new UI is beta. It should be opt-in at this stage. There is a lot of work to do on it yet.

Thought you'd like it ........................ NOT :P

Admin

I'm all for improvement. I am all for keeping abreast of the times. I'm even OK with change.

What I do not like is loss of functionality. What I do not like is not being able to see everything at a glance.

There are sites that have pages with a huge image and anything between a sentence and a paragraph accompanying them. Then one is supposed to page through 10-30 sentences or paragraphs to find the bit one wants? No, I am out of there! Plenty other sites to look at.

Relating that to PayPal, I do want to see all the detail provided on the classic view. I like being able to draw more detail onto the same page. I like being able to change something in one click rather than several. If I say I want to go to a page, that is where I should land. If I use the back button, it should either function as intended or not at all.

I see no reason why it cannot be made to work with all resolutions. I see no reason why details cannot be made verbose, brief or omitted at a user choice, without changing page. I see no reason why the last 20-30 transactions cannot be listed on landing rather then limited to the last month. I see no reason why the "to date" should not be pre-filled with today's date. I see no reason why common ranges cannot be built into the new UI and also expand the choices a little. I see no reason why the sidebar in the classic view cannot be made collapsible, to give more width or de-clutter.

Plenty of scope for improvement and getting things right.

Arghhhh, I just logged in to PayPal and did some stuff. I then logged in to my other account and it was the new look >: .

I phoned PayPal and was told that it was being forced upon us (not exactly using those words but effectively that was it), that all accounts would be changed quite soon.

I just posted this on their forums :

I use two paypal accounts. One just a while ago was familiar but logging in to the other I had some new format which quite simply is poor. It's very much less professional and awful. To be honest if I asked a work experience student to design a new look it would be like this, amateurish, poorly constructed and badly presented.

So I phoned PayPal and was told that this new look was going to replace the old (classic) and there was nothing I could do about it except get used to it.

Nothing more to say, she was poilite but ended saying "thankyou for using PayPal". I replied that if I could I would not use PayPal any longer with it looking like it is, but one's hands are tied.

Unhappy? you bet I am. You can revert to classic for each and every page you use, but that facility will soon go away I was told.

1 out of 10 for the new, compared to 10 out of 10 for the old.
I was just going to buy "exstreamuser" ;) a drink for his help, but was thwarted by this cr#ppy new PP. I know I dislike "new" but this is one step too far (too far back in my opinion - to use another pet hate Windoze as an example, it looks like Win3.1 compared with Win7)

Is it time I bought some pencils and paper, an abacus, and joined a reference library?

Admin

While I understand where you are coming from, I can see two sides here. Should they be meeting? You betcha! That's where the issue lies.

Let me try and explain a little...

Currently, around 30% of Internet users are using smartphones. This figure is set to double by 2017. Clearly the screens are small and the fingers fat. Tap targets should be 50px (according to Android), so fingers can hit them correctly. They should also not be too close together, so incorrect links are not hit in error.#

It is my guess this "dumbing down" is an attempt to make the interface more mobile user-friendly.

On the other side of the coin, we have screen resolutions in excess of 1900px now. We also have some massive monitors too. (Many use their TV.) They don't really meet in the middle and that is the big problem.

Ideally, there should either be a mobile style and a conventional style BUT, why should companies invest for technology that is on the way out? (IMHO, PayPal should!) This is where responsive styles fit in. Usually, they work by either rearranging sections or eliminating some on smaller screens.

Now, do you see either on the PayPal site? I sure didn't! I saw a dumbed down one-size-fits-all (maybe). Hence, stuff tucked out of sight! The result: something less user-friendly.

What can be done about it? As you say, they are a unique service, therefore not a lot. Sadly, they do prioritize very strongly on how they invest in their services. The result is that thousands or millions of users are left unhappy because they will not spend a few dollars on an area that does not benefit them to improve.

The result is like it, lump it or lose it. That will be the stock answer you get, no matter how politely put. I choose to live with the service and the additional inconvenience. Perhaps other methods of electronic transfer need more investigation? My bank account is incredibly simple to use online. Isn't PayPal just a bank? It moves with the times too and the changes are generally quite acceptable and may even offer more features.

I am never for progression at a loss of useability or features.

(Yeah, I know some back pages here are a little busted but they DO work! I'll get to these some day... :lol )

I don't like that mobiles are the tail wagging every dog. Fine to invest in an interface for mobile users, I have no problem with that but aren't they called apps for everything else? and apps are not replacements for software written for computers?

I am a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it". In the case of PayPal it is not broke. Why not invest in software for mobiles and leave that for computers alone? They are not selling software like MS so don't need to keep changing, they make their money from users by charging fees.

Maybe I am missing something? Yes I know they would have to maintain security perhaps in the ever changing world but I wonder if there's a misapprehension about mobiles - I wonder how many mobile users don't also use a computer? Many I know prefer to do financial stuff on a computer believing it to be more secure. Maybe wrong about that.

Admin

I asked Google your question and here is your answer. The stats are also very old, being now 18 months out of date.

What you also may not be realizing is that things are in fact becoming broken. While an HTML3 page from the 1990s may still render in a modern browser, the way it does is completely different. It just looks the same. The death of XP also meant the death of IE8 and below. Hardly anyone bothers to cater for that now. These things have been holding back advancement and developers are not going to tolerate that any longer.

Don't get me wrong, I am essentially agreeing with you. A much better job could have been done and perhaps it will yet, once they get rid of some of the legacy stuff. There might be restrictions here.

I have similar issues with updating control panels. Why bother, when they work and nobody really sees them? However, the more uniform look things are given, also the more intuitive it is for new people to use. i.e. can jump from one control panel to another and still find what they want, where they expect it. It both seems wrong and right.

At the end of the day, there is nothing you can do to stop the way things are advancing. At last, things CAN advance and they will do so at a much faster rate. Irrelevant to this but Google WILL penalize a site that is not mobile friendly. They are more recently penalizing sites that do not use HTTPS. Have a think about that... It fairly shakes up the way things used to be. The focus is on quality these days... in slightly different ways than it used to be. One has to do quite a bit more than throw some HTML at a web host in order to get anywhere these days. Like it or not, that is how things are. You can work with it or you can fall by the wayside.

I just fell over :P

Admin

Just made an online purchase and there were both options for bank transfer and PayPal. There was a third but I do not recall. I chose PayPal. No problem! I get the email confirmation and I close. Still quite quick, painless and easy. I did log in to PayPal and the interface is just the same as I left it.

I think they know how to rattle your cage. :P

As I said before " ....... was told that this new look was going to replace the old (classic) and there was nothing I could do about it except get used to it."

I have it on one account and not on the other account, but soon it will be all accounts.

Rattle my cage? grrrrrrrrrrr :P

Admin

paul4 wrote:Rattle my cage? grrrrrrrrrrr :P
You were saying about hair? :D

Hair? I have more where they tried to stick thingys for an ECG this morning that I have on my head :lol

Admin

It pays to be two steps ahead of a gorilla that has torn all its hair out! :D

Am 6' 2"+ so maybe three steps would be safer? :lol

Admin

True ... *makes note*