Can I override ad.doubleclick.net

Author Comment

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ad.doubleclick.net."

This "error" when trying to access ads on Google search pages, so no problem really, but also when trying to access a Tesco Clubcard Account page which I do want to see.

Can I override it? and how?

Paul, i am not by no means an expert of anything like this but, i did try and access the
ad,doubleclick.net and i got right in with FF.
also i was able to get to the sign in page at
https://secure.tesco.com/register/?from ... ult.asp%3f

maybe a fluke for you?

Admin

Paul's computer is secured against these trackers and unless he has an exceedingly good reason to do so, he should not change this.

Paul, you are trying to access via an advert and not a search result. Simply scroll down a little past the advert and use an unaffiliated link. Alternatively, copy the clean URL usually found below the result and paste that in your address bar.

I think this is where you want to be: https://secure.tesco.com/register/

I have had doubleclick blocked for nearly 20 years. There was a humorous Steve Gibson story about it once. Let me see if it still exists... Not obvious, only later articles. When firewalls were manual, rules based, doubleclick was always put at the top. Superficially, it is a controversial tracker (which you can have a lot of difficulty shaking) and provider of affiliate links. Do feel free to Google some of the stories about it over the years. Having doubleclick blocked for all this time has done nothing for me other than make my life better. It does not inconvenience me one bit. I check links before I click on them. It is rare to find these days other than used by some Google links.

I am not at all sure what you typed into Google to get an ad thrown at you. When I searched for "Tesco Clubcard Account", the results were pretty clean. Perhaps if you have an account, you should bookmark it instead of telling Google about it every time you want to visit?

Yes, I have a bookmark but I (actually, Sue ;) ) was trying to access it from a link in a Tesco email.

I was just wondering if there was a kinda whitelist one could utilise, but I'm happy to leave all as is.

thanks

Admin

Yeah, read your hosts file.

Things are not good if Tesco is using doubleclick in emails.

Ah, the infamous hosts file. Will have a look. :)

Admin

Here's the story... It's been merged into a larger page:

https://www.grc.com/cb-faq.htm#privacy

Kinda funny looking back on things. Back then, we only had 40 or 50 sites blocked and now I have over 30,000!

Thanks, will have a read later :)