keyboard problem

Author Comment

member has this keyboard problem

My---Keyboard--is--acting--up--space--bar--not--working .

Admin

Most likely needs a keyboard replacement. The spacebar is one of the most commonly used keys and it will be on the way out.

Alt+032 will produce a space character, if absolutely necessary. To be clear, press and hold the Alt key, type 032, then release the Alt key. (I would just copy and paste the space, as Ctrl+V is quicker.)

It is also possible to use the on-screen keyboard, if it is installed. Usually: Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > On-Screen Keyboard.

thanks Andrew

Or it could just need to be unplugged or and replugged in again ((re-install))?!

I had a familiar issue once and that's all I needed to do same with the mouse as well.

I Cleaned it and it is working good again... ooops Note to self... stop eating potato chips while on PC

Admin

The original post was about a member? :lol

Keyboards must start around $5? I wouldn't entertain trying to clean a cheap one, except in an emergency. More expensive ones are possibly worth the effort and may last a while after a clean, whereas cheap ones fail quicker and quicker with every attempt.

This keyboard in front of me is absolutely filthy! :lol I don't see it most of the time. It works though and yes at some point I will clean it because it is a good one. However, I would just swap it for another, so it gets a good chance to dry before reconnecting. Now you made me think about it! :lol

LOL I had my keyboard acting up too Andrew.. so I told the member this is what I did and mine is working great again
I simply banged mine upside down and Potato chips fell out LOTS lol. I figured cant break it more!
Mine works great now.. havent heard back from our member..

Admin

Oh, a vacuum with a brush can work well, if it is just debris. I guess much the same as turning it upside down and giving it a bang. Shouldn't hurt it.

Glad to hear all is well.

I have a friend who's been known to remove all of the keys and wash them in a sink full of soap and water. If you choose to try that, I'd suggest taking a picture of the keyboard before getting started to make it easier to put them back.

I hate dirty keyboards, some of the guys in my design office could have grown spuds on their's :)

Recently when I knocked over a cup of coffee on mine I opened it up and upended it and let the coffee drain out and fortunately it is one of those that has a large membrane under the keys so no damage, but some of the keys felt "dry". I then decided to give it a spray of rubber and plastic lubricant which did the trick, but it also lifted the muck from the sides of the keys a treat, and overall it looks like new again. Not bad for a 10 year old Dell keyboard :)