Avast

Author Comment

Avast
can i have a thought on the Avast Anti virus .
it may have been discussed here before but i do not see it on the list.

Admin

It has been discussed here before but in no great depth. Besides, these things need reviewed every year.

I don't understand the question, as you have a Trend Micro product of some sorts, which the license does not run out until next year. One should never have two anti-virus products installed at the same time, as these conflict with one another.

Avast is not the best and not the worst of anti-viruses. It may be quite suited to you and your machine though. It cannot be used as the sole form of Internet security and you would also need a firewall. I'm afraid I have no idea which firewall plays best with Avast. Zone Alarm is not really suited to your hardware and would take well over two minutes to boot.

Removal of Trend Micro products is tedious and one should make sure every last part is removed prior to installing an alternative. If memory serves me correctly, one has to download two or more removal tools, as well as the new software, before putting the machine offline to uninstall the software, clean up after the uninstall, remove the "drivers", install the new software, all with a reboot in between each stage.

Trend Micro products also are not the best and not the worst. It just makes no sense to me to change mid-term, unless the product has changed and is no longer suitable for the hardware.

Even with the slim chance you have a new machine, the Trend Micro license covers for up to three machines.

So, insufficient detail really. I have never used Avast and neither have I ever installed it for anyone. Security software has to be matched to the user and the hardware, as well as its detection rate. It can be very difficult to find discrete products that play well together too, which introduces yet another factor. That said, I have never not considered it. It has always been on the list and fallen short to a better solution.

Research could take days and never be fruitful. Trial and error testing security products and their compatibility is very tedious and can leave machines in a less than ideal state. A best choice last year, may not be a best choice this year. The older the machine, the more difficult it becomes to find a security product, which does not consume a huge amount of resources.

I was looking ahead.
thank you for your thoughts.

Admin

That's much easier:
  1. Get a Mac
  2. Get Linux
  3. For a PC add
    1. Avira Internet Security or
    2. Comodo Internet Security or
    3. Trend Micro Titanium as you already have a license, but will have to pay for it annually (the others are better and free).