Why is FF so slow?

Author Comment

FF v30.0 on Windows7 approx 30 secs to load a page (BBC site, page has a "video")

FF v29.0 on Linux Mint approx 2 secs to load same page

This is consistently the case (same desktop) so why? I only use Windoze when I have to do stuff to print, but whilst there I use FF and it is s....l....o....w.....w.....w for many pages. Was looking at menus from restaurants in CentreParcs last night and I had to get a sandwich and a cuppa whilst waiting |I

This board, and all forums, is ok :)

Admin

BBC homepage for me:
68 requests
480.5 KB
5.49s (onload: 5.24s)

It starts to render around the one and a half second mark.

This should not be the answer but you could try removing the following line from the relevant hosts file.

127.0.0.1 sa.bbc.co.uk

If that actually works, then you may have a problem with your Linux hosts file. Just verify it to be sure.

By rights connections should be aborted (they are for me) but some combination may be causing you the issue.

While this did not kick in for me on the homepage, you could also verify if the following line is related to your issue:

127.0.0.1 stats.bbc.co.uk

While YSlow and Page Speed both have issues with the site, they are not that drastic. Blocking is the most likely issue but why you have a difference between 2 OSes, with a similar hosts file does not make sense.

Only an assumption but you have checked other browsers and they are OK?

Have you considered upgrading Firefox to version 31?

Windows7 FF v30 approx 25 secs to load a page (BBC site, page has a "video") - to add info I should have started with : page does load it's the video "panel" that takes the long time

ComodoDragon v33.1.0.0 approx 25 secs to load same page / panel

Updated FF to v32 still approx 25 secs to load same page / panel

When I can locate the hosts file(s) I'll look :eek

Admin

So, the issue is not a Firefox issue.

The hosts file is still in the same place you left it. :)

I would bet that is where your issue lies: (BBC Ads being blocked). Either flush DNS after editing the hosts file or reboot. To edit the hosts file, copy it, edit the copy, delete the original, rename the copy back.

Now, the REAL question is why your Linux hosts file is not doing the job it should.

errrrr, I don't remember where I left it :P Just as well I have some email conversations that give me the info.

Just at the moment I'm confused (no change there then :P ). If I find the 127.0.0.1 sa.bbc.co.uk line and remove it and it fixes the issue (slow loading in Win7 FF) why is the REAL question being why my Linux hosts file is not doing the job it should? What is the job? surely not slowing it up? see what I mean?

No, I don't have that line in my hosts file. In fact the only lines I have with 127.0.0.1 are in the Google Inc section and below several figuring adobe

I hope I'm not seeming to be pedantic where it may be a typo, but I do have
127.0.0.0 stats.bbc.co.uk and 127.0.0.0 sa.bbc.co.uk

In one email you said
"You will likely find that I have used 127.0.0.1 instead of 0.0.0.0 and I used to use 0.0.0.0 until Comodo (I think it was) had some issue with it, so I changed it to 127.0.0.1 . Just make sure your loopback adapter stays as it was and find and replace the rest (if you choose to update the file)."

So should I change globally 127.0.0.0 to 127.0.0.1 and also remove the lines mentioned above?

I'll have to reboot into Linux to check that hosts file

Admin

paul4 wrote:So should I change globally 127.0.0.0 to 127.0.0.1 and also remove the lines mentioned above?

Yes. That is why the file is not doing the job of blocking the undesireables.

To be clear: 127.0.0.0 does not belong in your hosts file. 127.0.0.1 is the IP address of localhost (the one you want).

You realise this likely means your laptop is in a similar state?

Ok, I'll have to check and update hosts files for Win7 and Linux on desktop, plus Linux on laptop (no i'd not thought of that)

Have to go out now, maybe find time later :)

thanks

Found a few minutes before back out.

hosts edited for 127.0.0.1 - rebooted and page loaded in 3 secs. Hoping that isn't a coincidence I'll check again later.

So presumably I can leave the 127.0.0.1 sa.bbc.co.uk line in?

Admin

Simple test: If you are unable to connect to: http://sa.bbc.co.uk/ then your hosts file is doing its job.

Yes, if the site (or part of the site) now works, with that address blocked, then likely it was just Windows having an issue with the incorrect IP address (and Linux not).

BTW, it would be best if the Windows hosts file was left as read-only. I should have mentioned to do this after editing,

Linux :

Am unable to connect to http://sa.bbc.co.uk/ and load time for BBC page with video is around 2 secs :)

Checked hosts file and top lines are

127.0.0.1   localhost
127.0.1.1   Desktop

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

# [Start of entries generated by MVPS HOSTS]
#
# [Misc A - Z]
127.0.0.0 fr.a2dfp.net
127.0.0.0 m.fr.a2dfp.net
127.0.0.0 mfr.a2dfp.net
127.0.0.0 ad.a8.net

So IF I cannot connect to that page, and the hosts file is doing what it should, then how come 127.0.0.0 is ok?

Will reboot into Windows and check that next.

Windows :

Am unable to connect to http://sa.bbc.co.uk/ and load time for BBC page with video is around 3-4 secs :)

Checked hosts file and top lines are

127.0.0.1   localhost
127.0.1.1   Desktop

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

# [Start of entries generated by MVPS HOSTS]
#
# [Misc A - Z]
127.0.0.1 fr.a2dfp.net
127.0.0.1 m.fr.a2dfp.net
127.0.0.1 mfr.a2dfp.net
127.0.0.1 ad.a8.net

hosts file is now read only :)

So, it's just the linux hosts file with the 127.0.0.0 now needs explanation please?

Admin

Does it? It simply does not connect because it is pointing to a non-existent IP address. The IP address IS local but NOT localhost. Windows is just having an issue with it.

Both these files are messed up. The beginnings should not be identical. The IP address 127.0.0.0 should be 127.0.0.1 You have a Linux style beginning on your Windows hosts file.

I think it might be best if I dig out the backups, update them (because that is why we are here right now), zip them and email them to you. This will take some time, as they are not readily accessible. I will however try to do this today.

Thanks Andrew, whenever is good :)

Incidentally, hosts file on laptop was copied from Linux one on desktop

Admin

I have just sent you three hosts files. They are all different. Your laptop one I could not get 100% correct but it should work and you can configure the second line (which I have commented out), if or when it is ever needed. As you don't network, I doubt this will ever be noticed. If you did use it, you would need to change "laptop" to the machine name and uncomment the line.

Obviously, in doing this, I have confirmed these were correct prior to your changes on 19th August 2014.

Brilliant, thanks. I have replied to your email :)