Mobile phone broken

Author Comment

My daughter dropped her Samsung Galaxy III and cracked the screen. There is no display and it's pretty knackered.

I can't see if it accepts charging, but I can connect to my pc. I downloaded Samsung's Kies software and managed to save her contacts list (439) which were on the phone and not on the SIM as I have mine set to. Her photos (2000) were on a media card so they are safe.

Problem is, she has the phone insured but there's now a £75 excess which has been added to the policy, and if she goes with that she has to return her broken phone and get a replacement, BUT she would like to delete her contacts before sending it away.

How might she do that? Any ideas?

Oh I wish my bf was here he may know how to answer this question for you, he just recently got a replacement in the mail as well after paying $100 but, I have no idea how he back anything up or not I do however know that he was able to get the power on and do some things with it but, don't know if that was one of them.

I found this site tho, but don't know if it would be of any help for you and your daughter!? :(

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2521

Admin

Rather than answer your question, I would rather get the problem resolved. Get her to scout your area on FaceBook for someone who replaces these screens. It won't cost as much as the excess, there will never be a claim and there is no need to try and save data, although it is a good precaution. No idea on the current going rate. Google and FaceBook are your friends.

In perspective: a second-hand SIII is valued from around the cost of the excess, depending on the exact spec.

To be clear, I am saying find someone like the "dodgy guy at the market" or someone who works from home doing this and is known on FaceBook, where reputation can be seen. There are plenty of these guys around and they are much cheaper than places that have a shop.

Thanks Marie, but no help when the phone's screen doesnt display anything.

Makes sense Andrew, thanks. Since I posted, my daughter's friend who has the galaxy III is due an upgrade and she said she could have her old one :)

Admin

There ya go! Sorted! :)

Now you just need someone with the right tools...

I have the tools, and YouTube was my friend just in case I want to have a go - assuming I could find the right display to buy.

Job for "ron" ;)

Admin

You may find it works out just as cheap to get someone to do it for you, like I mentioned above. Their sourcing and buying power is better than yours. The little guy will charge £10-15 for labour. Parts will likely be sourced more than £20 cheaper than you will find.

I assumed you were not just going to change phones but instead use the donated phone for parts. In that way, no data need be transferred.

The SIII is 2 years old now and has been superseded. Still a good phone. Still desirable. However, likely not worth the money repairing one with a damaged case/screen unless you particularly want that phone.

Yeah, you still have the data transfer issue. And if you dispose of the phone, you'd still want to wipe data.

Either way, you'd want to do your daughter's friend a favor and restore the second phone to factory condition if that hasn't been done already. Of course, that should be easy because that phone has a screen and is fully functional.

I have my Mac/iPad contacts backed up to iCloud, so I wouldn't have to worry about data recovery if I had a broken device. That's a safer proposition than backing up to Google, though, as Apple doesn't try to monetize customers' contact information.

iPads and iPhones can be wiped via iTunes on a Mac or Windows PC, although it's possible that a user could run into trouble if the screen is busted and iTunes asks for a passcode to be entered on the device itself. I don't know if that happens or not when restoring to factory condition, but I can confirm that I was asked to enter my passcode when upgrading the OS via iTunes. A remote wipe via any web browser (generally used for lost or stolen devices) could be another option.