London families agree to give up their children in exchange for WiFi

Author Comment

Did you agree to give away your children for free Wi-Fi?

Security and privacy researchers F-Secure set up a Wi-Fi hotspot in London that gave users access to the internet absolutely free. The only stipulation they had to agree to was a “deliberately ridiculous” one — that they would “render up their eldest child for the duration of eternity.”

According to F-Secure’s report entitled “Tainted Love: How Wi-Fi Betrays Us,” six users “decided that it was a fair exchange” and accepted the terms so that they could connect to the network. Fortunately for them, F-Secure isn’t really interested in taking ownership of their offspring.

I guess we should pay more attention when we're presented with terms of use. :)

Admin

Ha! Maybe they read the T&Cs and meant to agree! LOL

You know? I'd like to see more of this sort of thing done. Many seem to think of Internet enabled devices as domestic appliances these days and have very little clue. Education and wake-ups like this can only be good!

Modern society tends to wrap people in cotton wool. We're shielded and protected from so many things that it is arguably harmful. I am particularly referring to the UK here but that is not exclusive and things only vary by degree. This spills over into Internet life. People assume they are safe. People think they are invulnerable.

Now, where is that offer; I want to take it up! :D