Fixit tool?

Author Comment

http://speedfixtool.com/lp900/la2-2.html?geo=ca&camp=3&adset=2&adid=1
Fixit tool
What is your opinion Andrew?
Malware?

Admin

My opinion is that I do not even want to click on that link. I have no knowledge of the thing and have never heard of it. The URL contains the strings "adset" and "adid", so most likely it is adware or trying to force something upon you.

As you have posted a link, I need to research this as it may be better either broken or removed. I simply do not trust it.

At a quick glance, the first 4 trustworthy sites I looked at reckon it is a scam and/or untrustworthy. I would not go near it with a barge-pole and I will be breaking the link in your post, so people do not click on it and end up with who knows what.

Stick to well known and recommended software. From what little I read, it appears similar to CCleaner, which you can trust.

Thank you very much your wisdom is always appreciated

Admin

You're welcome. :)

If you are having any form of speed related issues, it is better to find out the cause and rectify that. e.g. if your issue is Internet speed, your bottleneck is your connection and any traffic management your ISP is performing. Assess what is using up your bandwidth and reduce the unnecessary. In turn, this will give capacity to the desirable.

General (offline) sluggishness and slowness clearly shows the issue lies at the device level. This is where a "dust 'n' clean" can assist. If it is overall, look to the operating system and software running at startup. If it is opening or loading things, this may indicate a disk defrag is in order. Only certain applications cause is variable but may be caught in the above.

Machines are getting under-resourced these days with web applications. Certain websites may make heavy use of JavaScript and cause a browser or machine to misbehave. Closing and opening the browser is a temporary workaround. Avoid the greedy sites. This is just a sign that we need to upgrade our hardware (to match our software).

Certain sites - and one you use very often is a prime candidate here - download a HUGE payload in the background between scripts, stylesheets, adverts and trackers. e.g. what appears a TINY page in a browser with a few words on it may actually be 5MB in size and take 30 seconds to fully download. This does not seem fair when all you wanted was say 15kB of text. Removing adverts from such sites will go a LONG way towards speeding them up on a restricted connection (like you have).

Just a case of identifying the area to look at and addressing the issue in one way or another as best as possible. In most cases, there is no magic fix.

a disk defrag! I have never done one.. So it is the First thing I will do .. then C-cleaner is next.. I may have a bug..

Admin

Bugs are not good!

Use MBAM first to try and clean anything up, then follow that with CCleaner. By that time your disk will be a little less cluttered for a defrag.

This is a trustworthy site, where you will find some explanation and methods. There are internal links if you feel like exploring more. I don't know your OS, so just pick from that article what you may need.
http://lifehacker.com/5976424/what-is-d ... y-computer

Defragging can pick up on a disk error and alert you to it. If it does, chkdsk may be able to repair the error. If this happens to be where a system file is stored, that could explain oddities and slowness.

Andrew can you post the link to a trusted place to download C Cleaner please

Admin

Sure! https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

It doesn't go to the ends of the earth, which also makes it quite safe. Gets rid of the common build up of (insert what the first 'C' stands for here) though. Additional tools for startup, add/remove and a very basic registry cleaner.

No frills, once you tell it to clean, it will. i.e. it will delete anything it thinks is unwanted. No going back. This is no problem if all is set correctly. Default settings are overcautious, so reasonably safe to just let it do that. (It does tell you this but I just wanted to make sure you expected this in advance rather than get in a panic over the warning.)

You can add to what it cleans by changing options. This may slow its operation though but not by much and it can be worth it. Take a couple of minutes to look through the places it will clean for you. Mostly, things are obvious. In the advanced area, I suggest you do not check anything, other than to correct a specific issue. The one thing that IS worth checking there is "Old prefetch data". This is totally safe and could speed things up.

Under Firefox/Chrome, "Compact databases" is worth checking. This is slow but usually worth it. Faster browsing can result.

Why are all these things listed? Mostly, they are just "Most Recently Used" (MRU) lists or things like download locations. Not usually that important either way, other than to the user. Suit yourself here.

If you suspect malware, cleaning Windows Temporary Files and browser caches may be extremely beneficial. If you clear IE's "Temporary Internet Files", do let it also delete index.dat file/s. (This is a hidden file that contains all your activity and is of no real benefit to you.) Why beneficial? Malware tends to be sequential. One things has to happen before another. Commonly, things are downloaded to one of these locations in the first instance before they are activated/run.

In short: a simple common interface to do most of the common maintenance tasks we used to do manually one by one years ago. Always clean before defrag. (no sense in defragging junk and not obtaining max contiguous in first sweep)

More comprehensive tools do exist and some are even good. e.g. Advanced System Care by IObit: http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.php This is quite a powerful tool BUT in the hands of the inexperienced, it can do harm, as one member here can attest to. Others would happily use it. I have used it in the past, set up to maintain machines on schedules. It has changed a little by the look of it and I doubt it is worth having.

O WOW!! I love CCleaner!
PC is faster!
Thank you Thank You!!
Big Gran Hugs

Admin

Pleased to hear that! :)

I presume you were experiencing a general and all over slowness?

Oh yes so slow. It was slow for over a year... and I was shocked at how much was removed... I used the system care too. You helped me so much. Cleaned up my laptop too.

Admin

Possibilities:
Settings are not configured optimally. Cache sizes too big. All Internet browsers can have their caches optimized to suit your needs. A large cache will make browsing slower for fresh content and faster for static content. A large cache would be best used by slow or restricted Internet connection. e.g. dial-ups or low bandwidth allowance. A small cache will tend to make sure things are fresh. IE is a particularly POOR cache manager because it does things its own way, rather than follow standards and do as directed. Work out just how much you need to cache and set your browsers to this. A day's worth? A week? I personally have mine set at 300MB. This is probably close to my common daily use. Caches in GB take a lot to manage and therefore cause machine slowness. They also severely fragment the files on disk, meaning ALL files and not just the browser's cached files.

If you have Java installed, this is a cache hog! Whack it's cache size right down to a few MB. I personally have mine set at 10MB. I find no problem with this setting and everything works just fine. It ensures things get pushed out of cache, which is a good thing on many fronts.

Temp files again tend to be used once and just left sitting there. These end up dotted over the surface of the disk, causing things you want to be contiguous for speed instead to become fragmented out of necessity. Clean them out on a schedule. Once a week, once a month, whatever suits your use best.

Prefetch data does tend to grow and grow and a lot of the time it is never even used. In theory this could be deleted daily but practically, this is not worth it.

Often overlooked is disk size. Windows needs a certain amount of free space in order to create (other) temporary files. If you do not have much free space, Windows will slow. If your free space is distant from the start or end of the disk, things will slow.

Obviously, you know that reducing the things that run on startup speeds up a machine and particularly its boot time. Only have things running at startup if absolutely necessary.

Don't schedule things. Instead run them manually. It uses resources to look at the clock!

Registry cleaning is important on two fronts. The larger the registry, the slower things become. This grows every time we add something but never completely reduces when something is "uninstalled". Getting rid of the bloat (waste of space entries) will speed things up. The registry can be better optimized even on a brand new system. How many languages do you need support for? How many timezones do you live in? Crazily, things like this are all present in a newly created registry. Slimming these down does take some expertise because things can get seriously broken.

Have you considered that your security software (in particular Anti-Virus) is slowing your machine by probably around 50%? Think about it this way: If you want something to check every single file your computer accesses, every single time it is used, this is bound to be slow! Some AVs are less resource hungry than others. Striking the right balance for your machine and needs is what is important here. e.g. Use AVG and yeah, it will be slooooooow! Wasn't always like this but "improvements" made it this way. It's a dance: slow, slow, quick, quick, slow, every time security software is updated. Almost all manufacturers are like this. Reassess annually or bi-annually. [b]Make absolutely sure that all remnants of older security software are removed before introducing a new one.[b] (removal tools and registry cleaners)

At the end of the day, if the machine has been through the wars over time, it may be better to wipe it clean and reinstall afresh. This can result in less time being spent and a (near) guarantee of a clean machine. e.g. if the machine was basically an Internet machine and it had suffered a few malware incidents, I would hardly bat an eye at just reinstalling Windows. No files to backup and restore. Very little software to reinstall and (re)configure. Windows itself takes less than an hour to install and about 5 mins of human time. Do consider: all Windows updates will need reapplied, Firefox/Chrome need installed (and any settings restored from a backup), security software needs to be installed. Then you can do what you want, when you want.

On the other hand, lots of data, programs and settings, I would shy away from a reinstall and try to fix. This may still be the wrong choice but one can never know what the best choice is until the end of the process. Even in that scenario, if the machine was riddled with malware (or had been), I would sway towards reinstalling. In that way, I would have peace of mind both from being malware free and there being no breakages (as can happen on malware removal).

There are loads of things that can be tweaked to improve performance. It takes me two days or more to tweak a Windows machine to the ultimate; I kid you not! (Yeah, there are plenty of places that can be tweaked! :) )

Seriously though, one has to prioritize. What is doing the most harm and then deal with that. Performing routine maintenance is rarely important at the beginning but its importance increases with time. Hence, the benefit from carrying it out is always more the longer it is left. Balance! Once a week, once a month, once a quarter. Depends on your use and needs. Clean then defrag. Don't waste your time doing it the other way around.

AV is a killer. Yeah, I said maybe 50% of your resources (making things take twice as long). That is not to be sneezed at! A good choice of AV for performance has to be considered as well as how effective it is. This is even more important on older (Windows) machines.

Another trick - and a VERY valuable one too! Have a look at this: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

In brief: There are scum, unwanted and unnecessary sites, which our computer may direct us to. Our computer has to look up where to find these sites. We can "trick" our computer by telling it these sites reside on our own machine. Result: 404 because it is not there! Meaning: a portion of our bandwidth was never used, making things we do want able to download faster. Also meaning: known scum can NEVER be downloaded to our machine, even by malware. Also meaning: Our AV and firewall, has less work to do, hence making everything faster.

No software to download, install or run. Simple passive and first-line protection. Well worth it! (oh and yes, it is also free!)

I've rambled again! Just a case of finding where the bottle-necks are and relieving them, if possible.

I love when you ramble. I learn LOTS!
Thank you Andrew!
Hugs

Admin

Um, that was a long post, wasn't it? :lol

yeah it was.
i downloaded the ccleaner and i see it wants to update already.
is this normal ?

Admin

I wouldn't have thought so.

well i got to the download of it and something else wanted to download on it so i just canceled the whole thing.
anyway all i do with cc is to delete cookies and cache and history on aol, chrome, ff. why bother with it as i do that myself.

edited;
the message is at the bottom of the ccleaner free screen.
"new version click to download"

piriform
a new version is available.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/update ... 33&o=5.1W3

you can choose, yes or no.
i chose no thanks
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download?upgrade

Admin

Oh, It's just a nag to get a paid version. I wouldn't worry about that. I must admit that I have never noticed or paid attention to that.