Cant see "Save As" pictures

Author Comment

Cant see "Save As" pictures I saved on my PC from The Internet
I got a newer version of Paint Shop Pro. called Corel 2 which is like PSP10
Animation Shop works but many animation cannot be read.. all I see is a white page for an icon in "My Pictures"Image
An Error says 'Does not exist or cannot be read'
It is whether it is a .gif or .jpg. Makes no difference I get the same error
I have recently downloaded
CCleaner and Iobit cleaner Could thee programs be blocking them?

Admin

I had that and ditched it. Still got the installer. It was a promotional version and gives a nag on close. As you will know, PSP7 is the best - or at least the most liked. I found PSP8 troublesome. PSP9 is OK ... but really it is no better than PSP7 - at least IMHO.

Firstly, neither of these programs run, unless you tell them to. Cannot be them.

How come you have an exclamation mark in your directory name? Try renaming your directory, to exclude this. That could be all it takes.

Failing that, move (or make a copy of) the file to say your desktop and try and open it there. If it still will not open, Click it once, Hold down your SHIFT key and right-click it. You should get an "Open With" option. You will likely need to "browse" and choose "Firefox". Make sure that you do not have "always use this program to open this type of file" (or whatever the exact words are) checked, before you click OK. If the file opens in Firefox without errors, it is not the file.

If it is not the file, repeat the last steps and instead choose PSPX. If that works and you are brave, you could repeat once again and this time CHECK that checkbox. Double-clicking should then open the file.

An alternative would be to open PSPX and under the File menu, choose "file type associations". You will probably want to choose all, unless you work on a lot of animations, where you may want not to check GIFs. (Open them in animation shop instead)

Sometimes SHIFT+Right-click doesn't bring up the "open with" option. This can be worked around by right-clicking, choosing properties and then there is an option to change the default program.

In short, test the location, test the file, test the file-type association. If it is none of these, PSPX is broke! I'd start with that exclamation mark (and space) to begin with. Both can cause weirdness.

PSP7 IS the best I agree
It is Animation Shop that I cannot open animations with as well
We probably wont find a solution
I tried everything you said
Says in FF animation contains errors!
SO MANY images and animations cannot possibly contain errors
It is OK Andrew I will wait it out. I think it may have been a windows update that made the mess.. I can live with it

Admin

Gran wrote:Says in FF animation contains errors!
SO MANY images and animations cannot possibly contain errors

Sounds like something has altered your files. I've done similar myself by accident. In my case, I did a find and replace in files on disk, wrongly assuming that images would be unaffected, but they were!

Granted that Firefox is a little sensitive and errs on the safer side and does not display an image with errors BUT it is a good test.

So, something has mangled your files by the looks of it. What may have done that?

ioBit SystemCare, I did NOT recommend and issued a caution with it that it could potentially cause harm. I have not touched the program in years, so forget all it offers... Let's do some Googling...

Not good news there... There are still plenty of complaints about ASC corrupting systems but I am not seeing any specifically relating to image files. There are mentions of disk corruption though and that could affect any file. This makes me wonder what else may be corrupt.

Not sure what Operating system you are using but a cautious approach would be to begin with a chkdsk /f . Here are some destructions for Win Vista and 7. If using the GUI, make sure the "Fix" option is chosen. (You may want to avoid the scan for bad sectors for now.) Using the command prompt, it is just "chkdsk /f" (without quotes). Do this before you go to bed. It needs to reboot your machine, so the drive is inactive. It also will take a while, depending on your drive speed and size.

If this finds errors, it will try to repair them. The files may still end up corrupt but they will be treated as "real" files again. Some may actually show but I doubt all.

I have a lot more I could add but will wait and see what the result of the chkdsk is. The result is not easy to find and again is OS dependant. Here is one giude, which shows how the log file can be found and viewed.

Would you mind emailing me a few copies of these images, so I can try a few things out on them? A handful of smileys or something will do. Some animated and some JPG.

I do hate to say this but I suggest you start finding copies of these files and overwriting.

Once the drive is confirmed in order, we should then check system files but save that for another time. Clearly, they are good enough to kinda work for you at the moment.

Finding the cause is important, because you do not want this to happen again. I'm saying here and now that ASC could be the culprit, depending on how you used it. I suggest you don't use it again until we know that to be true or not.

Avoid using things like System Restore too, for now. Thes could do more harm than good. Caution is required to proceed.

chkdsk /f in Start/Run
Gives a a little Flash, that I cannot see what is happening, then nothing happens
I have deleted obit..

Admin

I replied twice to your email about a day ago.

That is NOT how to run chkdsk. Please follow the instructions linked to or the appropriate instructions for whatever Windows version you are running.

It was NOT wise to "delete" ioBit ASC. It was wise NOT to use it, until we find the cause. ASC saves backups of how things were, which may have been useful or necessary. Now these are gone.

I received no emails from you Andrew I checked junk mail too.. nothing. You may be sending to my old IP
Did you Reply to My sent emails to you or from your address book
Sorry I missed the Link before
I did as you said.. My PC did it and problem is still there.
Did you find something in the images I sent you?
See what the result of the chkdsk is. The result is not easy to find and again is OS dependant. Here is one giude, which shows how the log file can be found and viewed.

I did not get a log file it just rebooted I am using Windows 7 64 bit

Admin

I replied directly to the address that sent these emails. I have verified that they left both my computer and my provider's network. Consequently, I resent these emails and have now added a third email from another address.

If these do not turn up, please either email me or PM me (interact menu to left), an email address I can send these to.

Got it and I think I understand.. Sent email back