Android OS update, to do or not to do?

Author Comment

My Nexus7 tablet is working fine (v4.2.2) but I've now got notification of Android 5.0 updates downloaded.

I looked up 5.0 (Lollipop) and I read <quote>............. a new cross-platform design language referred to as "material design". Expanding upon the "card" motifs first seen in Google Now, it is a cleaner design with increased use of grid-based layouts, responsive animations and transitions, padding, and depth effects such as lighting and shadows. Designer Matías Duarte explained that "unlike real paper, our digital material can expand and reform intelligently. Material has physical surfaces and edges. Seams and shadows provide meaning about what you can touch." The material design language will not only be used on Android, but across Google's suite of web software as well, providing a consistent experience across all platforms.</unquote>

What a load of mumbo jumbo is that? Do I really need to start again?

Can I get rid of the notification? it seems not.

Admin

The answer is not as simple as the question. There are a number of factors to be taken into consideration and your quote is not really one of them.

I wonder why you have missed all the updates in between. There were seven of these.

How much RAM do you have? If less than 512MB, then the answer is it is probably best to avoid for now. You may at some point HAVE to upgrade though as more and more functionality is lost.

One has to balance security versus performance versus functionality. Android devices are likely to get old fast. Maybe 3 years to obsolescence?

Two of the interim updates contained security enhancements, as does the 5.0 update. (4.3, 4.4.2, 5.0) You should research these to find out how important to you these are. If they are of no consequence to your use of the device then security is not a reason to stay behind.

It would appear that KitKat and Lollipop will both work with less RAM than 512MB but expect reduced performance and functionality. If you have to upgrade for security reasons, then you will be taking a performance hit.

Functionality is double-edged. You can lose this at both ends of the scale. The new does not support the old or the old does not support the new. You must assess your apps - or perhaps more accurately, your requirements. The middle-ground is the best place to be here.

Back to the question of how the heck you have avoided all the nags for the interim 7 updates... The accustomed way of removing these as they arise is by disabling them from your startup items. You would use an app like this to do so: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rs.autorun Device will require a reboot after you make the appropriate change.

What is the "appropriate change"? Guess or Google. It might be:
com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService$ Receiver

I have 1GB RAM. I was never notified of updates between 4.2.2 and 5.0
I have never (knowingly) taken any steps to avoid updates.

Have installed the app you linked to, will play, although it suggests that the device should be rooted for best results.

thanks

Honestly don't know how, but my os now shows as 4.4.4

I installed lollipop on my Nexus 7 last night and to this point am not impressed. I haven't used it a lot yet but it doesn't seem to be working smoothly at all. I don't find the swiping works as well as it should, or did, and sometimes it seems to jump out of an app I may be in.
As I said, I haven't played with it too much yet, but so far I am quite unimpressed.

Sorry to hear that. Mmmm, I think I'll keep it as is - at least for the moment.

Admin

I think you are probably already in your "middle ground" position. At the latest KitKat level, you should be fairly good. I just hope you can get rid of the nag without rooting.

Most new versions of anything are buggy. It's impossible to test all combinations. Hope Lollipop 5.0.1 fixes the bugs and adds the necessary tweaks for the Nexus.

Kinda funny... I would have no problem rooting my own device, yet I would NEVER recommend anyone do it to theirs! :lol

Auntiem, you could flash it with an older version but you lose all data and settings in doing so. You could wait to see if Paul gets rid of the nag and make a decision.

errrr, what's "the nag"?

Admin

paul4 wrote:notification
Technical term. :D

Ah ha. Horsepower :)

As nothing has improved as I have played with my Nexus 7, I started to look and there seems to be a lot of problems with lollipop on the devices. Google says it is investigating the problem.

I hope they get it fixed soon. It's all very aggravating.

After doing some reading, I did a factory data reset on my N7. This left lollipop on as my OS with everything now working wonderfully well. Probably even better than it did before the lollipop installation. Some posted they did the reset before installing lollipop.
The reset didn't take very long. The longest part was getting my books off so I wouldn't lose them. Now I have to get my apps back and make sure they work. So far, all are working fine.

Admin

Whoa! You're saying you still have Lollipop (Android 5.0) and it is now working better than after the upgrade? I thought factory resets reset the OS version to the original.

Glad to hear all is working well, whatever the answer is. Just wanted to clarify...

Yes, it kept lollipop. I was surprised too. I actually did a "factory data reset" as opposed to a "factory system reset". Maybe that one word is the difference?? I was fully expecting to have to do lots of OS updates but didn't have to do any. ☺

Admin

I think you are right.

Sure is an interesting result and I hope things stay good, after the apps are added.

Lollipop 5.0.2 was finally released late this week and all seems to be working well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything continues to keep working well. :)

I have been on 4.2.2 on my Nexus7 since last post on this thread. Some apps have stopped working properly (incl Skype) so I didn't research, I just went for a system update - if it worked then fine, if it didn't I'd buy another tablet. I'm not flush with money but I have too much going on to worry about this.

I am now on 5.1.1 and thus far all seems ok (incl Skype) even if a tad s.l.o.o.o.w

Also, I've turned off notifications in Google Play Services which, as far as I read, will stop further updates being pushed my way.

Admin

Skype works, it just complains. You can update Google Play Services manually to get rid of the nag.

Nexus is next to useless now, it's so slow it's not worth having. It's like having a dodgy mouse, click and not sure if it's processing the click >:

Destined for the bin, but shall try Factory Data Reset first ...... erasing, no going back now :)

Admin

I have no doubt that if you take a little time rebuilding this that you will end up with a fully functioning device again. Stick to older versions as necessary. Most are available.