Firefox blocks every version of Flash

Author Comment

Admin

Results from Chromium?

Chromium works for every clip every time.

Why not use Chromium I hear you ask, I just prefer FF :)

Admin

That now rules out everything apart from Firefox and Flash.

Why would I repeat what has already been said?

As a workaround to this particular situation, you could try the user-agent switcher extension and select an iOS or Android UA when using the BBC website to view videos. This forces the BBC to send the video as HTML5, instead of them forcing a Flash version on you. This may affect how the rest of the site looks to you but the videos should work.

If you had tested using Firefox in Windows using the latest version of Flash, you would have found no issue.

A more general workaround may be to try the open with extension.

Thanks. I will try these :) but fast thinking that BBC site should be viewed with Chromium, I must train myself :lol

Admin

paul4 wrote:I must train myself :lol
Try the last suggestion first then. ;)

:P

I've dumped Flash entirely, and that's worked well for me for a couple of weeks now. :)

When I absolutely need Flash, I use Open With in Firefox or Develop > Open Page With in Safari to open the page in Google Chrome. That's been working fine. When I'm done, I quit Chrome.

To combat Chrome's nosiness, I've shut off every setting I can find that might talk back to Google. I even turn off the search suggestions, which I normally give into and use in other browsers. I have my home page set to about:blank, and all cookies, web apps, history, etc. are cleared when I close the browser. Since I open Chrome, view the video, and immediately close it, there's nothing to be gained by keeping anything.

I can't verify this one way or another, but I assume that Chrome sends every URL I visit back to Google. Given that I only open it a couple of times a week, view a single page, and immediately quit, I can put up with that possibility.

The only annoyance would have to do with Chrome's auto-update, which operates whether Chrome is running or not. That's actually OK when I'm on unlimited bandwidth: Chrome is always set and ready to go. But I don't want that happening on the rare occasions that I use my iPad as a hotspot, so when I do that, I'll have to remember to disable updating.

Unfortunately, controlling how Chrome updates involves Terminal commands. That's not a big deal for me, and a lot of users should be able to handle it. However, using Terminal will automatically scare some away.

I'm sure I could pull this off with Chromium instead, but I use that browser exclusively for managing my e-mail, and its Flash is disabled. (I use Apple's e-mail clients for most tasks, but some of the management, e.g. checking, assigning and removing labels, works better in the web interface.) I tried using Opera, but I couldn't get it to run Flash reliably.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the author of the article linked to above states:

When you install Google Chrome, you're not just getting a browser. Google's automatic update software gets installed behind the scenes on your Mac, without your consent.

That's not accurate. Chrome does ask to install this software (albeit not as clearly as it could), and you have to enter an administrative username and password to enable it.

I have no problem with streaming movies and shows, and other types of videos of any kind, but I do crash a lot. I really don't like Chrome but, it is getting to the point I'm may just as well make that my main "go to" browser.

MarieFlutterby wrote:
I have no problem with streaming movies and shows, and other types of videos of any kind, but I do crash a lot. I really don't like Chrome but, it is getting to the point I'm may just as well make that my main "go to" browser.

With that "late" post being said I was having adblock issues with Chrome just the same as FF as well but, I wasn't getting anymore issues with the streaming once I removed FF and updated myself with the Beta version of FF NOW I can "stream freely". lol

Most sites are not running HTML anymore most if not all are going towards the Beta, which is fine with me all I do is stream and load HD photo's. =0)