Highlighting with trackpad selects all

Author Comment

When I touch my curser, it seems to be highlighting everything.
It's nothing but a nuisance.
I have been into control panel and mouse, everything seems fine in there and I haven't touched anything to make it different.
Tried pressing Ctrl and Esc, worked for a while.

I'm still having problems, if anyone has any idea, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you. :)
Maybe time to visit Curry's again. :rolleyes

Since you mention "mouse," I'm assuming that you're using a mouse rather than a built-in trackpad. Is that correct?

If you have another mouse laying around, I'd try it to see if it produces the same issue.

Is this a mouse that requires software to be installed? If so, maybe you can uninstall the software and reinstall it. Maybe there's newer software on the manufacturer's website that you could try.

Admin

No, on Windows the trackpad settings are on a tab in the mouse section.

I doubt there is a newer driver but it is possible the driver is either corrupt or conflicting ... but save that 'til last.

Clean the trackpad. No furniture polishes or any of the like. Alcohol wipes, window cleaner of the clear ammonia type or a little dish washing detergent and water.

Failing that, turn down the sensitivity in the section of the control panel that you were at. This will differ from trackpad to trackpad, so just follow your nose. Try a few different positions on the slider. You may not have touched anything but these things do age and wear. Sometimes a compensatory adjustment is required. Also check to see if there is a setting for detecting accidental double-clicks and make sure that feature is turned on. (You may wish to try this both ways, in case there is an issue with that part of the driver.)

Failing that, uninstall the trackpad and mouse drivers, then reboot. (It may be hard to reboot if these become inoperative after uninstall.) After reboot, Windows will find the new hardware and install the drivers for it.

If that fails, there is a slim chance of malware but that is beyond the scope of forum posting. Let's skip that...

If that fails, plug in another pointing device and use that instead.

There may be another issue... It may be that your selection issue only occurs in IE. You may have inadvertently turned on Caret Browsing. This can be toggled by using the F7 key, while using IE.

There is also the chance you may have a sticky Shift, Ctrl or Alt key. You may be able to identify this by sharply tapping the keys one at a time and testing. e.g. Five sharp taps with your finger nail then test to see if the symptoms have gone. Perhaps also test the letter 'A'.

Thank you both.
The tapping of Shift, Ctrl or Alt key worked. :D

Well it worked for a while anyway.
I have been promised a new lappy for xmas. :D
I am hoping it lasts until the new year though so I can find a bargain. :)
It's not just the mouse, it's a very old lappy.

Admin

Never intended as a "fix", merely for diagnostic purposes.

I'm sure you would prefer a new laptop but please consider the following:

Any new laptop you may buy will likely come with Windows 10. There are privacy concerns with this. Otherwise, this is a better OS than windows 8.x.

If this is a keyboard failure, often a replacement keyboard is a quick and inexpensive task.

If it is not a keyboard failure, it may still be a driver issue. I note that Synaptics did indeed release a driver update and some of the bug fixes may be related, depending on your hardware.

There is always a chance that there is some other factor involved. e.g. the act of sharply tapping may have affected something deeper inside.

I would not scrap this, without proper diagnosis. Windows 7 is a valuable OS to keep. If it were mine, I would repair in all cases other than "other" hardware failure. IMHO, it is not likely worth the investment of say a motherboard replacement. Driver, keyboard, complete reinstall, are all worth doing. (Not saying that you should, but that these would be trustworthy and economic repairs [if correctly diagnosed].)

For example, if you were closer, I likely could replace the keyboard for £25-50. I would not do so though, without being 100% confident this was the cause. You get your machine back within an hour or two and all is exactly as you left it. If you wanted me to update the Synaptics driver for you, I would do this for under £10, with the condition that in total this would cost more due to time spent troubleshooting. (I absorbed this in the keyboard replacement.) If things ever got so bad that a complete reinstall was necessary, I would do this for say £50. For that, I also backup and restore all your data, reinstall all applications (provided I have these) and reinstate most of any settings you may have. e.g. I would reinstate not only your bookmarks but also your history and any customization you may have made. Duration for that would be 1-2 days but you would have a machine that flies and is as clean as a whistle.

In short, you would have £100-200 left to spare, which could be spent on other things. :)

(Yes, I am cheaper than Currys and would do a much more thorough job!)

I really don't want windows 10 Andrew, I didn't realise that it would be but I suppose we have to move on but windows 10 is not for me.
I get in such a tis when I take it to Curry's, I don't really know what I'm on about and they don't make you feel comfortable, they look at me as though i'm stupid.
Well I suppose I am really when it coms to technology.
I wish we were closer, I would defo take up your offer.