Draft Snooper's Charter "fails on spying powers and privacy protections"

Author Comment

Admin

Article from today's "the Guardian".

Personally, I am getting pretty fed-up with legalized invasion of privacy. While this draft may have failed, it shows what is in store for UK Internet users.

Is it getting time to just pull the plug? Perhaps go dark on the 'net now? That's sure to cause some suspicion! :lol

There is legalized snooping wherever one turns these days and somehow this needs to be stopped. We cannot all run away and live off the grid somewhere and without Internet, simply to gain some much needed privacy. I must admit though that the ability to do this will probably play a part in my next choice of location. Maybe we need to change countries, in order to gain more privacy and get back to feeling free again?

None of this makes me feel any more safe or secure. In fact, I feel very restricted and almost claustrophobic about the whole thing. I may sound like my Granny but personally, I would rather see policemen on street corners than cameras with loads of blind spots. I'd rather see detectives and agents employed to use their brains and skills rather than leave things to computers. Money is being spent on technology, instead of keeping people in jobs.

This is not how the Internet was intended to be. The Internet has gone from great to bad, since governments stepped in. The Internet worked just fine when it was self-policing and it really was quite a fun and exciting place to be. New generations are unaware of how things were though and obviously cannot compare. They're given the ability to lay their lives open to all and they do... because it is fed to them like a drug.

Some will know that I started using Linux instead of using M$, Apple or Android products. Reason: intrusiveness. Some will know that I will not use cloud products. Reason: intrusiveness. I do have issues with email and rarely say a whole lot in them. Certainly to be avoided for any sensitive data. I almost feel that I am being pushed away from the product (the Internet), in which I have had my hand in many ways. Pretty disgusted really.

I've had a cell-phone for over 20 years. I used to use it a lot. I went places on my own because simply having it with me gave me a sense of security. e.g. hill-walking and having an accident. This decade, I have hardly even taken my phone (which is more than just a phone these days) out of the house with me when I leave. I'm learning to go places in the dark with less fear. I'm even putting myself at risk by walking through some really dubious locations.

I will not give in to this intrusiveness! As anyone can see, I am losing out. I'm putting myself more at risk. Why? So-called "improvement".

Anyone else feel the same?

Yeah i feel that way also.
there have been times where someone has violated my privacy on the net and it shook me to the core.
how can the "government" know what we are doing on an everyday basis and they can't access Hilary's emails. ha

i do have a tablet and lately a message from comcast comes up no matter what i click on. i do not have the tablet on comcast.
wth
spying comes in all ways from every which way. even people you trust .

yep i am the granny who rather not have the net or the iphones, etc. i do have a cell but mostly for security < (that's a laugh) purposes.

too many ways to find out about people.
i do remember you saying about something that was sent to you in email . it was an innocent mistake but i do understand about it now.

i just remembered something; the other day i got an email from a deleted email address and i opened it thinking it was strange that i just deleted the addy and there was a message from it.. omg my anti virus caught it and told me it was malware or something like that.

Affective Computing

:hat

Admin

Coincidentally also from the UK, Olive Cooke, 92, killed herself after being inundated with pleas for money

How is this connected?

Mrs Cooke, who had direct debits to 27 charities, threw herself to her death in the Avon Gorge in Bristol last week after telling friends and family she ‘couldn’t give any more’. The Mail has discovered her name was on a list of donors maintained by shadowy data firms and sold on to charities.

Personal data being collected and sold.

The article is worth a read. It gives a good insight to a gem of a woman and how she fell foul of legalized snooping.

that is sad. she seemed a lovely person who did all she could do to help others.

i get calls everyday from numbers i do not know. most of the time i do not answer and the few times i do its someone
wanting to sell you something.

Admin

That's kinda funny! LOL Google is trying to send a message saying "You can trust us" and yet at least US Government agencies have lined Google's pockets in the past and this is likely ongoing.

If I take a step back, it really makes me think... US sues Apple. Apple sues Samsung. Samsung sues Apple. Various governments sue Google. These big companies are all busy suing each other and also butting heads with governments, as well as getting their pockets lined (generally) indirectly. What on earth is happening to the proceeds of all these cases? They line the lawyers' pockets. Where does it go after that? Who benefits next in the chain? It's like some new form of economy, where the ordinary Joe is frequently the victim and seldom gains a thing. I really wonder what the point is in the whole thing...

When it comes down to it, the question is who do you trust? Frankly, I trust none of them. As was put to me a while back, "it comes down to who you trust most". Do we really have to trust any of them? It's getting increasingly more difficult to live without doing so.

The article is indeed very thought provoking. (Thanks for posting it.) This does not mean "government hackers" don't know how to work around the defenses. This does not mean Google has not provided certain "government hackers" with an easy inroad. It just means Google has dreamed up quite an interesting set of metrics, which may indicate a certain type of "government hacker".

What will be next? Microsoft more or less acted as if it was going to take over the world. Is Google going to run for senate? Who trumps who? A large multi-national Company or a single country's government? Not much difference between the lot of them! LOL

Facebook users from EU countries (except Denmark and the UK) may come into a situation that they will need National ID cards to log into that network.

> Will you soon need a government ID to log into Facebook? (dailymail)