Photobucket unuseable these days?

Author Comment

Photobucket seems pretty unuseable these days. I was asked by Photobucket Support to outline my problems, with screenshots if they'd help. This is what I reported :

The main problem is logging in and getting a page that will allow me to continue. I will go through a series of tests ...................

Firstly using Firefox 50 on Linux Mint 17 - on my PC :

I loaded photobucket.com page and logged in using one of my accounts (all accounts have the same problem) and I can see in the address bar (because I have it set to show this) lots of activity, including

"waiting for blah blah"
"transferring data from blah blah"
"reading blah blah"
"connecting to blah blah" plus more.

After one or two minutes the Firefox activity indicator freezes, Firefox freezes, with any particular address shown static

I must add that if I try again and again, the address that it borks at is likely different from that shown, so it doesn't seem a diagnostic aid. The only way to continue is to kill the Firefox process.

Starting up Firefox again it continues to attempt to load Photobucket, with another round of addresses flashing up, borking at another one this time. I repeat the killing of the process and if I get a Firefox dialogue which allows me to uncheck a page (assuming I have multiple windows of Firefox in use) I can start again without Photobucket, else I just try again until it might get to completion and it says "done".

There is no pattern to this, apart from the plethora of addresses it flashes up.

I tried then on Firefox 50 on Linux Mint 17 - on my laptop :

Every bit similar to as on the PC.

Back to the PC, I then tried Chromium 53 on Linux Mint 17 :

It took about one minute to get to a login screen. Upon logging in and I can see in the lower information bar lots of activity, including

"waiting for blah blah"
"transferring data from blah blah"
"reading blah blah"

After one or two minutes the Chromium activity indicator freezes, Chromium freezes, and another static address shown

Killed and tried again and it had a different static address

Killed again and this time after about 3 minutes it managed to work. What I do notice now is that rather than showing libraries that I can go into to see images etc, it loads ALL of my images on the page - in fact reading more carefully it seems these are "recent uploads". This takes a lot of time even though I keep my image count trimmed, but could be a key to the overall problem?

Now rebooting into Windows (yuk) on my PC :

I get similar scenarios.

Now back to Firefox 50 on Linux Mint 17 - on my PC :

Froze at an address ................... and on my 5th attempt it managed to load

NOW we should be getting somewhere. I click Library and get my most recent thumbnails but oh no, another round of activity in the address bar. Goes on for another minute and then settles.

I click upload photos (to test) select one and after yet another load of activity, it seems to have worked.

To be honest if I was a user trying to use this, I'd have thrown my toys out of the pram before this

Now to log out :

As with logging in, I can see in the address bar another lot of activity

After one or two minutes the Firefox activity indicator freezes, Firefox freezes, and another static address

Unfortunately the trials of logging in are matched by the trials of logging out. It's less easy to test the logging out because I have to go through the rigours of logging in first. Will just say that again, the static address it borks at is different each time so of no diagnostic use there also.

I hope the above is of any help.

Then they replied with :

(Photobucket Support)

Hello,

Thank you for the additional information and the screenshots. I have attached our troubleshooting steps below that should help with the site issues you are experiencing. That said, the account paul4pix is a free account. As a free user, you will be subjected to ads while on the Photobucket site (based on the screenshots, ads seem to be loading for you). To remove ads, you would need to upgrade to one of our subscription plans found here: http : // photobucket.com/pricing.

Let's start troubleshooting with the following:

First, please clear out your browser's cache and cookies. You can learn how to do that with this article:
http:// support . photobucket . com/hc/en-us ... nd-Cookies

Please make sure your browser is supported and up to date:
http:// support . photobucket.com/hc/en-us ... ng-Systems

Then make sure you have Flash installed and that its updated:
http:// helpx . adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ ... layer.html

Also, check to see if Javascript is enabled (Javascript is different from Java):
http:// enable-javascript.com/

Add-ons and extensions can also affect your browsing experience. Most add-ons require that you give your permission before they are installed, however, some may be installed automatically: You may want to disable them to see if that solves the problem: http:// support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us ... xperience-

Also, you can try an alternate browser to ensure that this isn't a browser-specific issue. Google Chrome is a favorite in our office. It has important web technologies such as Adobe Flash and Java built-in, and updates automatically. You can find it at www. google.com/chrome

Additionally, while working in your album, make sure that you're working out of only one instance (window/tab) or Photobucket - ie, do not open multiple tabs of your album(s) while moving photos, deleting, etc.

Apologise if links in the previous post needed to be disabled, I will break them now :)

I replied :

Excuse me for saying, but your suggestions seem rather general and not specifically aimed at solving my problems. But whatever, I have followed :

Cache and cookies cleared

Browser IS up to date

Flash IS installed and up to date

Javascript IS enabled

All addons disabled

Login successful after about 4 minutes. Once logged in I tried to upload an image and 20 minutes later it still hasn't actioned, my browser activity indicator still rotating. Browser is in effect frozen for any other use.

The inference, maybe I'm wrong here, is that as a free user I am struggling. Are "you" inferring that I would need to upgrade to a subscription plan in order that Photobucket works? I use multiple (free) accounts for different purposes (and forums) and that would make it untenable.

I just tried loading PB on Firefox and had to kill it. I then tried on Chromium and ignored the activity indicator and flashing addresses, just forged ahead with an upload and lo and behold it did it.

I posted the image on a forum. I then tried to log out and it took 4 mins.

I gave up with PB a while ago Paul. :(
It seems to work not too bad with yuku but if I bring a tab up on it's own it takes ages to add anything or to view.

Admin

I'm in the middle of integrating an image upload and post tool into a phpBB forum because so many people are having issues with Photobucket.

@paul4 Suspicion and feedback tend to suggest that the use of ad-blockers makes things worse. You may not be using an ad-blocker but you certainly are blocking advertising domains in your hosts file. People testing say that allowing ads is better but still really bad.

The moral of the story:
DirtyDancer wrote:I gave up with PB a while ago

Ah ha, you just triggered a thought. Maybe try Chrome on my tablet :)

It worked but e..v..e..r s..o s..l..o..w..l..y

Image upload and post tool in phpBB - won't that have bandwidth implications if the board is busy / active?

Admin

Many hostings have unlimited bandwidth. Images can be optimized. Caching can be set to a large value. It's a reasonable option for well-used forums.

A perfect illustration of how little I know :\ :lol

I had another email from Photobucket Support, they said

Thank you for the reply and for running through the troubleshooting steps (we send those because they solve the majority of issues encountered). Pulling up the account, all the images load immediately and I have not had any issues moving within the account.

I have gone ahead and added an AdFree subscription to your account so that you may see if that clears up the problems you are running into on your end. This subscription is set to expire on February 1, 2017.

I tested and indeed Photobucket loaded and I logged in pretty rapidly, the only activity indication was photobucket-related !! . BUT when I logged out it ran into the same

"waiting for blah blah"
"reading blah blah"

After several minutes the Firefox activity indicator freezes, Firefox freezes. I had to Force Quit Firefox.

I then tested using Chromium. This allowed logging in pretty rapidly but again when logging out it ended up with the same activity(none of this photobucket-related) and Chromium freezing.

So removing ads solved the IN problem but not the OUT problem.

I suppose I could temporarily substitute a "slimmed down" hosts file and test again, but am reluctant to do that in case I mess up.

Admin

Your hosts file/s is/are your primary protection from all evil. I would never tamper with my own but I WOULD use another site if one refused to work by MY expectations.

You will note how PhotoBucket also suspected this may be ads related.

I think the conclusion here is that Photobucket no longer works in a nice manner and instead is grasping to make money. I cannot blame them but I do not like the way they are doing things. Try Google Images (formerly Picasa), imgur, etc. instead.

If you defined the "blah blah"s and "none of this photobucket-related", the answer would likely be found. "Curing" or working around the issue/s are not likely to be desirable though. Depends on your priorities.

andrew wrote:If you defined the "blah blah"s and "none of this photobucket-related", the answer would likely be found.

blah blahs defined as didn't contain "photobucket", included :

t.lkqd.net
api.content-ad.net
ak-ns.sascdn.com
vast.bp3859341.btril.com
rtb.altitude-arena.com
vid-eo.springserve.com
n6-aux-log.vertamedia.com
and many more

what I defined as photobucket-related, all "things" which contained "photobucket" :

eg. waiting for i571.photobucket.com

Yes, decided not to tamper with hosts file, since I am effectively only trying to troubleshoot for PB :eek

Will try a.n.other image host. I guess I will warn others on my (fishing) sites that PB is causing problems and I might recommend they drop it. Of course they may not be experiencing problems if they allow ads and intrusive stuff on their computers :eek

Admin

1. t.lkqd.net - Video ads not blocked by hosts file.
  2. api.content-ad.net - Ads not blocked by hosts file.
  3. ak-ns.sascdn.com - Sign that you have a PUP on your system. Try to identify and remove. Not blocked by hosts file.
  4. vast.bp3859341.btril.com Unpleasant adware. Not blocked by hosts file.
  5. rtb.altitude-arena.com - Video ads not blocked by hosts file.
  6. vid-eo.springserve.com - Video ads not blocked by hosts file.
  7. n6-aux-log.vertamedia.com - Video ads not blocked by hosts file.
You know what I would try? Disable all your Flash addons temporarily. (requires browser restart).

Yes, you could start adding these to your hosts file. You don't want or need these. Just make your own new section at the end and follow the pattern. It is necessary to specify the full subdomain and no wildcards or regexs are permitted, unfortunately.

# [Photobucket Ads]
127.0.0.1     t.lkqd.net
127.0.0.1     api.content-ad.net
127.0.0.1     ak-ns.sascdn.com
127.0.0.1     vast.bp3859341.btril.com
127.0.0.1     rtb.altitude-arena.com
127.0.0.1     vid-eo.springserve.com
127.0.0.1     n6-aux-log.vertamedia.com
Hosts file requires root access and a reboot to take affect.

I'm not wasting time, am just spending time.

Please don't waste yours, or indeed spend ...... :)

That was only seven I identified as examples, there were loads more (I video'ed on my mobile and paused to read and transcribe). If I add thos to hosts file I'd need to identify t'others too. Would take a while.........

t.lkqd.net
api.content-ad.net
ak-ns.sascdn.com
vast.bp3859341.btril.com
rtb.altitude-arena.com
vid-eo.springserve.com
n6-aux-log.vertamedia.com

plus

p.algovid.com
s23.algovidit.com
www35.glam.com
pic2.pbsrc.com
pippio.com
p.adssymptotic.com
sy.eu.angsrvc.com
cdn.hiberniacdn.com
c1.adform.net
ac.eu.angsrvc.com
w w w .facebook.com
sync.mathtag.com
eventlog.videe.tv...
vast.bp3861027.btrll.com...
sync.rhythmxchange.com...
scoring-log.videe.tv...
rtb.altitude-arena.com...
match.adsby.bidtheatre.com...
vast.vertamedia.com...
arena.altitudeplatform.com...
c.us1.dyntrk.com...
k.steamrail.com...
ssp.steamrail.net...

and likely more :\

The ones ending ... are taken from Chromium which displays differently to FF

All the above taken from a PB account which is NOT that which they have applied a temporary ads removal

On the account where they HAVE applied tempory ads removal it logged in properly where all activity included "photobucket". However when logging OUT it displayed lots of stuff including some extras

tags.rllcll.com...
vast.ssp.optimatic.com...
sync.adaptv.advertising.com...

and likely more :\

How to identify and remove PUP on linux? Comodo didn't identify ( not sure whether it would).

I tried Google Photos - it wanted to back up my images.

I tried Imgur - I tried with mobile APP, was hard to follow. I tried with PC, more stuff and buttons - I uploaded a test image (a patch of grass) and I got a comment within minutes from a "kinky-named" person full of swearing. When I read "viral" I think it's Facebooky and used by oddballs. I deleted image and backed away smartly

I tried TinyPics and got a mass of stuff like with Photobucket

I read that Flickr needed a yahoo address

I gave up, more important things to do :)

I'm not wasting time, am just spending time.

Please don't waste yours, or indeed spend ...... :)

Admin

F12 > Network would have been quicker)

Only if one knew that - for everyone else it's the long slog :P

Will look when next on pc. Thanks.

Ah ha :eek . Logged in to PB and it shows 907 requests (logging in) and 880 requests (logging out)

Too much info to know what to do with it all. Green padlocks and red-strikethrough padlocks seem relevant

Admin

That is ridiculous! No wonder people are having issues. A modern browser will wait rather than try and render a broken page.

10/10 for ingenuity though)